New Year Audax Resolutions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Klaus

First 100k done ever was Emitremmus a week ago, already considering the 100k "Kennet Valley" and "Start of Summertime". Considering Emitremmus was quite a struggle for me I am going for some more punishment. Hopefully I get enough hill training in until then.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
For your first 600 I would strongly recommend doing one of the established calendar events with a large field rather than a DIY.
One of the biggest benefits of these rides is the advice you get, when you need it, from people who have done it before, a few words at the right moment being worth more than a book-full at any other time. Also a 600 can be a hard and lonely journey, even during a big event. It's a big help when you find someone with compatible speed to ride with during the night sections. Overtaking others on the road, and being overtaken also provide occasional lifts.

Also many of the calendar 600s will have food and sleeping facilities at some point.

yello

Also many of the calendar 600s will have food and sleeping facilities at some point.

And that makes a HUGE difference. Riding alone, I don' mind but knowing you can grab a few hours decent kip on-route makes life easier. As does a plate of food as silly hours o'clock.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Other than that, I'd also like to do a section of the Eurovelo 6, from Nevers to Budapest perhaps. I haven't done any touring in a good while and my bike's beginning to sulk!

Be prepared to be bored as you pedal along the Doubs and onto Mulhouse. It is the most boring stretch of EV6 between St Nazaire and Passau.

HAndy

Could someone please explain (in simple words) DIY? I would like to do an SR in 2012, does DIY mean I can set my own course? My main issue is the 600, I have, on recommendation, the Brian Chapman. However if I can just ride 600km it makes things a bit easier

DIYs are AUK events where you set your own route, and the proof of passage can be either the old fashioned way - receipts etc., or by GPS. Make sure you know the rules before you do one, 600k is a long way to go to lose the ride on a technicality.

I think there is great value in sticking to calendar events for your first attempt at each distance, or joining a group DIY where an experienced AUK leads the ride. I reckon my Bryan Chapman (despite 8200m of climbing) with 150 others and much TLC from the organising team was easier than a flat solo 600.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Finally got my first SR in 2011, hope to repeat the achievement in 2012. Would like to do a fixed SR. Would also like to do a few continental brevets.

Even having successfully done a calendar 600, I would find a DIY 600 extremely tough. It's not just the convenience of proper controls that makes a calendar 600 a more attractive prospect, it's the moral support and camaraderie you get from your fellow riders.

d.

Dan_h

I will be aiming to get the Randonneur 1000, I think I can do it so fingers crossed :becool:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
After not planning on doing much this year I am now attempting RRTY done the first two 200s november and December.may substitute one month for a 300 to qualify for Rando 1000. I am doing a nice flat 200 DIY first week of Jan. Barry to Slimbridge via Magor and back. My first attempt at DIY.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
...I would find a DIY 600 extremely tough. It's not just the convenience of proper controls that makes a calendar 600 a more attractive prospect, it's the moral support and camaraderie you get from your fellow riders.

d.
DIYs with company are often easier. Solo ones can test your resolve. I remember a hilly 600 some years ago when it rained so hard that I had to carry my bike through thigh-deep water at one point. In the small hours I tried to grab some sleep, wrapped in an old flaking space blanket, in a damp smelly bus shelter. Giving up, I emerged to continue, shivering and covered in glitter.
But don't let me put you off.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Master plan is to just do a few more than this year which was my first dabble into Audax.The biggy i did this year was the Cotswold Classic 212km on the fixie,i'll do that again next year as it was a cracking ride.Other than that,no set goals,just pick and choose what suits time and money (travel money...NOT the cost of entering which is still the best value going ! )

Klaus

First 100k done ever was Emitremmus a week ago, already considering the 100k "Kennet Valley" and "Start of Summertime". Considering Emitremmus was quite a struggle for me I am going for some more punishment. Hopefully I get enough hill training in until then.

Have booked the Kennet 100 (end Feb) and Summertime 110 (end March) - best policy I find is to book rather than just think about it. December has been slow for getting out due to weather and Christmas preps but still hope to have enough time to stay fit and get fitter ....

Top Bottom