New Year Audax Resolutions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikingChris

Good point about taking a map...

I learnt very quickley not to blindly follow other riders thinking that they were keeping up with the directions and that the directions are not always right ! You need to keep your whits about you.

I also need to get better at pacing and nutrition but thats another story...

rb58

Enigma
I'll be new to Audax this year, but am aiming for SR as well. Just need to learn to read a map!

rb58

Enigma
Okay. So, I've just joined Audax UK. And am now scouring for events, so it's serious. Can anyone answer one wuick question for me? Do you get to know the route in advance of the start of an event, or is it given to you when you arrive?

Thanks

martint235

Dog on a bike
Okay. So, I've just joined Audax UK. And am now scouring for events, so it's serious. Can anyone answer one wuick question for me? Do you get to know the route in advance of the start of an event, or is it given to you when you arrive?

Thanks
Snap I've just joined too!!! Time to start racking up the SR events!

Nuncio

Über Member
Do you get to know the route in advance of the start of an event, or is it given to you when you arrive?
Thanks
In advance, usually a week or two before the event. What you will not know before the day, for obvious reasons, are the questions for the info controls. Assuming there are any, they will be printed on the brevet card given to you at the start.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I am planning on doing a Super Randonneur this year in preparation for doing LEL in 2013
That's exactly what I have planned too.

I've got a copy of Simon Doughty's well regarded book The Long Distance Cyclists' Handbook (ISBN 0 7136 6832 6) and am following his training programme for a 600km.

I started it mid-December and should be doing 600km at the end of August. Obviously the programme has you riding 200, 300 & 400km along the way, so I hope to find recognised events to coincide with them.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You should receive a routesheet before the event. More organisers are putting routes on the web, either on their own sites or on the space AUK allows for relevant files (map, routesheet, gps). It's a good idea to familiarise yourself with the route beforehand (using a map, paper or online), or at least check where the controls are.

Anecdote: On a ride from Bath that turned at West Bay on the Dorset Coast, a fellow cyclist peered out to sea and asked, "Shouldn't I be able to see Wales from here?".

*All my routesheets, past and present, can be found at www.ukcyclist.co.uk.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Which gives you time to learn the arcane language of the audax route sheet:

R@T (eff.SO) sp VILLAGE
or
1x@MRAB

of course each organiser uses slightly different abbreviations :laugh:

You're definitely being mischievous. I've yet to see a routesheet that doesn't explain its abbreviations. But okay, yes, they do vary. I'd have written:-

R at T (actual SO) sp VILLAGE
1st exit mini rbt

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Hi TMN :hello: I'm signed up for both of those as well! :smile: Glad to know there'll be a friendly face to watch for. I'm going by train to and from - we'll see how well that works out. :rolleyes:

My one audax experience (the Flitchbike 100 last June - highly recommend BTW) taught me speed isn't everything. My downfall was time management for stops. :tongue:

My speed will be whatever it is on the day, not going to sweat that.

Love LouiseL's and Arallsopp's advice - thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Weirdly enough, I was eyeing this one up last night and will be posting off the entry form tomorrow, possibly roping my boyfriend in too as he's good at the moral support/poking with a stick thing. At least you're all guaranteed not to be the slowest person on the ride :thanks:

Top Bottom