New Year Audax Resolutions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
How important is a GPS unit in doing an Audax? I don't have one and my phone's not got mapping on.

I can probably switch to one temporarily or buy a GPS unit if needed. However, I'm fairly proficient in the use of paper maps.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
How important is a GPS unit in doing an Audax? I don't have one and my phone's not got mapping on.

I can probably switch to one temporarily or buy a GPS unit if needed. However, I'm fairly proficient in the use of paper maps.

You shouldn't need either gps or paper maps. The routesheet should be an adequate guide. It is, however, wise to check the routesheet against a map prior to riding. Having said that, I've done countless events without any of that, and only very occasionally got lost.

Camrider

I think the vast majority of audax riders don't bother with GPS. I've not carried maps on the 2 100km rides I've done so far but I will when stepping up the distances this year in case I need to find a short cut back but hopefully it will stay unused in the pannier.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Two forms of route storage...
6653685495_66f1569648.jpg

Weirdly enough, I was eyeing this one up last night and will be posting off the entry form tomorrow, possibly roping my boyfriend in too as he's good at the moral support/poking with a stick thing. At least you're all guaranteed not to be the slowest person on the ride :thanks:
Yay, ABV!! The El Supremo, right? And yes sign DB up too, it'd be nice to meet him. :smile:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Huh? GPS? Much too hi-tech for me. I know it's early in my audaxing career, but so far I've stuck more closely to the true spirit of Audax with the plastic bag, velcro and rusty bulldog clip solution:

View attachment 6006

The first ride I ever did with a route-sheet was a challenge - my colleague insisted he knew the route but his memory turned out to be faulty, and the route sheet fell apart early on due to being pulled out of my back pocket every 200 yards in the rain. Best to havethe instructions on view the whole time :thumbsup:.

I normally rewrite the route card onto 5 or 6 small cards in larger print then laminate with plastic for waterproofing.You only need a small route card holder then. It definitely doesnt pay to just follow a group like sheep unless you dont think the planned route is long enough ^_^

No need for an expensive route card holder. This one has lasted me about 10 audax rides and still going strong is a cut down clipboard from the pound shop wrapped in tape to water proof it then cable tied to the stem. My first one was the lid off a takeaway curry tub taped to the stem with route cards held on with rubber bands. Worked fine but made me feel hungry.
001-9.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The plastic ziplock bag supplied with your brevet card (sometimes you have to ask for it) is big enough to take an A4 sheet folded in 4. Adequate waterproofing for your routesheet.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think GPS becomes more useful in the dark. Mine's all set up to beep and light up the screen as each turn approaches. I'd struggle to complete winter 200s in time if I had to keep checking route sheet/map.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I bought a cheap laminator from Asda, about £9 and laminate my routesheets, perfect waterproofing. As for resolutions, I intend to ride my first 300km Audax having missed out last year. I need at least one for the CTC tourist competition if I want a top 10 finish. I managed 13th last year and an away 300 would have done the trick. here's hoping!!

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I'm starting to doubt myself and wonder if I'm actually ready for this or whether I should hold off for a couple of months, especially as it now looks as if I'll be doing it by myself. Roughly how long do you get to complete a 100km Audax?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I'm starting to doubt myself and wonder if I'm actually ready for this or whether I should hold off for a couple of months, especially as it now looks as if I'll be doing it by myself. Roughly how long do you get to complete a 100km Audax?
The minimum speed for most 100k events is 12.5 kph - so 8 hours including stops. If it's not hilly that's usually plenty of time to ride at a steady pace and faff around with directions!

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Ach that sounds achieveable then and I think I just lack confidence and I'd be beating myself up about it for the next year if I didn't complete it in enough time or at all. I'm hoping to have a new bike in time for it so that should help too.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I was very nervous before my first 100k Audax, but just tried to think of it as four 25k rides with short rests in between and managed to get round with no problems. Admittedly riding with a companion did help, but in some ways riding alone takes the pressure off as you can ride as fast or as slow as you like without worrying about anyone else.

By the time the ride comes around you'll have a few more miles in your legs and hopefully be feeling more confident :smile:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Oops, apologies - think I looked at the wrong ride - the Dave Hudson rides have 15kph minimum, so about 6hrs and 40mins, so a bit less time :blush:

Obviously that means you might need to be more disciplined at the food stops, but probably still do-able if you're comfortable riding at a steady pace.

Top Bottom