England : Greater Manchester New Years day ride around Mancunia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I must remember to say thanks for that picture in person next time we meet :boxing:

Has anyone heard from Ali since the ride? I guess he is going to feel pretty beaten up today :surrender:
It's actually a very clever merging of two pics but you are still very welcome!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
He is apparently a pretty good club runner, so I suspect he would have the VO2 fitness just not the bike fitness. I am sure @YahudaMoon will know how he got on/is.
I know that a different mix of muscles is involved in the two activities but it surprised me when I first discovered how significant the difference was. In the 1980s, I used to run a few miles twice a week, and swim three times a week, but I never cycled. A friend used to commute by bike but never ran. We were wondering what was harder - running or cycling, so I went for a ride and he went for a run. We both ended up knackered!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I know that a different mix of muscles is involved in the two activities. ut it surprised me when I first discovered how significant the difference was. In the 1980s, I used to run a few miles twice a week, and swim three times a week, but I never cycled. A friend used to commute by bike but never ran. We were wondering what was harder - running or cycling, so I went for a ride and he went for a run. We both ended up knackered!
I went for a ride in Wales the other day with a mate who wants to start tri's this year. He swims and runs regularly but was spent after a 35 mile ride with a pretty sedate pace. There is definitely fit and bike specific fitness. I seriously doubt I could post a half decent 10k run time while I enjoy a fairly brisk century on the bike.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Potsy is looking very wistfully at Skolly's brekkie there.
They were both looking at my healthy big breakfast when it arrived ! :hungry:

stevede

Just a belated quick note to say thanks from the newbie, and the warm welcome received. Didn't think I was going to do the whole lot and in the end, got just as wet as I would have done on the road bike minus mudguards.

Very enjoyable all the same. The best bit? The fact I didn't ache half as much as I expected to this morning ^_^

Will look out for the next one. Thanks again :thumbsup:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just a belated quick note to say thanks from the newbie, and the warm welcome received. Didn't think I was going to do the whole lot and in the end, got just as wet as I would have done on the road bike minus mudguards.

Very enjoyable all the same. The best bit? The fact I didn't ache half as much as I expected to this morning ^_^

Will look out for the next one. Thanks again :thumbsup:
Good to meet a fellow Steve from Aston -Under -Lyne ! It must be a record to have three either living or from the same town on a cycle ride.

Top Bottom