newb to f/ss - new bike recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kikzen

hi

i want to purchase a new bike for getting around town. my only bike at the moment is a commuter and i dont want to be meeting mates in central london on teh weekend with a luggage rack on the back!

these bikes look pretty cool although the idea of a pure fixed bike scares me a little - no coasting? je-sus! but anyway i just wanted some recommendations. i figure i can spend around £500 but preferably closer to £400. from the point above, a singlespeed i guess would be better to me?

also im in north london - if anyone can recommend a LBS at the same time, that would be awesome (i do quite like two wheels good, stoke newington)!

cheers!
x

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Kikzen

If you don't want mudguards, Pearsons in Sutton are doing Giant Bowrey for £225, Alu frame fixed or S/S, bargain.
If you want guards, then they do the Alu Touche and Hanzo too.
I really like the Lemond Filmore as I'm partial to Cro-mo frames and the Filmore just looks so nicely made and finished.

Fixed takes a short-sharp learning curve to go through, but for many it's highly rewarding. IMO S/S is the worsts of most worlds.

There's a lot of choice these days, when I started fixed wheel riding you had to build your own from an old race frame.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Giant Bowery. You should be able to get a deal on one of last years bikes because the new ones are out(some of them are abit ugly)
Dont let fixed scare you. I started riding it a few times a week to get used to it, and have done 2 weeks on the fixed no problem. I dont really think about coasting on it now, and dont think, must keep pedling. Relax on them, one you get the feeling and can let the pedals move your legs around it feels normal and you can ride fixed for ages.:biggrin:
I built my own fixed up for an old road frame, and i love it:biggrin:

dudi

I'm with these guys on the info given. the bowery is very nice...

Also, You'll probably find that you never ride the S/S option,.like FabFoodie said it's the woerst of both worlds. the only benefit of S/S is that you can coast down hills. but then i guess it makes it a little more difficult to get up the hills as you don't have your momentum to help push the pedals round.

I started riding fixed at the beginning of this year, before there were all this choice in bikes and built my own from an old racer. if i were to buy a new one i'd probably go for the bowery

Joe

Über Member
I've just ordered a Bowery as it happens. Needed something cheap for getting to uni etc. Looking forward to it!;)
Not to steal your thread but does anyone know...
a) What width bars, and whether they are OS, you get on the S size?
:ohmy: If you can get the decals off easily?

OP
OP
kikzen

kikzen

again forgive my ignorance, but dudi what do you mean 'ill probably never ride the SS option' - if i strolled in to my local shop and picked out a bike, they could switch between fixed and single speed? i imagine its just a part-change, but do all bikes of this nature come with this option?

dudi

Sorry Kikzen, didn't explain myself very well.
The majority of these S/S bikes come with a rear wheel that has a double sided (flip/flop) hub. on one side they will have a freewheel and on the other side they'll have a fixed sprocket. The bowery comes with a 17 tooth freewheel and a 17 tooth sprocket.

All you need to do to change between them is swap the wheel round the other way. it's quite handy, but you'll swing one way or the other most likely...

FujiFixed

Hi, I just got a Fuji Track for £284 from biddles, added a 105 caliper and BMX lever and also downsized the 48t chainring and after a week of commuting to get used to it I love it, highly recommended.
Had somme dodgy moments the first couple of outings though....

Moose

Do Pearsons still have any Bowery's left? Last time I looked on their web site they'd sold them all? I'm picking one up tomorrow that I'm buying for £200, not ridden more than a couple of miles with upgraded tyres.

Joe

Über Member
Pearsons are sold out sadly. I ordered mine from Moose cycles (not you I take it!) for £270 but it turned out they have sold out too. So I ordered another from cyclexpress, which with a couple of discount codes found in my inbox came to £284. Hopefuly they actually have them in stock!

Moose

Joe said:
Pearsons are sold out sadly. I ordered mine from Moose cycles (not you I take it!) ....quote]

Unfortunately not. Picked mine up today, mint condition, very pleased, just need chance to ride it (probably at the weekend):eek:

Top Bottom