Newbe question about pedals!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisGW115

Hi All, I am new to riding and have purchased myself aScott Sportster 55 for commuting and also for trail riding.

I need some help choosing pedals, the stock peddles the bike comes with arebasic and i keep slipping off them. I would like some clip in peddles that aresuitable for the stop start would of commuting but also would be fine for roughtrails.

Can anyone help?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Double sided SPDs like these ones from CRC.

And they're 'pedals', BTW :biggrin:

You'll need shoes to match, and the cleats come with the pedals.
I use SPDs for everything - touring, road bike, the lot.
Very secure, and you can walk in them for cafes, shopping and such.

If you've never used clip in pedals before everyone, (well mostly, and myself included) will recommend you start of with THESE, (or similar SPD).

Main reason being, they are relatively cheap, the shoes are easier to walk in, they are double sided so therefore easier to clip in/out.

You can usually pick them up even cheaper off ebay, (shoes as well), and then if you decided to progress into Speedplay/Time/Look etc in the future the SPD's peds & shoes will be very easy to sell on :thumbsup:

[EDIT] oops, slight cross post with TheDoctor :biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Good points well made, smoo.
Except...I progressed to SPD from Look after almost sliding over on Look cleats in a cafe.
I nearly dropped my tea and cake.
SPDs are dead easy to walk in
thumbsup.png

Good points well made, smoo.
Except...I progressed to SPD from Look after almost sliding over on Look cleats in a cafe.
I nearly dropped my tea and cake.
SPDs are dead easy to walk in
thumbsup.png

That's why I say start with SPD's then progress, (if you want to) :biggrin: Of course you may never want to. I tend not to walk very far off the bike TBH, so I use Speedplay Zero on my CAAD, and SPD-SL's on my commuter. I was going to use SPD on the commuter but my Northwave boots won't take the cleats, D'oh! So it was cheaper to whack SPD-SL's on it than it was to buy new boots :thumbsup:

FWIW Speedplay do make cleat covers, I have them, but I only use them for walking over the gravel from the shed to the drive :tongue:

henshaw11

BTW - if you buy some 520s (or anything else), check that they come with cleats. They *usually* do - and I'm pretty sure those sold by CRC do, 'cos I bought some a while back - but occasionally some don't, and the cleats on their own are about a tenner.

zexel

Veteran
Couldn't agree more. A potential hot beverage/patisserie calamity such as this understandably justifies a different pedal system, no matter what, if any, the performance trade-off. You can't be too careful where cake is concerned.

'Cafe' cleats my arse.

:rofl:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Double sided SPDs like these ones from CRC.

And they're 'pedals', BTW :biggrin:

You'll need shoes to match, and the cleats come with the pedals.
I use SPDs for everything - touring, road bike, the lot.
Very secure, and you can walk in them for cafes, shopping and such.

Yep, they are great pedals.

Top Bottom