Newbie needing bike advice :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gshaw

Hi all,

Last year I randomly decided to give cycling a go again having never really managed to get the hang of it first time round in my teens (now a bit older than that!). Having moved to a new area with a lot more bike-friendly scenery I bought the cheapest bike I could find on Shpock for £30 and headed out to the local park to see how it went, followed by really going for it on a woodland trail with plenty of obstacles to give me a proper challenge.

As you can probably guess all went well and I've now found some nice routes to potter around on and enjoying the workout it brings. However I suspect I may need to upgrade the bike to move forward as it can be hard work going up some of the steep hills round these parts.

Having Googled the bike and the brand (Apollo FS26) I'm now aware it's known as a "BSO" and I suspect the frame is rather heavy by all accounts.

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/apollo/fs-26-20-mens-2009

Being used it probably has numerous bits that need servicing as it does creak and shake like a good'un when bouncing over muddy terrain. Took me a while to realise I was running around on at least one flat tyre too (!) and I think the brakes also need adjusting as one seems to be catching on the wheel.

I went to a local cycle shop today (Cycle King) and saw their Ammaco MTB but having searched up on that it also appears to be in BSO territory so seems a lot of the shops are a bit of a minefield, pushing their own import brands. Sounds like Decathlon are a bit better in that regard though so perhaps I should go there instead?

I also found out about a local bike recycle project that would've been the ideal place to find something but they closed down today, literally 2 hours before I found out about them on Google :sad:

So basically looking for advice on what type of bike I should be looking for (hybrid vs MTB), somewhere trustworthy to get it from and someone to explain gears in a simpler way than all the videos I've been looking at (!)

I've got 1-3 on the left-hand shifter, 1-5 on the right-hand shifter and just need to simply remember which number to put each on for going uphill. There's so much info about big cog \ small cog it gets rather confusing to say the least (or maybe it's just me!)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The first thing to consider is what do you want to use the bike for?

What you've got now is a basic mountain bike (and yes, it's a BSO but that's OK as a start).

There's mountain bikes, hybrids, cyclocross/gravel bikes, race/road bikes, etc. A nice simple guide is here: https://www.centurycycles.com/buyers-guides/bicycle-types-how-to-pick-the-best-bike-for-you-pg9.htm

Decathlon's a good start as they have everything from mountain bikes through to good road bikes for a decent price. That's why you'll find lots of CC members have them.

The Ammaco will be down at the bottom end of the price range, not dissimilar to Apollo. So your budget's the next thought ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
gshaw

gshaw

The first thing to consider is what do you want to use the bike for?

What you've got now is a basic mountain bike (and yes, it's a BSO but that's OK as a start).

There's mountain bikes, hybrids, cyclocross/gravel bikes, race/road bikes, etc. A nice simple guide is here: https://www.centurycycles.com/buyers-guides/bicycle-types-how-to-pick-the-best-bike-for-you-pg9.htm

Decathlon's a good start as they have everything from mountain bikes through to good road bikes for a decent price. That's why you'll find lots of CC members have them.

The Ammaco will be down at the bottom end of the price range, not dissimilar to Apollo. So your budget's the next thought ...

Thanks for the quick reply :smile:

It'll be one of mountain bike, cyclocross or hybrid. The woodland run I go on is rather bumpy and uneven so I guess MTB is more suitable for that, not sure if the hybrid \ cyclocross are meant for that as there's not even a path in places, just the most trodden muddy bits ^_^

Budget wise a few hundred I guess, £200-300 perhaps? I'd start getting worried about a more expensive bike being stolen when I have to park it up to go grab a drink etc. Even now I end up removing all my gadget bits and pieces when it's out of my sight...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi and welcome @gshaw a bit more info please
Are you doing off road ie rough terrain riding or just off road on grassy / gravel paths ?
Do you need suspension at all ?
What is your budget ?
Are you handy at fixing things ?

For new Decathlon are hard to beat in a lot of ways , are there any "good " local bike shops that sell 2nd hand bikes ?

DCLane

OK. If your budget's £200-300 then consider:

Cyclocross - Halfords Crixus is one of those in your budget at £240. A bit heavy but usable. My son has one for winter commuting: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/cyclocross-bikes/carrera-crixus-limited-edition-cx-bike

Hybrid with suspension - Decathlon's Riverside hybrid is £250: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-500-hybrid-bike-red-id_8405208.html

Mountain bike - Decathlon's Rockrider series is popular and this one's £260: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-st-520-mountain-bike-275-yellow-id_8360662.html

As @biggs682 has put you will get a lot more for your money second-hand but have to be careful how much use it's had.

You would also be surprised how much abuse a bike can take. I did the coast-to-coast ride using the mountain bike trail on a Specialized Secteur road bike and regularly ride off-road on my Wilier Montegrappa road bike. A cyclocross bike would be fine ...

OP
OP
gshaw

gshaw

Hi and welcome @gshaw a bit more info please
Are you doing off road ie rough terrain riding or just off road on grassy / gravel paths ?
Do you need suspension at all ?
What is your budget ?
Are you handy at fixing things ?

For new Decathlon are hard to beat in a lot of ways , are there any "good " local bike shops that sell 2nd hand bikes ?

I mainly like going off-road but it will see a bit of pavement \ tarmac to get to and from the locations below.
Woodland, sometimes paths sometimes mud (not always this flat)
103159_63889d9a.jpg

and \ or that concrete mesh used to make a path along the seafront or a trail like below (the incline on this is evil, or maybe just the heavy frame!)
hadleigh-castle.jpg

Suspension - I guess nice to have for the bumpier areas but I've read that particularly rear suspension is rather inefficient in terms of losing power when on road? Bike shop today mentioned to just go for front and leave the rear fixed (hardtail as I've seen it called?)

Budget, say £200-300 either new or used, not fussed on that front

Fixing, hmmm pretty new to bikes really so at the mercy of YouTube videos. Would prefer to not have to strip down gears and chains if I can help it as the bike really is for leisure and fitness building at evenings \ weekends.

Also have to add a comfy seat is a must, already swapped mine once...

DCLane

@gshaw - a cyclocross bike is fine on those, so don't limit yourself. However they tend to hold their value so Halfords' Crixus is about the only one available.

Otherwise a hardtail is more appropriate: you don't need full suspension.

Finally, keep the Apollo and learn maintenance using that first. That way you can make mistakes and not worry too much about the consequences!

Cycleops

Legendary Member

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This screams to me early non suspension Steel mtb like Marin Bear Valley , Giant , early Muddy Fox's , Saracen and such beasts
And like @DCLane say's keep the Apollo as a back up bike and use it to learn re diy repairs

Avoid twist grip gear changes

Alwaysbroken

There are loads of really tidy bikes for sale used, I bought an immaculate 2011 Giant Trance 3 for my son for £350.

If you go for a hard tail you should pick up a good spec quality used bike. There is so much choice it’s difficult to advise you until you know what the majority of your most common ride conditions would be.

I’m 50. I used to ride downhill with no suspension in my teens, everything is relative if that makes sense, I suspect a good used hardtail XC bike would be adequate.

OP
OP
gshaw

gshaw

There are loads of really tidy bikes for sale used, I bought an immaculate 2011 Giant Trance 3 for my son for £350.

If you go for a hard tail you should pick up a good spec quality used bike. There is so much choice it’s difficult to advise you until you know what the majority of your most common ride conditions would be.

I’m 50. I used to ride downhill with no suspension in my teens, everything is relative if that makes sense, I suspect a good used hardtail XC bike would be adequate.

I guess the main thing is how to know a lemon from a bargain, at the £30 I paid for the Apollo it's not even a gamble provided it moves but once you're in £200+ territory don't want to end up with something that needs another chunk spending on it. Gutted the recycle shop closed down as that sounded the best of both worlds.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you don't know much about checking second hand bikes the thing is to look for something that hasn't had much use, as in the second of the two bikes I linked. People often buy bikes on whim and use them for a while then give up, these are the ones to go for.

Alwaysbroken

I guess the main thing is how to know a lemon from a bargain, at the £30 I paid for the Apollo it's not even a gamble provided it moves but once you're in £200+ territory don't want to end up with something that needs another chunk spending on it. Gutted the recycle shop closed down as that sounded the best of both worlds.

A “modern” mountain bike of a reasonable standard is a world apart from your Apollo, but even getting a set of air shocks serviced would cost you the sort of money that your considering as your bike budget. I do my own but a seal kit and oil is still about £50 notes.
My point is that it’s hard to make a bike recommendation for XC riding that is going to meet your expectations on routed rutted woodland without raising your budget.
There is no point having suspension, even if it’s just front forks, if it cannot be adjusted for your weight, preload and rebound, maybe look at old schoool 4cross bikes with a set of bombers on the front, not a huge amount to go wrong & you can change spring weights?

But even a bleed & brake set up at you LBS is going to cost you a few quid.

tom73

Guru
1st welcome you've had plenty of great advice already and this the best place to ask for sure. The main thing is you've found out you enjoy life on two wheels.

Once you have list of what you want the bike to do and you have budget thats the hard part. The best thing is to try a few and see what feel's right toy will soon know if it's for you.

If you've got a local bike project then i'd give them a go they often are helpful and can't do enough to help. If they don't have anything you like they may help you find something you do. Plus they are well use to newbies so you wont feel like a fish out of water. If you do come away with something at least you know it's been fixed up and if you go have a problem you've some place to go back to.

OP
OP
gshaw

gshaw

A “modern” mountain bike of a reasonable standard is a world apart from your Apollo, but even getting a set of air shocks serviced would cost you the sort of money that your considering as your bike budget. I do my own but a seal kit and oil is still about £50 notes.
My point is that it’s hard to make a bike recommendation for XC riding that is going to meet your expectations on routed rutted woodland without raising your budget.

My expectations are pretty low as I've been doing the rutted woodland runs on the Apollo for quite a few weeks now and generally found it OK apart from the weight going uphill. Although perhaps maybe that's actually a good thing for fitness training ^_^

My understanding on it from what I've read around forums is that I should notice a big jump going from the Apollo to something like the B-Twin Decathlon bike linked further above in the thread? Someone mentioned about avoiding twist shifters, that's what I have now and going from basic brakes to discs etc. sounds like it should be a better experience.

If someone was to say I'm not going to see that much gain then I'd stick with what I have and try to fix it up a bit more.

If you've got a local bike project then i'd give them a go they often are helpful and can't do enough to help. If they don't have anything you like they may help you find something you do. Plus they are well use to newbies so you wont feel like a fish out of water. If you do come away with something at least you know it's been fixed up and if you go have a problem you've some place to go back to.

Sadly it shut down yesterday, had I Googled before going to Cycle King rather than after I may have been able to catch them in the last couple of hours before it closed but alas just too late.

Top Bottom