Newbie to riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lotus74

Only just started riding again this week been out every day 2or 3 miles am just takin it steadywas really looking forward to getting out this morning got up at 8am looked out window its raining thats ok al just wait see if it stops but no its still raining hard not much wind . Am so bored . So just asking what you lot might advise ? Should i go out in this weather

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes

jimheaney57

I had planned to go out at first light this morning and do 60 miles as the forecast looked good.

Got up to discover a gale blowing so I changed plans and decided to cycle the 3 miles or so to the gym.

Route to the gym takes me along a path by Belfast Lough. I got soaked! Not from the rain, but from the waves crashing unto the path. It wasn't pleasant!

I have to say I don't usually go cycling when it's windy. I don't mind running on such days, but I don't like the feeling of thinking I'm going to get blown over by the wind.

Bayerd

Über Member
I enjoy riding in the rain, it's when it's also blowing a gale that it isn't pleasant. Invest in some waterproofs and I don't think you'll be too bothered by the wet. As with most things, the thought is worse than the reality.

OP
OP
Lotus74

Lotus74

I keep looking out the window dont feel its going to stop raining any time soon im thinking of maybe doin just some laps near were i live down the road down a hill then off the bike and climes the 30 or so steps and start again . My lazy girlfriend is still in bed lol

MajorMantra

I went out for my club run in the gale/rain/hail this morning and although it was unpleasant I'm glad I did. Only one other guy turned up so we did a very short ride but I feel much better than I would have if I'd sat inside looking at the weather.

Matthew

Norm

A good waterproof top is worth its (light) weight in gold but, for the legs, I use polycotton walking trousers which are warm when wet, don't chafe and dry quickly.

I like riding in the rain but not so much on my road bike, mainly because wet roads increase the number of punctures and the current tyres are not very resistant to the advances of the fairy.

Lambchop

Get out there. I do, in all weathers, it's character building. The only unpleasant exprience Ive had of late was a 25mph cross wind that literally was threatening to blow me off!

I don't mind cold, I've actually got in with a slush puppy in the water bottle after cycling in Norway. Don't mind rain - actually quite enjoy it - the swish of rubber on a wet road. Really don't like wind. I'll cycle if I have to but wouldn't be going out just for a ride as I wouldn't enjoy it.
Two wheels don't go well on ice either.

longers

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with having a day or two off the bike, rest is as important as the miles you put in, but a ride in foul weather can be good fun once you're out.

Top Bottom