Nickyboy's 2020 LEJOG for Down's Syndrome Association

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Look what arrived in the post today having hit , thanks to you guys, the DSA initial fundraising target

IMG_20191116_200047.jpg

A bit tight but that can help with my weight loss motivation

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Unashamed bump to maybe help with the fundraising as we have 15 weeks to go. Regular cycling ticking over nicely as winter has been mild, even in the Peak District. Plan is to ramp it up a bit with about 8 weeks to go. We are also going to do a fully packed back-to-back imperial century weekend to see how the body actually reacts to consecutive long days in the saddle. Much discussion about how many inner tubes to take between us to shave those grams off the LEJOG packing

The virgin giving site link is updated as my three fellow participants have decided to raise money for the Down's Syndrome Association too

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/4middleagedblokesonbikes

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Weather is a bit pants at the moment so we are having to dig deep into the motivation barrel to get out on the bikes and keep our fitness levels up. Hopefully we will get some better conditions for training before the departure date (fingers crossed)?

Fundraising efforts now going into overdrive as the big day gets rapidly closer.... Any donations large or small are appreciated.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Unfortunately due to the obvious circumstances we have had to postpone the May LEJOG. However, it's only a postponement. We will take a view in a couple of months to see whether we can do it in September. If restrictions still preclude this then it'll have to be May 2021

Thanks again to all those who have sponsored us. That money is already with the Downs Syndrome Association (I think). Given all charities are struggling due to limited fundraising opportunities I hope it lets them help those who need help

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
:sad:

We (the four ride participants) have watched the Covid19 situation unfold with dread for two reasons. First, obviously, is the enormity of the tragedy and cost in terms of life and impact on the economy and society.
The second reason, and maybe slightly selfishly, has been the inevitable knock-on effect to our LEJOG plan and we have gone from 'It might still be ok' to 'There might be a slight delay' and finally the realisation that 'This year may be a write-off'.
The LEJOG trip represents, if not the biggest, then certainly a huge target and goal for each of us in 2020. We have planned, trained and prepared for the May departure, only to have this taken from us just as we got down to counting weeks rather than months until we set off.
It's a big disappointment, but in reality just a minor inconvenience when compared to the bigger picture of what is currently happening across the globe.
The main thing is that we all stay safe and healthy. We are determined to complete this ride as soon as it is safe and possible to do so. This is a postponement, not a cancellation so watch this space..... :okay:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A friend of mine has also postponed his LEJOG until next year. All B&B's and tickets cancelled..

I doubt even later this year will be practical to do, as no-one knows how long things will take to return to normal.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's the right decision Skol, sadly, I'm gutted for you guys and I'd been following your occasional updates with special interest given that I was planning for May 2021 (and it's always interesting to follow other people's preparations).

contadino

Veteran
This is a postponement, not a cancellation so watch this space..... :okay:
That's the point, right there. It's only wasted energy if it becomes a cancellation. Everyone had plans for this year that have been knobbled by this lurgy, so I expect that many things will have been postponed although admittedly most probably weren't as noble or grand as a LEJOG...

13 rider

Guru
I did think about this trip earlier in the week ,really you couldn't make another decision . Us Leicester Ccers have a tough plan for early June 2021

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont think you really had any choice at all. Everything is cancelled in the ultra distance field until at least September and probably beyond that as well. We have decided not to leave Denmark at all this year, regardless of what sanctions are lifted. It feels like the safest place for us.

Hopefully, you will get yourself organised for next year. But be aware that there will be a huge rush on Lejog next year.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Update.........

We decided not to go ahead this September. The lockdowns are in a fairly fluid state and it feels like things could change quickly. That, combined with the fact that pubs, cafes etc aren't very comfortable environments at the moment meant we have delayed to May 2021

The good news is that we're getting the accommodation booked up for a May 11 depart Land's End, May 21 arrive John O'Groats

All we need is weather next May like we enjoyed this year

Top Bottom