FNRttC Night ride to Whitstable, April 22nd, 2016 (Starting at Tower Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Here's some pics the movie at the end is just riding in the dark

https://flic.kr/s/aHskvwGLpN

Well, it's not 12 mins

Last edited:

kimble

Veteran
I see someone did it on a Roberts Roughstuff! Believe me, they also deserve a bit of awe. I no longer use mine for these kind of rides because I just can't keep up with folk on it any longer. It's a beautiful bike, but it is built for touring tough roads with a whole heap of kit, which it does in style. Bomb proof wheels with tough heavy rims, big tyres. Beautifully built frame. Mine has got me up practically everything with full camping kit. But I have been known to ride it at 2mph on the steepest bits. So slow, for example, you can't out ride the clouds of midges on Arran when climbing up through Glen Sannox. I love it to bits, it's the most comfortable bike, you can ride it all day without any kind of ache or pain.

I keep doing these rides on a Streetmachine GT, which is a less (or at least more Germanly) beautiful application of the same principle. Though for rides as flat as the Whistable one, it's also my fastest bike. Every now and then I wistfully contemplate owning something actually built for speed, but the thought of recumbent dealers puts me off.

Brighton run on the Brommie though... How slow could it be?

Brains

Legendary Member
@Trickedem

Any chance of getting a copy of the route ?
I'm doing Greenwich to Broadstairs (in daylight) and it would save me a load of finger walking working out the route

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Many thanks - more main road than I would have thought for the London section!
Less traffic in the wee hours.

U

User10571

Once you get to Whitstable, other than a short section by Westgate-on-sea (and a bit through Herne Bay), there's no need to use the road - it is all traffic-free costal path.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Once you get to Whitstable, other than a short section by Westgate-on-sea (and a bit through Herne Bay), there's no need to use the road - it is all traffic-free costal path.
Seconded. The coastal path between Whitstable and Margate is really nice to ride. (Unless it's into a rainy headwind, in which case it isn't)

Top Bottom