FNRttC Night ride to Whitstable, April 22nd, 2016 (Starting at Tower Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

I used the Brompton yesterday.
I do occasionally.
I cannot see me ever using it on a FNRttC ( or anything involving distance and / or hills)
I am in awe of those who do.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
After my puncture was fixed at Faversham, @Gordon P and I, watching @redfalo disappear up the road, commented how it was that people's ability to ride does get revealed, once the get over the clown bike thing.
Clown bike (pictured by a house of fools):
Circus+Acts+Demonstrate+Their+Skills+Ahead+tvdTWXKHNWLl.jpg

Road bike (happens to fold and have small wheels):
6058310509_8278db71fe_b.jpg

kimble

Veteran
I used the Brompton yesterday.
I do occasionally.
I cannot see me ever using it on a FNRttC ( or anything involving distance and / or hills)
I am in awe of those who do.

Having finally sorted the saddle out, I'd quite like to do a Brighton FNRttC on mine at some point. Mostly on the silly bikes principle, but also because the only thing I find it's actually any good at is climbing, and that ride's relatively short and hilly.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Interesting route out through the 'burbs that seemed at times to wiggle a bit, but actually looked quite direct once I saw the gpx track.
A terrific night out that saw clemency from the rain gods, if a little chilly when not moving.
The Marty(r)s delivered the usual feast par excellence - a big thanks to them.
It was a nice touch to slightly vary the customary Greenhithe stop so that we were on the River - 6 years I've been doing this ride, and I'd no idea hitherto it passed so close.
So a big round of applause to @Trickedem for leading this ever popular ride and also to the loyal TECs and waymarkers.
Lordy, that headwind across the Graveney marshes, though…

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@CharlieB , thanks for the fig roll and as always your most excellent company.
How you managed the whole nights ride in shorts and fingerless gloves I will never know.

Having a headwind heading into Whitstable is one of lifes great cycling pleasures, but for the SMRbtH it usually means a tough start to the ride back. So this time I am sure you would agree... it made for a quick and pleasant start to the ride back home.,

saoirse50

Veteran
I see someone did it on a Roberts Roughstuff! Believe me, they also deserve a bit of awe. I no longer use mine for these kind of rides because I just can't keep up with folk on it any longer. It's a beautiful bike, but it is built for touring tough roads with a whole heap of kit, which it does in style. Bomb proof wheels with tough heavy rims, big tyres. Beautifully built frame. Mine has got me up practically everything with full camping kit. But I have been known to ride it at 2mph on the steepest bits. So slow, for example, you can't out ride the clouds of midges on Arran when climbing up through Glen Sannox. I love it to bits, it's the most comfortable bike, you can ride it all day without any kind of ache or pain. But my decision to get a road bike was sealed when riding a Whistable route recce with Simon, User10571 and a some others a few years back. By the time we reached the turn off to Gravesend I was completely knackered, trying and failing to keep up. Then, when we stopped at the Promenade cafe for a snack, I disappeared to the loo and came back to find Simon lifting my bike up. "Crikey" or some thing like it, he remarked. So, to the woman who rode the Roughstuff, "Cheers".

U

User10571

Anyone got a track of Friday's route - I'm curious about the riverside bit at Greenhithe.

Top Bottom