Night time kit - lights query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesK

Über Member
Just trying to get myself sorted with night-time kit - both warm and visible :blush:.

I have already bought these:

Altura night vision overshoes
and I am now considering purchasing these as well -
Altura Night Vision Gloves.

With respect to lights, I currently have these:
Front light and Rear light
I am thinking of "upgrading" to these and these.
New front light and new rear light.

I will be cycling mainly on a 40mph A road, which is lit in places but mainly unlit. I will have reflectors on my bike and a reflective jacket too.

Can anyone advise on whether these would be

- a worthwhile upgrade, eg better than I've currently got.
- sufficient to do road riding. In the cold dark winter I don't think I'll be doing any off road!

Any thought would be appreciated - comments on the gloves too would be good? I'm unsure if I'd be wasting my money - a bit like I already have done with the lights I've already got!

Thanks,

James

OP
OP
J

JamesK

Über Member
Or would this be even better:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_EL520_And_TL610_Light_Set/5360031619/

I don't mind spending the extra if this is going to be worthwhile and the front light seems to be 50% more powerful..?

PrettyboyTim

Those 1/2 watt smart lights are pretty nifty. It's worth having two rear lights as you don't tend to notice when they run out of battery so a spare is useful!

Noodley

THe Smart light is a good rear, as is the big cateye cyclinder one you show. geargurl on Ebay sells cateye lights very cheaply.

I don't think the front lights you list are any good for seeing on an unlit road. You need at least a double halogen light, or one of the more expensive LED lights -like Ayups or Dinotte.

I agree.

The rear lights are fine as you only need them to be seen (there are some who would claim otherwise I am sure :blush:). But, it looks like you need front lights "to see" rather than be seen. I have Dinottes, which are good, and I know Ayups are good as well (User said so :blush:)

I also saw this the other day and thought it looked good:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Hope_Vision_1_LED_Front_Light/5360035056/

but I also know Tesco sometimes have a well regarded "seeing" light.

kyuss

Veteran
I wouldn't buy gloves based on how reflective they are because once the weather gets cold you could be regretting it. Not that I've used those you've linked to, they could be very good for all I know, but don't let their reflectiveness be you main priority, you need them to be warm and waterproof first and foremost.

wafflycat

Dependent upon budget, go for Ayups (money no object) or Cateye EL-530 on the front. I have two of those on the front ant any night riding I do is on unlit country roads (60mph limit) and not only am I seen, but I can see where I'm going.

One other thing you may want to at least consider - get a head torch - great for lighting up signage and also for being seen by on coming traffic - and at junctions you can turn your head so your light shines at traffic on the road you are wanting to join. I found the difference in when I was *noticed* by oncoming drivers was much sooner than when without headtorch - as they dipped their headlights sooner.

THe Smart light is a good rear, as is the big cateye cyclinder one you show. geargurl on Ebay sells cateye lights very cheaply.
I'd agree. The other small benefit of the smart superflash it fits the same backet as you previous smart rear light. I've heard good reviews of the cateye rear light (Ld1100) too.

Ive also got the 510 front light as a secondary to the upgraded 5 led version of your original smart front light. Its not bright enough for me and I dislike that it can only use a constant beam and the beam is too narrow, hence the smart is my primary. The majority of my journeys are on reasonably lit streets so there fine for me but I would agree again.
I don't think the front lights you list are any good for seeing on an unlit road. You need at least a double halogen light, or one of the more expensive LED lights -like Ayups or Dinotte.

Top Bottom