Nine out of ten cyclists look absolutely appalling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't mind paying £30-£50 for a jersey but once it goes over £50 I have to ask myself the question "What does it bring to the table, over and above other brands, beside a logo."

As far as Rapha is concerned, not a lot. I would rather have a wiggle Block jersey.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had a shave this morning! What else does the man want?
He wants you to use Rapha shaving cream. £15 for 150ml
http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/shaving-cream/product/SCM02XXXXXXXX

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Is this the 'let's all knock Rapha' thread?

I like the stuff, looks great, know it's well made and the people who I know that do buy and wear it are very happy with it.
However, Rapha is not for me, (I prefer other premium brands) but then again nor is Aldi and the like.
It's gone that way, certainly.

I think the initial dudgeon was caused by the assertion that only 10% of cyclists looked better than "appalling" though.

Interestingly, the pull quote displayed on Facebook is "We are totally in love with the sport." which makes them seem less dick-ish.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
£112 for 3 boxers shorts, in the description stated ideal for everyday use!! For that price it's all I would cycle in I would want the world to see my Rapha logo
If someone wants to pay two score for their chuddies whose beeswax is it?

I dislike the brand, and what it stands for, ad how it gets its products made but I can't help but like the quality of the products themselves.
You very nearly capture my own conundrum.

I asked Simon Mottram once why Rapha's women's jerseys do not go larger than size XL (approx. size 14 if you happen to have breasts) -- also why the "trade in/size down" offer is only available to men, not women.

He said - right to my face with no hesitation or embarrassment -- "because I don't want my kit seen on fat women".

My problem is... Rapha shorts are hands down the best cycling shorts I've ever tried, money no object in my quest for comfort --and so I am doomed to keep buying them.

You very nearly capture my own conundrum.

I asked Simon Mottram once why Rapha's women's jerseys do not go larger than size XL (approx. size 14 if you happen to have breasts) -- also why the "trade in/size down" offer is only available to men, not women.

He said - right to my face with no hesitation or embarrassment -- "because I don't want my kit seen on fat women".

My problem is... Rapha shorts are hands down the best cycling shorts I've ever tried, money no object in my quest for comfort --and so I am doomed to keep buying them.
Well I'm not. I'm done with them.

Jesus, can't anywhere be safe from the "no fat chicks" bros?

Edit: seems the trade in deal is unisex now. So maybe market pressure and all. Might be due to the fact he only has a 12.5% share, and insulting your customer base doesn't go down well in board rooms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom