Ninja Cyclists / High Viz / lack of lights - your opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has to be done:

Or in them.Pothole anyone?:bicycle:

THIS is a proper pothole!

sinkholes-9%25255B5%25255D.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
THIS is a proper pothole!

View attachment 355333
Someone still didn't see it though.

Sandra6

Veteran
During my last days at halfords a customer started berating some young lads for not having lights on their bikes.It was middle of the day and the weather was good, it was highly unlikely they'd have still been out come night fall, but he was adamant they were breaking the law and risking their lives -and his. As a taxi driver he was most put out that he had to look where he was going in case of cyclists being in the road without lights at all times of the day.
I was quite glad it was my last week so I had a good old argument with him and told him he was wrong.
He wouldn't have it so in the end I told him just to jog on and try not to kill anyone.

classic33

Leg End Member
During my last days at halfords a customer started berating some young lads for not having lights on their bikes.It was middle of the day and the weather was good, it was highly unlikely they'd have still been out come night fall, but he was adamant they were breaking the law and risking their lives -and his. As a taxi driver he was most put out that he had to look where he was going in case of cyclists being in the road without lights at all times of the day.
I was quite glad it was my last week so I had a good old argument with him and told him he was wrong.
He wouldn't have it so in the end I told him just to jog on and try not to kill anyone.
I wouldn't have said you were saying anything wrong. You were helping other customers out, due to a mis-informed driver.

Reactions: mjr

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
the thing is.... you could be lit up like a christmas tree and some idiot would still hit you. Then the argument wouldnt be that you didnt have lights but because you wasnt wearing a helmet.

a helmet, extra lighting or PPE clothing wont stop drivers who are too busy facebooking or checking emails on their phones to look up and pay attention to whats ahead of them.

I got my lights, I got my dark jersey/gilet & deuter rucksack with reflective patches, Hell even my shoes and helmet have reflective patches and I ride how I normally ride when riding home. Not texting or looking at my phone, Not with headphones on and listening to music. Not sprinting past red lights. Just cruising the 8 miles to my home.

Weirdly enough the best visibility aid I have found is the Air Zound.

It is amazing how a few decibels of Air Horn make you more visible to drivers

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Weirdly enough the best visibility aid I have found is the Air Zound.

It is amazing how a few decibels of Air Horn make you more visible to drivers

I had one of these... Drivers didnt take much notice, Nor did many pedestrians. With Pedestrians, I have found that they respond to more of a single 'ding' from a standard bicycle bell.

I replaced my air zound with a Knog Oi Classic Bell and people seem to look up and around a lot more providing they hear it. It still doesnt help when it comes to people with headphones though and there are a lot of them in the city where i commute.

The Knog Oi might not be the loudest of bells but its loud enough to be heard by most people within moderate traffic

Last edited:

Ben17

I had one of these... Drivers didnt take much notice, Nor did many pedestrians. With Pedestrians, I have found that they respond to more of a single 'ding' from a standard bicycle bell.

I replaced my air zound with a Knog Oi Classic Bell and people seem to look up and around a lot more providing they hear it. It still doesnt help when it comes to people with headphones though and there are a lot of them in the city where i commute.

The Knog Oi might not be the loudest of bells but its loud enough to be heard by most people within moderate traffic

Irrelevant to ninja cyclists, but this reminded me - on my canal ride the other day, I found myself behind a pedestrian travelling in my direction. No acknowledgment from repeated dings of my bell, nor increasingly loud shouts of "hello!", "excuse me!" "can I pass please" etc., over a couple of minutes. Luckily the path widened enough for me to eventually pass but I was wondering for a bit just how long this would go on for. Goodness knows how loud he had his music, but he was completely oblivious to what was going on around him.

Top Bottom