Ninja Cyclists / High Viz / lack of lights - your opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
... dual carriageway ... You won't catch me on them, it's too dangerous.
There are often times when I reckon the dual carriageways round here are the safest places to cycle. The ones I use have decent wide lanes, some double yellows, are well lit after dark and relatively quiet, and offer good visibility - and I rate them as significantly safer than some of the narrow single carriageways with poorer lighting and parked cars adding to the risk.

Oh, and to comment on unlit cyclists, when I restarted last year I was a bit shocked by the number of young guys I saw on bikes after dark, dressed in the Scouse uniform of black tracksuit, and with no lights. But I soon realised that the local papers aren't full of stories of accidents, so the evidence suggests they're being seen and not being hit (not that I'd recommend it, of course).

Alan

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
There are often times when I reckon the dual carriageways round here are the safest places to cycle. The ones I use have decent wide lanes, some double yellows, are well lit after dark and relatively quiet, and offer good visibility - and I rate them as significantly safer than some of the narrow single carriageways with poorer lighting and parked cars adding to the risk.

Oh, and to comment on unlit cyclists, when I restarted last year I was a bit shocked by the number of young guys I saw on bikes after dark, dressed in the Scouse uniform of black tracksuit, and with no lights. But I soon realised that the local papers aren't full of stories of accidents, so the evidence suggests they're being seen and not being hit (not that I'd recommend it, of course).

Alan
Agreed. Dual carriageways provide ample room (i.e. a whole lane) for drivers to safely overtake.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A couple of dual carriageways near me are great to cycle on when it's a bit quieter during the day or later in the evening.

The motor traffic tends to pass in lane two, leaving me with all of a nicely surfaced lane one to play on.

No,holes aren't safe.:wacko:

Holes should wear HiViz........ and have lights

s-l225.jpg

Top Bottom