Ninja Cyclists / High Viz / lack of lights - your opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Irrelevant to ninja cyclists, but this reminded me - on my canal ride the other day, I found myself behind a pedestrian travelling in my direction. No acknowledgment from repeated dings of my bell, nor increasingly loud shouts of "hello!", "excuse me!" "can I pass please" etc., over a couple of minutes. Luckily the path widened enough for me to eventually pass but I was wondering for a bit just how long this would go on for. Goodness knows how loud he had his music, but he was completely oblivious to what was going on around him.
Or maybe he was deaf?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Weirdly enough the best visibility aid I have found is the Air Zound.

It is amazing how a few decibels of Air Horn make you more visible to drivers
Yes, I use it too (the Delta one, not the crappy Samui one with the plastic bottle), and I agree: it's effective. I still have a bell for the pedestrians, though.

Ben17

Or maybe he was deaf?

Perhaps. He definitely had headphones but he could be hard of hearing. Whatever the case though, a little glance around occasionally for situational awareness wouldn't hurt, particularly on a canal path where runners and bikers aren't exactly a rare occurrence.

vickster

Legendary Member
Peds have priority, it's down to us cyclists to do the awarensss stuff :smile: not sure a ped needs to on a quiet path

Why didn't you dismount and walk past if he held you up for that long?

Ben17

I don't debate the priority of pedestrians in this situation, but I do disagree with you about their awareness. Pedestrians, wherever they're walking, should always be aware of other pedestrians, cyclists, cars, whatever, because they cannot guarantee the others will behave in a responsible manner. It's the same way that as a cyclist, I'll still make myself aware of other traffic crossing my path, even if I do have right of way.

As it happened, I hung back and waited for a safe place to pass slowly when the path widened sufficiently. I was in no hurry, but was just surprised at how oblivious someone can be for such a time.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I don't debate the priority of pedestrians in this situation, but I do disagree with you about their awareness. Pedestrians, wherever they're walking, should always be aware of other pedestrians, cyclists, cars, whatever, because they cannot guarantee the others will behave in a responsible manner. It's the same way that as a cyclist, I'll still make myself aware of other traffic crossing my path, even if I do have right of way

This.... I remember seeing a pedestrian across the road from where i work shouting at a bus driver and refusing to move away from the front of the bus so he could carry on with his route because he almost ran her over when she blindly stepped out into a busy road and didnt hear him honk at her..

as for towpaths, Fair enough if you have headphones on, I'll just slow down and get close enough for you to notice me trying to get past, but Ive been down towpaths where there were two women walking two abreast having a chat and refused to yield and let me pass by even when i rang my bell politely as i approached. Her friend turned around and saw me but turned back and carried on with their conversation so i pushed my way past them though, I didnt hit any of them. But the exchange that followed was a rather heated one to say the least.

Pedestrians have priority but its a shared path so consideration from both parties is required otherwise one or the other might find themselves being thrown or pushed into the river one day.

Some people honestly think they can do no wrong.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
the thing is.... you could be lit up like a christmas tree and some idiot would still hit you. Then the argument wouldnt be that you didnt have lights but because you wasnt wearing a helmet.

a helmet, extra lighting or PPE clothing wont stop drivers who are too busy facebooking or checking emails on their phones to look up and pay attention to whats ahead of them.
Indeed. And when you've done all the irrelevant things in the evidence-free bits of the highway code, the incompetent driver will simply claim that you swerved in front of them or some other sin. I suspect it's only going to stop once vehicle cameras are widespread.

Indeed. And when you've done all the irrelevant things in the evidence-free bits of the highway code, the incompetent driver will simply claim that you swerved in front of them or some other sin. I suspect it's only going to stop once vehicle cameras are widespread.

Yep...
Happened to me when I was forced off the road at a pedestrian island

Complained and was told I was lucky to be alive what with the fact I had no lights, was all over the road and had pulled out in front of their van

Then forwarded CD with perfectly straight line of travel, lit by the non existent lights

Then the Company's van cutting in at the last minute at the Islnd, name also illuminated by the non existent lights

Then asked why they were being blatantly lied to by the driver.... he was sacked

Top Bottom