Ninja Cyclists / High Viz / lack of lights - your opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Why doesn't someone develop stylish black hi vis and make everyone happy?
It already exists
61NiDDg9sEL._UX385_.jpg

Why doesn't someone develop stylish black hi vis and make everyone happy?

I have a Foska "Bones"

A mild mannered cycling top during the day:

bones-reflective-waterproof-jacket-front.png

But at night very reflective

toastie_lite_jacket_bones_back_small_reflective_street.jpg

Also fun

I love churches and whenever touring they are a point of interest.

One fine afternoon I stopped to explore and there was a family walking through the Churchyard

Small child asks mum:

"Is that man dead, because you can see all his bones?"

I don't see the point of using lights in broad daylight.

A new fashion mainly form the States for bicycles, but not new for cars.

Daylight Running Lights (DRLs) started out on Volvos and evolvoed into the present systems that are seen today.

The "evidence" suggest that there was a decrease in accidents due to the use of DRLs

Whether you think it is a cynical way of selling additional lighting, there is a difference between daylight and nighttime lights

This is the Trek/ Bontrager take on the subject

To my mind there are massive technical challenges for lights bright enough for daytime use, and battery longevity that will be suitable for use other than commuting

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@jefmcg On another note I've been asked to wear hi viz while running (!) as part of my run clubs "Health and Safety" rules. I foresee a completely black kit next Tuesday evening...
I got told I couldn't be a volunteer unless I wore a space lemon tabard with reflectives on it. Their loss.

Tim Hall

I've always thought cycling on a dual carriageway is illegal, but I guess it isn't. You won't catch me on them, it's too dangerous.

I find this kind of statement amazing. If only there were a document, published by the government, that outlined, or codified, what you can and can't do on the road, or highway. We could have a competition to name it. And then you could go and read it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
On another note I've been asked to wear hi viz while running (!) as part of my run clubs "Health and Safety" rules. I foresee a completely black kit next Tuesday evening...
I got told I couldn't be a volunteer unless I wore a space lemon tabard with reflectives on it. Their loss.
The overabundance of fluorescent running gear can make it very difficult to find a marshall when you turn up to an event. Which is ironic.

I find this kind of statement amazing. If only there were a document, published by the government, that outlined, or codified, what you can and can't do on the road, or highway. We could have a competition to name it. And then you could go and read it.
Or, to make it simpler, rely on observation and induction**.

There is a sign at the entrance to motorways saying you can't cycle there. There is no similar sign at the "entrance" to DC. Hence, you can cycle on them. Unless of course, there is a sign.

** or deduction, I confuse the two.

Top Bottom