Nippy Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My ex has chucked my Canada stuff away, so I'm buying another.

http://www.ewetsuits...uketc.html#a474

http://www.ewetsuits...eece-kayak.html

Second item down. Roasty toasty.

At £25, I'm having two.

( You'll never buy a cycling fleece again ).

Where on earth do you live? Lapland??

zigzag

Veteran
my commute is just under 5 miles, so no special clothing needed. trousers and shirt from mid spring until mid autumn, started wearing windproof gloves on colder mornings now. when it gets real cold i'll wear wind-/waterproof jacket, neck buff, winter gloves and beanie hat. i'd rather be cold first 5 minutes than sweaty when i get to work.

Peter10

I bought all my cold weather & winter gear. No need for it yet. I'm pretty tolerant of the cold, all the years of standing out on a rugby pitch in a t-shirt and rugby short-shorts :biggrin:.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ohhh, that was the limit of my leightweight full finger gloves this morning - something a little warmer tomorrow.

Overshoes, windproof top and skull cap (to keep ears warm), but the fingers felt it.

Roads reasonably dry, although the odd icy patch to watch out for.

MTB saddle still on the fixed whilst a replacement is sent (for the fixed) so the MTB is out of action. Time to get fitting the spikes.

7am - 2c - no wind - 18mph average - 10+ miles

Shorts, legs warmed up after a minute
Ears were stinging a bit for the first 10 minutes
Body/overall warm in thin base layer top and aldi winter jersey
No overshoes - toes okay until the last mile and then they started to feel like bricks - started flexing to keep the blood going but my shoes don't leave that much room.
Fingerless gloves + basic cotton underneath - thumbs started to feel it after a while so tucked them behind my fingers (using aero bars) and flexed them about a bit

So yea, a bit cold this morning - overshoes would have been nice but left the ones for my road shoes at work - might look at some of them toe cap things instead as overshoes are mostly overkill for me. Anyone got any experience of them?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The biggest side effect I have had with the drop in temp, is bloody numpty drivers.

Nearly got taken out twice this morning the first one was the closest I have come to being side swiped by a car only just stopped and swerved in time, I think I woke the whole street up with my ranting at him. Both were because they were too lazy to clear their side windows before leaving. Ruined the journey in as every side road seem ed to have car approaching the giveway at speed without clear windows, it meant I was always on the brakes. Guess I was unnerved by my near miss.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cold out - but it was the angle of the sun that was the worst ... and thinking if I can't see in front of me ... neither can the car behind me!

Aye it was cold in Torrance/Glasgow today. When I went to scrape the car for Mrs Magnatom it resgistered 0C. :cold:

I had my buff on for this first time this season and there was some ice on the road in places.

On the rural hilly part of my commute I did manage to stop and catch the sunrise over Glasgow. Beautiful! :becool:

2 degrees C - high vis jacket on, Aldi winter top, Aldi water resistant bib, wooly socks and Aldi full fingered gloves. Put my hat on after about half a mile as my ears had gone numb! Toasty for the most part except my finger ends. Will try the silk liners if we have another day like this - otherwise new gloves may be required!!

Top Bottom