Nissan Leaf - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
How big is your bladder, or do you relieve yourself in a bottle as you trundle down the M-Way? Most of us would follow the advice to take a break every couple of hours, if not to replenish ourselves and stretch our legs, but to check the vehicle.
With an EV, you'd use that opportunity to recharge the battery. It just needs a change of mindset.
BTW, my background is road haulage where a 800Km (500 mile) day was pretty common. I also used to regularly drive from Bristol or London home near Dundee after a day's work. I'm fairly sure that if I was still doing that sort of work, I could change my travel to accommodate using an EV, especially now as usable ranges are increasing.

Ford are getting there https://www.ford.co.uk/future-vehicles/new-e-transit
At no point did I claim all in one go, it was comparing total stopping time to refuel excluding comfort breaks, as for the use of a bottle, why? In a caravan you have all your own facilities with you, no need to foul the lay-bys , and I also put that for personal use I could just as easily run an EV, for work, in my job,not a cat in hells chance.

DRM

Guru
Never done that
In 40+ years of driving I have never done that unless I felt there was something wrong with the vehicle, including many HGV trips which would often involve setting off & not pulling over until the Tacho insisted I did, which I think is 4.5 hours, but 10 years since I drove one so not 100% confident I remember exactly. I've also driven from South Yorks to Cornwall non stop on several occasions in diesel cars whose range is 600+ miles.
Exactly, my understanding is you can basically do 4.5 hours driving, then have a 3/4 hour break, then go do another 4.5 hours, I think you can go up to 10 hours per day occasionally, but I’m not that up on it

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
As mentioned a change in mindset , is needed and I hold my hands up to that. Still going to wait till I'm forced for now. If the tin tent goes, which In all honesty these days unlikely, then I may consider but until then I'll try and keep my very ungreen Disco on the road.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Which I believe is more ecological for the earth than making a new vehicle, but I have no proof, it would be an interesting research for somebody
I should confess to running a VW Caravelle which is now 10 years old and has over 260k miles on it. EVs are not evil, but for many would be a a far better choice than simply purchasing another gas-guzzler. Too many base their vehicle choice on what they imagine they might do, maybe once a year rather than the real journeys that they do for 50 weeks of the year.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I actually went back and checked the milage records since we bought the car, using the MOT database. When I stopped driving to work we went straight down to under 5000 miles pa. The furthest I've driven since then was up to near Penrith and back (long story), which would have been tricky on electricity. I'd have hired a car for that, I think, given that I was hiring one later that day anyway (again, long story).
Apart from that, most places we go are within the parameters of a 180 mile range.

gzoom

Über Member
As mentioned a change in mindset , is needed and I hold my hands up to that. Still going to wait till I'm forced for now. If the tin tent goes, which In all honesty these days unlikely, then I may consider but until then I'll try and keep my very ungreen Disco on the road.

A change of mindset is needed, but not just for EVs but in every part of life. How achievable that is arguable.

The good thing is no one is going to be forced into EVs, plenty of combustion cars will be around, but anyone thinking of spending ££££ on a brand new combustion would be missing out if they didn't consider an EV.

Even so for every nrw EV sold today 20 new combustion car are sold. So the vast majority of UK car buyers are simply now ready yet to make the mental jump to EVs.

Kajjal

Guru
Another way to look at it is if you have two cars one being EV can work with the other handling longer distances and heavier loads when driving as needed. That gets round the lack of range and charging times but not the price of purchase currently.

gzoom

Über Member
Long trips in an EV though is perfectly possible today. We have this trip planned for halfterm coming up. This is over 3-4 days, 6 people in the car, and a couple of bikes on the back, cannot wait :smile:.

51187006617_93a5bdac87_c_d.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
A change of mindset is needed, but not just for EVs but in every part of life. How achievable that is arguable.

The good thing is no one is going to be forced into EVs, plenty of combustion cars will be around, but anyone thinking of spending ££££ on a brand new combustion would be missing out if they didn't consider an EV.

Even so for every nrw EV sold today 20 new combustion car are sold. So the vast majority of UK car buyers are simply now ready yet to make the mental jump to EVs.
Infrastructure is key and it’s something I’m sure will be addressed.

gzoom

Über Member
What vehicle is that in that takes 6 people ?

6 seater Model X, best bit is even with 3rd row of seats up the boot can still take x2 full sized suite cases, plus the space in the frunk.

The alternative is to take x2 combustion cars for the trip......Not only is using the EV for the trip better for the environment its also more practical, and cheaper - I have 'free for life' charging on the car at Tesla chargers, so fuel costs for the trip will be well under £10 as I will be paying the B&B for their electricity I use to charge the car.

51122915533_8e8b5b3e14_k_d.jpg

38334131402_a53bd25da6_c_d.jpg

46456228491_7dcbbc720d_c_d.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

Not only is using the EV for the trip better for the environment its also more practical, and cheaper
I'm still not convince it's better for the environment, yes the emission from the actual vehicle at the time of the actual journey will be, but after you've taken in the material extraction, material milage, the electricity production, the disposal of the toxic materials at end of life?

Also with regards to being cheaper, c'mon this is an £82K car (basic) I can make that trip several hundreds of times & still work out cheaper.

It's your choice & works for you, but still not convinced EV in it's present form is the future, you don't ever get something for nothing.

DRM

Guru
6 seater Model X, best bit is even with 3rd row of seats up the boot can still take x2 full sized suite cases, plus the space in the frunk.

The alternative is to take x2 combustion cars for the trip......Not only is using the EV for the trip better for the environment its also more practical, and cheaper - I have 'free for life' charging on the car at Tesla chargers, so fuel costs for the trip will be well under £10 as I will be paying the B&B for their electricity I use to charge the car.

View attachment 589935

View attachment 589936
View attachment 589937
That's all well and good, there are 2x spec Model X priced at either £90,980 or £110,980, those prices are totally OTT unless your incredibly wealthy, or someone else pays for it, by the same token you can get a 7 seat Ford Tourneo Connect, with an 8 speed auto and most expensive metallic paint option for £27,857, that's why sales are 20:1 in the favour of ice vehicles, and theres no need to take 2 cars to get everyone in plus luggage.

Things will have changed radically by the time the ban is in place.

Keep an eye out for the green marker on number plates and see how many brand new EVs are out there now.

Top Bottom