Nissan Leaf - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Things will have changed radically by the time the ban is in place.
You do realise it's only 9 years don't you? I watched Back to the Future in 1985 I'm still waiting for those ideas to come through
Keep an eye out for the green marker on number plates and see how many brand new EVs are out there now.
Are they put on real EV's or the cheats like the BMW I8,

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
6 seater Model X, best bit is even with 3rd row of seats up the boot can still take x2 full sized suite cases, plus the space in the frunk.

The alternative is to take x2 combustion cars for the trip......Not only is using the EV for the trip better for the environment its also more practical, and cheaper - I have 'free for life' charging on the car at Tesla chargers, so fuel costs for the trip will be well under £10 as I will be paying the B&B for their electricity I use to charge the car.

View attachment 589935

View attachment 589936
View attachment 589937
Ok didn’t realise they were 6 seaters. Need more main stream options but fear pricing is just too far for some.
BIL bought a model 3 , get the feeling that he ain’t happy with the build quality . Been back twice for paint issues and something else .

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm still not convince it's better for the environment, yes the emission from the actual vehicle at the time of the actual journey will be, but after you've taken in the material extraction, material milage, the electricity production, the disposal of the toxic materials at end of life?

Also with regards to being cheaper, c'mon this is an £82K car (basic) I can make that trip several hundreds of times & still work out cheaper.

It's your choice & works for you, but still not convinced EV in it's present form is the future, you don't ever get something for nothing.
Material extraction for petrol and diesel isn't exactly environmentally neutral either. Nor is the material mileage for the engine and all the consumable parts it gets through in its life.

D

Deleted member 26715

Material extraction for petrol and diesel isn't exactly environmentally neutral either. Nor is the material mileage for the engine and all the consumable parts it gets through in its life.
No argument from me on that one, why I'd like to see a total environmental study but cars are all used in such a varied way I can't see it being conclusive either way.

midlife

Guru
Changing car in July, by chance we have a charging port installed on our drive from the last owner. Just for commuting into work and bi monthly 120 mile round trips to Newcastle with work

Have a soft spot for a Mini so was thinking about £4k for an older used one, anything equivalent for an EV cost wise?

D

Deleted member 26715

Renault Zoe is probably your only option, but you don't own the battery it's leased in most instances

Tenkaykev

Guru
Something I’ve noticed when out for my evening walk is the growing number of properties with charging points. At first it was the recent new builds where the pattern seems to be House / small piece of garden / parking space with charger. More recently they are popping up on existing properties. A recent newspaper article ( Guardian?) mentioned people renting out parking space on their driveways complete with charging facilities. Interesting times…

lane

Veteran
I could easily manage with an EV. If someone buys me one I will be very pleased. Otherwise it is totally not economically viable for me so will stick with fossil fuel when buying my next second hand car.

midlife

Guru
Renault Zoe is probably your only option, but you don't own the battery it's leased in most instances

Cheapest Zoe on Auto trader is £14k, new is around the £30k mark. Lease is £7k deposit and £200 a month.

Way over what I want (and can) pay so back to the cheap Mini plan.....

You do realise it's only 9 years don't you? I watched Back to the Future in 1985 I'm still waiting for those ideas to come through
Are they put on real EV's or the cheats like the BMW I8,

Green plates are just for pure EV's - zero emission cars.
9 years back was 2012 - ah things were good back then. Home Olympics - no pandemic. 2030 - who knows what will happen ?

Changing car in July, by chance we have a charging port installed on our drive from the last owner. Just for commuting into work and bi monthly 120 mile round trips to Newcastle with work

Have a soft spot for a Mini so was thinking about £4k for an older used one, anything equivalent for an EV cost wise?

4k sadly won't be enough to get you an EV as far as I know. A first series Leaf would be your best bet - you'd need to stop for charge on your 120 mile round trip.

lane

Veteran
Got a few people with a Tesla in the village - one house has two parked outside. Good thing as people with that much money would probably have a SUV. But for folks with normal amounts of money EV not a sensible option.

gzoom

Über Member
Also with regards to being cheaper, c'mon this is an £82K car (basic) I can make that trip several hundreds of times & still work out cheaper.

The X is expensive but no more so than the endless number of RangRovers I pass eveyday on the commute to work.

Running costs of the X is much lower than any RangeRover, and its undoubtedly better for the environment. Yet more people still buy RangeRovers than EVs.

Top Bottom