Nissan Leaf - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As range creeps over 200 miles that ceases to be a genuine problem for more and more drivers.

Recharging en route may require a different mindset, as will the amount of 'fuel' you carry for a journey.

I pulled into a service station a while ago where the electric charge points were next to the cafe/toilet block entrance, but the fuel station was a short distance away along the service road.

Had I been in an EV, it would have been more convenient to plug it in for 30-45mins while I supped my coffee and pratted around on here than it would have been refuelling at the service station.

No stinky smell of diesel, either, which almost always gets on my hands or the soles of my shoes whatever precautions I take.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That! I don't like driving for more than three hours without a break anyway, and 200 miles will get me to most places I ever go.

D

Deleted member 26715

Fair enough. Personally I can't wait to go greener and cleaner.
I think it has to be proven that EV vehicle is greener over it's whole lifespan than an ICE vehicle
Nope - it's not pie in the sky, it's cybertruck tri-motor. 500+ miles can pull 7 tonnes. Large pickup style area for your waste oil etc.
Which the secret cost of is? £100K+? How many contracting firms will be able to afford one, let alone a fleet, that is aimed at the small penis Americans to try to get them out of their 4x4's not a practical option to a Transit, Movano etc.
As range creeps over 200 miles that ceases to be a genuine problem for more and more drivers.

Recharging en route may require a different mindset, as will the amount of 'fuel' you carry for a journey.

I pulled into a service station a while ago where the electric charge points were next to the cafe/toilet block entrance, but the fuel station was a short distance away along the service road.

Had I been in an EV, it would have been more convenient to plug it in for 30-45mins while I supped my coffee and pratted around on here than it would have been refuelling at the service station.

No stinky smell of diesel, either, which almost always gets on my hands or the soles of my shoes whatever precautions I take.
Although I agree about the locations, there are differences, potentially the EV drivers are being forced to stop, they have no choice but to wait an hour to charge, similarly the ICE driver, could stop have their brew then get their fuel on the way out.

I would love an EV as most of our driving would be covered by one with occasional OMG moments, I had a 200 mile round trip to rescue my sons partner who is a diabetic the other night, their car broke down & she was short on insulin okay some bad planning on their behalf, but they didn't expect to breakdown. Were also off to Norfolk on Saturday 150 miles each way, presumably it can be done, but any squeaky bum moments about range would not be good for my anxiety.

But for me the biggest drawback is cost, I feel that the current costs of vehicles both ICE & EV are unrealistic, I'm not prepared even if I could afford it to spend a whole years wages on a vehicle,

I would love an EV as most of our driving would be covered by one with occasional OMG moments, I had a 200 mile round trip to rescue my sons partner who is a diabetic the other night, their car broke down & she was short on insulin okay some bad planning on their behalf, but they didn't expect to breakdown. Were also off to Norfolk on Saturday 150 miles each way, presumably it can be done, but any squeaky bum moments about range would not be good for my anxiety.

But for me the biggest drawback is cost, I feel that the current costs of vehicles both ICE & EV are unrealistic, I'm not prepared even if I could afford it to spend a whole years wages on a vehicle,

We picked our leaf up on the Thursday and went off on holiday to the lakes 150 miles away the next day. No drama at all. There are chargers at every Mway station and each town has facilities too. We didn't have a charger at home so just slow charged off the mains overnight.

EVs are more reliable than ICE cars so your 200 mile journey might not have been needed if their car was an EV ?

Cars are expensive but by the time the switch happens there will be plenty of second hand EVs to choose from. I'd not be worrying yet.

D

Deleted member 26715

Cars are expensive but by the time the switch happens there will be plenty of second hand EVs to choose from. I'd not be worrying yet.
Of which the batteries will already be nowhere near their peak or feasibly replaced, don't get me wrong I would welcome the world to go EV, I just don't think it's the answer.

ps, of the things I do worry about, this is not one of them

icowden

Veteran
Which the secret cost of is? £100K+? How many contracting firms will be able to afford one, let alone a fleet, that is aimed at the small penis Americans to try to get them out of their 4x4's not a practical option to a Transit, Movano etc.

I agree with you re cost. Cybertruck is cheaper than you think. In the US it will be *from* $39,900 (I suspect that the trimotor is probably going to be closer to that $100k mark though once you add on all the extras). It looks like it may not come directly to Europe / UK as it's absolutely huge (6m long, 2m wide) and therefore very awkward to drive outside of North America. However a smaller version is mooted.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing if I can afford a Tesla Y when it comes out in the UK!

gzoom

Über Member
That! I don't like driving for more than three hours without a break anyway, and 200 miles will get me to most places I ever go.

When we bought our EV, I had the choice to pay more for a bigger battery version, but decided not to as we didn't need the range.

50K+ miles and I still wouldn't pay £££ for more range than 200 miles or so. Last weekend we went to see family in Wales. Driving at the speed limit, even with no traffic it took 2h30min to cover 160 miles with range to spare. With a 5 year old in the car I was actually ready to stop after 2hrs or so!!

51179802764_f6e5492aed_c_d.jpg

For the trip back, we actually did stop to break up the journey. We stopped at Rugby services where 24 350KW chargers had been installed. Even though our car can 'only' charge at 110KW, it went from 17% charge to near 50% by the time I had walked into the service, had a wee, got an coffee

51182266207_373919b698_c_d.jpg

51183735009_42a10404dc_c_d.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
Of which the batteries will already be nowhere near their peak or feasibly replaced, don't get me wrong I would welcome the world to go EV, I just don't think it's the answer.

The Model S Tesla has been onsale since 2013, in the US Tesla now offer owners of older cars a 'new' 90kWh battery for $20K. $20K is alot of money but its ALOT cheaper than buying a brand new EV with a 90kWh pack - You need about £50K+ for that.

We plan to keep our car till my daughter is old enough to drive, so 10 years+ to go, its currently 4 years old and the battery is showing 5% degradation. I plan on replacing the battery in another 4-5 years or so, when I suspect the price of a new pack will be lower than $20k.

gzoom

Über Member
But for me the biggest drawback is cost, I feel that the current costs of vehicles both ICE & EV are unrealistic,

You are not wrong, but this is not going to change any time soon.

Our Model X back in 2016 when we ordered it for £71k. The 'cheapest' same version today is actually over £100K!!!

Given Tesla claims the cost of batteries have fallen significant since 2016, I personally don't understand why EVs still cost so much, and in the case of Tesla MORE than in the past :angry:.

If brands like Tesla are serious about mass EV adoption getting EV prices down to an affordable level is key, but it seems like prices are actually going the other way :sad:.

51104403469_d69dfaf183_c_d.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

If brands like Tesla are serious about mass EV adoption
That is a very good question, I very much doubt it, why build 10 cars & make £5k on each when you can build 1 car & make £50K Elon Musk is so far up his own ego, he's interested in money, not ecology.

DRM

Guru
Nope - it's not pie in the sky, it's cybertruck tri-motor. 500+ miles can pull 7 tonnes. Large pickup style area for your waste oil etc.
So if someone has passed their test after 1997, they can’t drive it as it would be classed as a 7.5 tonne truck in the UK, before that you’re ok on grandfather right’s, using it for business will involve a tachograph, drivers hours and breaks, so yes it’s pie in the sky, also it’s as fugly as sin, so no one has come up with a Transit Custom size vehicle with good range, if they did , then no problem

DRM

Guru
You don't like the limitations of EVs. Yes, we get that :biggrin:
Seriously, sounds like my usage case is different to yours. I think we'll be fine.
Limitations for businesses, for personal transport, I think it would work for us, everyones needs for a vehicle are different, I’ve just pointed out that it’s not all perfect with an EV

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
They only got 125 miles between charges, with no wriggle room,my old 200Tdi Disco could realistically tow a similarly sized caravan from West Yorkshire, to Portsmouth, catch the ferry, and fill up again in France, 2x ex MOD Jerry cans of diesel would get us from Cherbourg to the Southern Vendee without having to fill up till Monday AM when the fuel stations reopened, so around 500 miles with one 20 minute stop to refuel, with diesel left over, the Tesla would need 4x stops at an hour a go, not good if the traffic backs up and it looks like you might miss your crossing, the future? I think not.
How big is your bladder, or do you relieve yourself in a bottle as you trundle down the M-Way? Most of us would follow the advice to take a break every couple of hours, if not to replenish ourselves and stretch our legs, but to check the vehicle.
With an EV, you'd use that opportunity to recharge the battery. It just needs a change of mindset.
BTW, my background is road haulage where a 800Km (500 mile) day was pretty common. I also used to regularly drive from Bristol or London home near Dundee after a day's work. I'm fairly sure that if I was still doing that sort of work, I could change my travel to accommodate using an EV, especially now as usable ranges are increasing.

So if someone has passed their test after 1997, they can’t drive it as it would be classed as a 7.5 tonne truck in the UK, before that you’re ok on grandfather right’s, using it for business will involve a tachograph, drivers hours and breaks, so yes it’s pie in the sky, also it’s as fugly as sin, so no one has come up with a Transit Custom size vehicle with good range, if they did , then no problem
Ford are getting there https://www.ford.co.uk/future-vehicles/new-e-transit

D

Deleted member 26715

How big is your bladder, or do you relieve yourself in a bottle as you trundle down the M-Way?
Never done that
Most of us would follow the advice to take a break every couple of hours, if not to replenish ourselves and stretch our legs, but to check the vehicle.
In 40+ years of driving I have never done that unless I felt there was something wrong with the vehicle, including many HGV trips which would often involve setting off & not pulling over until the Tacho insisted I did, which I think is 4.5 hours, but 10 years since I drove one so not 100% confident I remember exactly. I've also driven from South Yorks to Cornwall non stop on several occasions in diesel cars whose range is 600+ miles.

Top Bottom