no blasted lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

[QUOTE 2761591, member: 45"]You did boastfully suggest that you braked deliberately, knowing that he was unlikely to be able to stop.[/quote]

You mean to say that in his red mist moment he might have been tail gating me...and that is my fault ?

Police turned up and they set him straight on this point of issue....he was lucky he didn't get a ticket for undue care and attention..I might have put in a claim for the paint he scraped off my tow bar. That could have easily cost him a couple of ££££ if I got the insurance co's involved.

Linford

[QUOTE 2761600, member: 45"]Read it again, until the penny drops. You're mixing up your overs and unders.[/quote]

You clearly got caught bang to rights..:thumbsup:

Linford

[QUOTE 2761611, member: 45"]No, I mean to say that you bragged that you 'saw something in the road' and 'had to brake', clearly suggesting that you'd deliberately braked in order to cause the collision.[/quote]

Here, this is the post from back when it happened. You seem to be siding with road ragers using cars as weapons now...is there any limit to how low you might stoop to gain brownie points ?

Well, actually, I was minding my own business having just dropped one of the horses off and was making my way back home. The pinch point is always a scrum, and there are always chancers who try to come banging up the outside. He actually drew level with me before that point, and then swerved towards me in an attempt to force me to brake and give way. I wasn't going to be bullied so I held my ground and he had to capitulate. After the pinch point, I looked in my mirror and saw him with both hands off the wheel giving me the bird. We carried on until I reached the turning, I indicated, slowed and as I made my turn saw him in the middle of the main road. I gave him a smile and a wink as so to gesture that I held no hard feelings, and he then totally lost it and swerved in. With another car coming the other way, and 3 of us on collision course, I took the call to brake and let him through. How was I to know that he had decided at that point to tuck in behind me instead of hitting the other car head on.

He was very angry, and the first thing his girlfriend did was call the police and he went a proper shade of beetroot as he jumped up and down in the road at my drivers window.
I had the dog in the car with me, so I thought best to stay calm until the police turned up.

Really, people who can't control their temper shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel. He could have lost it with a cyclist FFS

His girflriend was very nice though and I did wonder what she was doing with such an angry man. Hewasa bit shorter than me though, but then I'm only 5'2" so I wonder if he had little man syndrome. Perhaps he thought that the 4x4 gave me a bigger willy and he had a bit of penis envy. I don't think I'll ever know :whistle:

Dan B

Disengaged member
That is not a fair statement! From the information available to us in this thread and the news report linked to there is no suggestion that the cyclist was killed by the driver of the vehicle he collided with. Unless you have additional information to support your claim I suggest you a withdraw your comment. Statements like yours really do not do the cycling community any favours. Sometimes drivers get it wrong and sometimes cyclists get it wrong. To always portray the driver as guilty is wrong.
He was alive, then he was in collision with a car, and now he is dead. I did not mean to ascribe any fault or guilt to any party involved (and without a bit more information than Linf's report, frankly I wouldn't even speculate), but the sad fact remains that he was killed.

It still has the square root of bugger all to do with what CoG was talking about, though.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You did ascribe blame and then went on to repeat your accusation even when you said you weren't. He died, we don't know if he was killed by anyone other than himself.
Yes - we do. One click away from the link tells you that he was struck by a Citroen Xsara. The person driving it killed him.

OP
OP
drewc65

drewc65

I can only apologise for starting this thread. It really was a rant and that day I was just peeded off at riders with no lights. This seemed to have stirred up a bit of a Hornets nest and so can we all not agree to disagree and put this post to rest. As we cannot change the way other people think and behave.

Linford

2762104 said:
But you can. You could talk to them and give them some advice and/or a cheap set of flashers if they bother you. Way more useful than ranting on a cycling forum where, COG aside, we all use lights.

They would give the same response as COG - eff off, I know best.
Natural selection will sort it, and then they will bleat that it was someone else's fault...like the rest of the nonsense which is spouted forth.

Last edited:

shunter

I have checked several of my motorcycles over the years with a Garmin Zumo and the speedos have always read higher than the actual speed on the GPS unit which I assume to be more accurate i.e. 75MPH was 70MPH on the GPS.Am I right in assuming that? This was the same with all the cars we have had but with great surprise I noted that my latest BMW 1200GS motorcycle is 'balls on accurate'. German technology or quality control!

Linford

[QUOTE 2761887, member: 45"]You're up now. Avoiding the thread because you've realised your error? That if you're travelling at an indicated 75mph your actual speed cannot be more than 75mph and because of the way your speedo is designed it's likely that you're travelling nearer 65 and less than 70?

Oh, and I don't do rage. Never have. I can't be bothered.[/quote]

What you are missing here is that you have stated on many occasions that you don't speed, and vilify any who do.
That you have admitted putting 75 on the clock when driving on the motorway means that there is a real possibility that you are actually really exceeding the 70 limit, and are relying on the tolerance which the police apply when deciding if you are going to get a ticket.

That makes you as much a criminal as someone getting caught at 85, 95, 105 etc etc...It is a limit, not a target :hello:

About the 'I don't do rage' thing.....I'll bet your missus could tell a different story ;)

Oh to be a fly on the wall when you are behind the wheel :biggrin:

Linford

[QUOTE 2763427, member: 45"]So have you realised your glaring error in understanding a simple technical matter?[/quote]

We can recap on this one where you actually said

I used to speed. Then I grew up.

In 30 & 30 limits there's no reason not to stay below the limit, and plenty of reasons to obey it.

On the motorway, traffic generally doesn't flow as quickly as some might like to claim. Stick to an indicated 75 (in reality around the 70 limit) and you'll make good progress and need to overtake much of the traffic.

Stay around 60-65 and you'll make significant fuel savings. Put that against the insignificant amount of time you'll save by speeding and it's not worth it.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ho...speed-limit-while-driving.100448/post-1818163

if the vehicle is actually travelling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

This means that if you are driving at a true 75mph, then your speedo must not show less than that figure on the dial but can incidentally and legally also read higher than that figure - you have no idea if the speedo is reading accurately or over so that makes you a bit of a chancer doesn't it when you say you drive at an indicated 75mph - see above ^ :thumbsup:

When was the last time you had your speedo calibrated ?

Top Bottom