No Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Wolf04

Wolf04

And there I was thinking this thread was a celebration of sunny days. Still some very interesting discussion. Have to agree with BM on the risk compensation point. If you use a parachute when you jump out of a plane then you are risk compensating, it doesn't make it wrong. I upgrade things like lights when I can afford it also risk compensating. I have commented on helmet threads before that I wear one but am under no illusion about their limited effectiveness they are after all expanded polystyrene.
Pete

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Good post, fossyant!

Back to lights, I didn't succeed very well last night. My first EL530 gave up the ghost with two dead u/s AA rechargeables, I had to stick them in the recycling jar. My second started getting dimmer by the end of my 3 hour ride, and I ended up doing some 5 miles of darkened country lanes having to keep my speed well down. I hit a couple of potholes well hard.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't think these rock climbing ones are trendy...nooooo nooo noooo they are totally bad, but some folk think they are good......

I think my Pneumo or the Bell Sweep and loads of others are cool - but I'm 38 so cool isn't good at my age is it..... ignore that comment...but the guys in the rock climbing helmets look like real "divvies" !!! Total knoblets !!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll keep my LEDs in my rucksack for a while once it's totally light just in case I finish work late..... Light technology is sooo much better these days -I was commuting on my BLT's 20 miles each way 25% unlit 10 years ago - they are still going strong on an urban commute.... but at 3w output were OK on the road, stopped drivers dazzling, but are totally rubbish compared to the stuff you can get now.... and used the Duracell/Eveready lights with C-Cell rechargeable betteries to back them up - sooo much technology advance these days...

I just can't believe the advances in lighting it's amazing - so leave the buggers on, still makes cars move out the way for now....

domtyler

Über Member
I never wear a helmet while cycling, there is just no point whatsoever.

What I am interested in though is whether or not helmets make any useful contribution to safety for a motorcyclist. Has anyone got any data on this?
I would think that they may make it more likely to have an injury during a collision, they are very heavy and much larger than cycling helmets and the straps are much tougher too. I wonder how many bikers have their heads torn off?

Never looked at this due to the compulsion element of motorcycle helmets:-

NHS report
A review of studies concluded that helmets reduce the risk of head injury by around 69% and death by around 42%...... Some studies have suggested that helmets may protect against facial injury and that they have no effect on neck injury, but more research is required for a conclusive answer.

American Study
Per mile traveled in 2002, a motorcyclist
is approximately 27 times more
likely to die in a crash than someone
riding in an automobile.
Head injury is a leading cause of
death in motorcycle crashes
■An unhelmeted motorcyclist is 40
percent more likely to suffer a fatal
head injury and 15 percent more
likely to suffer a nonfatal injury
than a helmeted motorcyclist when
involved in a crash.

The interesting bit is that they have no effect on neck injury. I certainly know that there was a campaign some years ago to educate people into not taking off peoples helmets after an accident due to risk of spinal neck injuries. A number of people ended up paralysed because of that.

domtyler said:
I never wear a helmet while cycling, there is just no point whatsoever.

What I am interested in though is whether or not helmets make any useful contribution to safety for a motorcyclist. Has anyone got any data on this?
I would think that they may make it more likely to have an injury during a collision, they are very heavy and much larger than cycling helmets and the straps are much tougher too. I wonder how many bikers have their heads torn off?

So. Not a genuine question then. Another of your 'mischief' posts. As a kid did you pick your nose and put the result in other peoples pockets :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Terminator said:
Can't say I ever did that Crackle.

I did not for one moment, suggest you did. :thumbsup:

I sometimes find it difficult to tell Mr.Tylers poky stick posts, where he just shoves a stick through the bars to get a reaction, from his genuinely interested ones. No doubt that'll delight him.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
As a kid, I remember coming out of the house early evening after hearing a bang. Lad had picked a lass up at the local pub, and given her his helmet as he hadn't got a spare.

He'd met the nearside wing of a near neighbour as he'd turned right into his drive....

The neighbour lived 3 doors away, 2 doors away was a garage that sold second hand cars.

lass on the pillion flew over the wall infront of the garage forecourt. Hit a car wing, head on. Spent an extensive time in hospital, mainly with internal injuries.

The lad didn't manage to get over the wall. instead he went along the bottom of it. With his head doing an impression of a pencil eraser. No need for him to spend too long in hospital.

------------

When I got to 18, I was riding a 250 and eventually moved up to a 400cc.
Always wore a helmet tho.

domtyler

Über Member
Crackle said:
So. Not a genuine question then. Another of your 'mischief' posts. As a kid did you pick your nose and put the result in other peoples pockets :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well it looks like m/b helmets may offer some kind of quantifiable protection from what I can see. Not from heavy impact events, but they help to prevent minor impacts having serious or fatal consequences.

As to the point of this statement above? I can only assume you have been drinking? I suggest you slow down a little and in future stop before you start coming out with such toss.

So you were genuinely interested. Then I apologise for doing you a disservice.

No, not drinking, maybe I should. Mentally I feel a bit frazzled lately. Time to take a break.

Top Bottom