No more group ride for me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Gee

I started cycling in April, having recently retired. After 3 months, when I felt reasonably fit and could manage 25 miles plus at a reasonable pace I went out with a local CTC Sunday morning group.

Their average speed is 12-13 mph. much more than that and I may have struggled. It makes a change from riding alone. For the older and slower amongst us this may be the route to go down. There are plenty of CTC groups who would welcome new riders.

Since then I have bought a road bike and got that bit fitter, but enjoy the Sunday rides with them on my heavy old tourer.

I remember reading a recent post which described riding with a CTC group as seeing how slow you could go before falling off. Top humour! Well now you know - it is 12-13 mph.

Paul

martint235

Dog on a bike
I actually go quicker on my own. I cycle with other people for the company. I did once go out with a club and it wasn't the speed that put me off it was the regimented riding (I got told to "Go back to your place in line" at one point) and their belief that the road belonged to them and anyone else using it (including cars) did so because the club let them. Complete bunch of ......

So my advice is if you're happy on your own, go out on your own. If you want company join a social riding club (such as the Fridays, there are others though).

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Audax rides are usually long-distance and are usually semi-competitive. Or did you mean to say CTC?
I think you're on the wrong ride if you found an audax semi-competitive, sure there's a time limit but it's quite generous. Admittedly the shorted ones tend to be around the 62 mile mark so you are looking at a good few hours.

martint235

Dog on a bike
That's why I said 'semi-competitive' - I know they are not races, but I also know the way that many people ride them.
I'd advise the OP to just ignore that type of Audax rider. However I've only ever done one Audax and by the time I finished everyone had stopped having any illusions of being competitive and were just glad to finish! :thumbsup:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Audax results are only ever published in alphabetical order no positions or times are published,

I rarely know or care who finished first on Audaxes I do

. A few will try to get back first but for most its a ride at your own pace.

Points are awarded for distance and altitude gained. No points are awarded for speed.

There are a few 50 km events most are 100 or 200 kms. There are events up to 1400 km for those brave enough and you can devise your own route as long as you like provided you can do it at the minimum speed for the distance.

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
I set up my own. I run a triathlon club but decided long ago that trying to meet all requirements was too hard. So I do my own thing, and circulate to 50+ people on a google groups mailing list. I ALWAYS have company but rarely the same people and rarely more than a handful. Starts at my house! The wording I send out says:

NO NEED TO REPLY IF NOT COMING- helpful to know if you do plan to come. Please note that if I need to change the ride for any reason, I will send an email around one hour before scheduled start time. If you have already told me you are coming, I will also text you if you have given me your number.

Pace: I aiming for steady winter rides. I do not wish to have to go slower or faster than we can do comfortably as it is hard on all concerned. If you are much faster than us feel free to zoom off but you will quickly be on your own! If you do not feel you can keep up with the pace we set (we are pretty average!) we feel it only fair to point out that you may be better to organise a slower ride.

Print a map out if you have any concerns about being dropped (or zooming ahead!) I am confident we can predict the time pretty well. Average is 23-24kmh, slow and hilly drops this back to about 21-22kmh, on odd occasions it might get to 25-26kmh average with a following wind. That might sound slow, but in a race it is closer to 28-30 over 90 or 180km so I must be doing something right.

Remember that the start time is the start time, not the "arriving by car" time!

Finally, please come prepared with pump/toolkit/spare tube etc and food and drink.

Mike!

Guru
I went on my first group ride last summer after commuting 10 miles a day for a while then getting a road bike.

Longest distance I had done alone was around 30 miles and at 16mph average. Come the day I couldn't believe how easy it was in the pack cruising at over 20mph. I did take a turn at the front for a short while which I found very tough so didn't do it again which they were fine with.

I struggled with a hill and cramped after about 25 miles but wasn't far from the cafe stop so I was dragged along by a couple that dropped off to help me.

After the cafe recovery I felt strong and finished well. 38 miles with an average of over 19mph, well in excess of what I can do alone.

Haven't been back again but mainly due to back problems since but I really enjoyed it and once my fitness is up again I will go back.

I'd suggest getting your fitness up alone and then maybe find another club that has 2 or 3 different groups so you can find your level.

Top Bottom