No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Serge

Über Member
First off, a big shout out to @HobbesOnTour for setting me off on this, some would say, rather optimistic project.

I won't rehash the reasons behind this (mostly because I can't be bothered and time is too short) but I've committed myself to building a touring bike using the frame from my 1998 GT Timberline (RIP), a credit card and a, probably over inflated, sense of my capabilities.

I've started this thread more to motivate myself to keep going rather than to entertain my fellow CCers (although I'm sure I'll supply many chuckles with my ineptitude).

Please feel free to rag me mercilessly over my choice of parts, colour scheme, order of assembly, tools, etc. All advice will be gratefully received (and, more than likely, studiously ignored).

OK then, let's get going.

The one disadvantage of GT bikes is that the triple triangle lowers the position of the upper rack eyelets. This makes for longer rack stays and often angled down thereby reducing the natural triangulated stiffness of horizontal rack stays. Larger sizes of GT may be OK but the smaller ones are really bad for this.
Rack stiffness is a really important factor with heavier loads.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
OK then, this is what I started out with:

DSC_1019.JPG

I'm afraid the poor thing has been very poorly treated over its 20 odd years on this earth. It was used fairly regularly for it's first twelve months as a commuter. It was then pretty much mothballed for the next 12 years until I drunkenly agreed to cycle from Nuneaton to Caen for charity over five days.

Most people in their right minds would probably book it in for a service at least. Nope, didn't even change the original brake blocks. Training rides? Pah! I'll be fine.

First day? 87 miles. Result? Tucked up into an army issue sleeping bag on the top bunk when I got crippling cramp in both thighs. I didn't half hit the floor with a thud and a scream that would have made a horror movie damsel in distress proud.

Sorry, slight sidetrack there.

After moving house a couple of years ago I dragged the old beast out of the shed to make an hour's walk to work a fifteen minute pootle.

Then the cycling bug struck.

So, long story short (actually, that wasn't very short was it?) I decided I wanted to do some cycle touring.

So the above ended up like this:

DSC_1021.JPG

The first purchase (apart from the cheap toolkit and copious quantities of mind calming beer) was this:

DSC_1034.JPG

DSC_1037.JPG

Yes, a bike and a stand (I already had the child).

As the more observant among you will notice, I managed to fit the top clamp upside down. If that's a sign of things to come, I'm screwed.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
The one disadvantage of GT bikes is that the triple triangle lowers the position of the upper rack eyelets. This makes for longer rack stays and often angled down thereby reducing the natural triangulated stiffness of horizontal rack stays. Larger sizes of GT may be OK but the smaller ones are really bad for this.
Rack stiffness is a really important factor with heavier loads.
See, this is why I have no ruddy idea. I've read the above five times now and I still don't understand it. This is going to be so much fun.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I've just read it for the twelfth time and I've got it now. I suppose I'll find out when the ten quid rack arrives. Mistake?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A fellow GT fan, such a rare creature :hello:

The one disadvantage of GT bikes is that the triple triangle lowers the position of the upper rack eyelets. This makes for longer rack stays and often angled down thereby reducing the natural triangulated stiffness of horizontal rack stays.
Don't worry about this it is a non-issue. As long as the stays are straight you will be fine. I have been running mine like this since this picture was taken in 2010 when the bike was new and it is still going strong and has now done 18,000 miles.

upload_2018-8-7_17-41-21.png

I also have the same road bike as you, except mine started out as a 2011 model then got upgraded to the 2015? series 1 frame when the original developed a crack.

I will watch this thread with interest.....

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
A fellow GT fan, such a rare creature :hello:

Don't worry about this it is a non-issue. As long as the stays are straight you will be fine. I have been running mine like this since this picture was taken in 2010 when the bike was new and it is still going strong and has now done 18,000 miles.

View attachment 423203

I also have the same road bike as you, except mine started out as a 2011 model then got upgraded to the 2015? series 1 frame when the original developed a crack.

I will watch this thread with interest.....
The road bike only cost me £165 on the Bay of E's and I must admit I absolutely love thrashing it until I can hardly breathe. It's incredible how much pleasure you can get out of such a small outlay.

I'm just so excited now about having two bikes. Winter and summer.

Bugger, I've just realised I now need a spring and autumn bike.

First off, a big shout out to @HobbesOnTour for setting me off on this, some would say, rather optimistic project.
OK then, let's get going.
Oh no!!!

I'm not taking the blame if this doesn't work out!! ^_^^_^

Well done, You!

The bike isn't RIP... yet ;-) You can always bring it back!

If I remember correctly, you didn't consider yourself a mechanic, so well done on taking the plunge.
Whether you end up with the ultimate touring bike or not, what you'll learn will be invaluable, even if that consists of mainly what not to do! (The voice of experience here :laugh:)

Not sure what your plans are for the bike, in terms of what work you want to do on it and where you want to go.
I was lucky when I got mine because I already had a lot of kms under my belt and had a definite idea of what I wanted to do with it, so if you're not sure of those yet, I'd suggest to throw a rack on the back, throw a mudguard on the front, get some gear together and go for a ride!
Get a feel for what you like and how the bike deals with that. That'll inform what you want to do with the bike.

Throw away the credit card. Instead of paying it off at the end of the month, save for a month, do your research and check, double check that what you're buying is what you need and is compatible with everything else. (Sooooo much easier said than done! :laugh:)

You need feck all at the moment, once the bike is comfortable.

Youtube is your friend. You'd be amazed at what's on there for the mechanically challenged among us. ParkTool do great videos, long, but they explain everything.

The very best of luck!

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Oh no!!!

I'm not taking the blame if this doesn't work out!! ^_^^_^

Well done, You!

The bike isn't RIP... yet ;-) You can always bring it back!

If I remember correctly, you didn't consider yourself a mechanic, so well done on taking the plunge.
Whether you end up with the ultimate touring bike or not, what you'll learn will be invaluable, even if that consists of mainly what not to do! (The voice of experience here :laugh:)

Not sure what your plans are for the bike, in terms of what work you want to do on it and where you want to go.
I was lucky when I got mine because I already had a lot of kms under my belt and had a definite idea of what I wanted to do with it, so if you're not sure of those yet, I'd suggest to throw a rack on the back, throw a mudguard on the front, get some gear together and go for a ride!
Get a feel for what you like and how the bike deals with that. That'll inform what you want to do with the bike.

Throw away the credit card. Instead of paying it off at the end of the month, save for a month, do your research and check, double check that what you're buying is what you need and is compatible with everything else. (Sooooo much easier said than done! :laugh:)

You need feck all at the moment, once the bike is comfortable.

Youtube is your friend. You'd be amazed at what's on there for the mechanically challenged among us. ParkTool do great videos, long, but they explain everything.

The very best of luck!
Many thanks once again for the advice. I've spent the last three months since your first advice reading and reading and reading. And reading. Until I finally went nuts over the weekend and bought everything (I think) I need.

Time will tell whether I've got it right or not but, worst case scenario, I'll end up with loads of spares for the next couple of bikes!

Once again, thanks for the nudge.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The road bike only cost me £165 on the Bay of E's and I must admit I absolutely love thrashing it until I can hardly breathe. It's incredible how much pleasure you can get out of such a small outlay.
They are spritely beasts the GT roadbikes. I loved mine but never ride it now as I got the Grade instead. The Series bike is now on standby for the occasional ride when my tall 15yr old son joins me.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
They are spritely beasts the GT roadbikes. I loved mine but never ride it now as I got the Grade instead. The Series bike is now on standby for the occasional ride when my tall 15yr old son joins me.
I'm also making sure the original GT lives on. I've already ordered some decals to shout GT loud and proud.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I think this could be a great thread!

The OP is approaching this with a spirit of fun and adventure - 2 essential ingredients for any cycle tour.

I hope that the posters can be positive and encourage the OP.
Nothing wrong with pointing out problems, but let's try to do it with a positive spin.
Don't worry, I'll certainly be leaning on you all for your expertise.

I'll definitely be trying to do everything myself first though.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Top Bottom