No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What colour? or is that a secret :secret:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
and a heartfelt prayer to whatever gods there may be that my girlfriend doesn't see my credit card statement.

Good luck with keeping your project spending below the radar. Sounds like you could really be in the doghouse if it comes to light! :eek:

Blinking heck, I don't need any more pressure!

First real update:

I'll be taking the frame and the forks in today for shotblasting and powder coating (if I can work out how to attach them to my rucksack, should be fun ).

Before and after photos to follow.

That's something I've been thinking about doing.

What prep have you done to the frame / forks? Race's removed?
Bottom bracket?
What is being done to protect internal threads etc. from the powder-coat?

Like the sound of the colour! ^_^

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member

Bottom bracket?

Everything has been completely stripped off, it is literally just the bare frame and forks.

I'm afraid I didn't have time to take a before picture as my good lady would only lend me the car on the proviso that I "bloody hurry up" as she needed it to drive to the gym. My suggestion that she jog there was not well received.

Anyway, the chap at the powder coating place (TDW in Hinckley) has told me it'll be ready Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

In the meantime glorious, cycling related goodies are arriving apace. My wheels from Taylor's had been kindly taken in by my next door but one neighbour (thanks Mr No 29) and, when I returned from the paint shop, the posty had delivered my new cables and lithium grease (with another mystery parcel returned to the depot as it wouldn't fit through the letterbox) . My daughter thinks it's like Christmas!

I'll stuff some grub and beer down me then post some photos of the new purchases (the cable outers are ace!).

TTFN, as nobody ever says anymore.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member

Bottom bracket?

Sorry @HobbesOnTour, I've just realised I didn't fully answer your question (I do have a tendency to go off on a Ronnie Corbett style tangent).

I removed everything from the frame and fork including the, rather stubborn, crown races (blow torch, chisel and large knockometer had to be deployed).

With regard to protecting the threads, I can only refer the honourable poster to the title of this thread: No Ruddy Idea.

To be honest, it never occurred to me to ask. According to their website they've done this sort of thing before so I'll trust to a higher power.

Sorry @HobbesOnTour, I've just realised I didn't fully answer your question (I do have a tendency to go off on a Ronnie Corbett style tangent).

I removed everything from the frame and fork including the, rather stubborn, crown races (blow torch, chisel and large knockometer had to be deployed).

With regard to protecting the threads, I can only refer the honourable poster to the title of this thread: No Ruddy Idea.

To be honest, it never occurred to me to ask. According to their website they've done this sort of thing before so I'll trust to a higher power.

** apologies. Apostrophe seems to have disappeard from my keyboard!

Thanks for the answer! Dont worry, I know how exciting it is to be putting my own bike together!

My follow on question is when putting the bike back together. are you reusing the old headset or getting a new one?

TBH fooling around with the headset and the fear of damaging the sensitive threads around the Bottom bracket are what have turned me off powder coating my beast. Plus, the fact that it looks like a piece of crap makes it less attractive to potential thieves.^_^

The couple of times Ive made enquiries with powder coating businesses theyve been vague at best,and when I asked in a couple of local bike shops about getting the frame prepped for coating, their advice has been universally to buy a new bike. :banghead:

And youre lucky with the timing. Anyone I approached, I was looking at 2-4 weeks timeframe.

Good luck! And well done on starting this thread. Your enthusiasm is shining through!

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
** apologies. Apostrophe seems to have disappeard from my keyboard!

Thanks for the answer! Dont worry, I know how exciting it is to be putting my own bike together!

My follow on question is when putting the bike back together. are you reusing the old headset or getting a new one?

TBH fooling around with the headset and the fear of damaging the sensitive threads around the Bottom bracket are what have turned me off powder coating my beast. Plus, the fact that it looks like a piece of crap makes it less attractive to potential thieves.^_^

The couple of times Ive made enquiries with powder coating businesses theyve been vague at best,and when I asked in a couple of local bike shops about getting the frame prepped for coating, their advice has been universally to buy a new bike. :banghead:

And youre lucky with the timing. Anyone I approached, I was looking at 2-4 weeks timeframe.

Good luck! And well done on starting this thread. Your enthusiasm is shining through!
My enthusiasm may wane somewhat when I attempt to assemble the damn thing!

With regards to the threads, I suppose I make as good a guinea pig as anyone (I'm sure the credit card could stretch to a new frame!).

And yes, I will be using the original headset. It looks in perfect working order so I've just bought some metal polish to give it a damned good buffing.

Top Bottom