No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Bugger! I was hoping to nip out of work early today as the email fairies inform me four more packages are due to be delivered between twelve and four. But the boss has just turned up. That's scuppered that idea.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Result! I managed to sneak out a little early, broke the sound barrier on the way home and it looks like I haven't missed the delivery.

Now for a gruelling afternoon of drinking beer and waiting for Father Christmas to arrive once again.

I think some serious YouTube swotting is in order.

Later peeps.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Woo hoo! More goodies!

DSC_1049.JPG

Quick ciggy, then unwrap and hide before the good lady catches me and rips me a new one.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
OK then, quick status update then the big reveal.

There's still six more packages en route, including the all important groupset and the frame should be ready for collection no later than next Wednesday 15th.

Now this is the point where you tell me I've bitten off more than I can chew.

At the end of July I found out about a charity bike ride from Liverpool back to Nuneaton to raise money for two local kids who have had, quite frankly, the worst luck you could possibly imagine (more on this later). After reading their heartbreaking story I signed up immediately (well, immediately after drying my eyes).

However, just completing the bike ride didn't seem enough of a challenge to encourage the people who know me to dig deep enough. After all, it's only the sort of mileage people expect me to do over a normal weekend.

Coupled with the fact I'd been half-heartedly planning this bike build for the last few months, I decided I was going to commit myself to getting the bike built and ready to use on the charity ride.

And the date we'll be travelling to Liverpool? Thursday September 20th. Yes, that is this year!

So, roughly one month to put together a bike that is, hopefully, not going to kill me with nothing more than a (possibly deluded) sense of optimism, zero experience, YouTube and, hopefully, the support of all you wonderful fellow CCers out there.

Let me know your thoughts.

What's the worst that could happen!?

Salar

A fish out of water
You'll be ok.

Even taking your time a bike can be built up over a weekend.

I can't see on the pictures, but did you take the bottom bracket and shell out before you sent it to be shot blast and powder coated.
Just hope they have blanked off, covered up any open ends.

The fiddly bits are setting up the gears and possibly brakes, but youtube and of course on here, is your friend.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
You'll be ok.

Even taking your time a bike can be built up over a weekend.

I can't see on the pictures, but did you take the bottom bracket and shell out before you sent it to be shot blast and powder coated.
Just hope they have blanked off, covered up any open ends.

The fiddly bits are setting up the gears and possibly brakes, but youtube and of course on here, is your friend.
I am starting to get a little worried about the frame with some of the comments I've received. I think a phone call will set my mind at ease.

I have looked at the work that needs doing and I am fairly confident I can get it up and running in time. The only slightly bum clenching problem is the chainset and brakeset are being shipped from China, with the brakes having an estimated delivery window of 24th August to 24th September. If it's the earlier date, fine. If it's the later date, I'll just refit the originals. Nothing wrong with them as far as I can see.

The other potential problem is if I've forgotten something crucial and/or ordered something completely incompatible (I certainly wouldn't put it past me).

But hey, it's all part of the challenge and should keep you all entertained if nothing else!

OK, dinner's taking longer than I thought so, fuelled only by cheap alcohol, I couldn't resist opening my shiny new packages.

First the wheels:
Then I realised, by some sort of cosmic karma (or more likely the fact that they were fairly cheap), I'd bought the exact same wheels that were fitted to the original GT:
Serge, quick question.
Is there a problem with the original wheels?
My understanding is that you're replacing like with like?
If there's no problem with the original wheels I wonder if it would be an idea to return the new ones and look for stronger ones given that you want to use the bike as a tourer?

My Trek's wheels were good and strong, but when I fully loaded it up I realised quickly that I was asking wheels to do a job that they weren't suited for.

If you only intend to travel light, then it shouldn't be much of an issue. If you fancy taking the little one on a camping trip the weight can quickly add up.

My understanding is that online purchases can be returned relatively easily in the first couple of weeks. Something to consider?

Salar

A fish out of water
We all mistakes.

Only the other weekend I changed the handlebars and put a stem riser on one of my bikes.

Put the grips,brakes and shifters back on and wondered why I couldn't reach the shifters, kept jamming my fingers.

What's going on here then. It took a couple of minutes before I realised I'd put the shifters on the wrong ends of the bars.

Doh, off with the grips and brakes and start again.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Serge, quick question.
Is there a problem with the original wheels?
My understanding is that you're replacing like with like?
If there's no problem with the original wheels I wonder if it would be an idea to return the new ones and look for stronger ones given that you want to use the bike as a tourer?

My Trek's wheels were good and strong, but when I fully loaded it up I realised quickly that I was asking wheels to do a job that they weren't suited for.

If you only intend to travel light, then it shouldn't be much of an issue. If you fancy taking the little one on a camping trip the weight can quickly add up.

My understanding is that online purchases can be returned relatively easily in the first couple of weeks. Something to consider?
The rims are the same but I've gone for the dynamo hub with 36 spokes as opposed to the current 32. And they're shiny!

Joking apart, the current rims are over twenty years old and I've never been great in the past at changing the pads as often as I should. I vividly remember the metal on metal screeching on an unexpectedly fast descent on my way to France some time ago. It wouldn't surprise me if I had thicker fag papers than those rims.

si_c

Guru
The rims are the same but I've gone for the dynamo hub with 36 spokes as opposed to the current 32. And they're shiny!

Joking apart, the current rims are over twenty years old and I've never been great in the past at changing the pads as often as I should. I vividly remember the metal on metal screeching on an unexpectedly fast descent on my way to France some time ago. It wouldn't surprise me if I had thicker fag papers than those rims.
That's pretty much the right attitude. Two things I don't fsck about with on bikes, wheels and brakes - anything else and you can live with substandard for a surprisingly long time.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
That's pretty much the right attitude. Two things I don't fsck about with on bikes, wheels and brakes - anything else and you can live with substandard for a surprisingly long time.
My thoughts entirely. To my completely untrained eye, the current wheels appear fine. However, I know how badly they've been treated. I've managed to get brand new wheels with a dynamo hub and front and rear lights for about £110 delivered. I think that's the bargain of the build so far.

Anyway, duty calls. I've promised my little Poppy a game of dominoes before bedtime.

Top Bottom