No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Sorry to be a bore. Is that the chainset? My understanding was that anything over £15 value triggered extra charges. Interested in how this pans out.

Nice thread.
It is the chainset, yes. I've heard of people who have been charged no extra and some who've been charged full whack. For forty five quid, I thought it was worth a punt.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Yes, please do - it's a modest gesture compared to what you and others are doing for those two lads.

Seeing that you're starting here in Liverpool, I'd love to join you for the ride. But it happens to be the day of my 60th birthday, and I can think of one dearly beloved person who would be less than pleased if I finished the day 120 miles away in Nuneaton :wacko:

Anyway, the butterfly bars... I got them a couple of years ago when I was also building a touring bike - mine is based on a 1980s Raleigh Royal touring frame I got for £40. I know a lot of cycle tourists love them and it seemed like the ideal time to try them. And they're actually very nice - I can see why people like them so much as they offer some very comfortable hand positions.

But I think that, after my decades in the saddle, my brain is so tied to the randonneur pattern drop bar that I just can't manage without my drops.

So, the butterfly is all yours if you want to try it - and if you find you don't like it and don't want to keep it, just pass it forward to someone else.
That's an absolutely fantastic gesture, thank you so much. I will definitely take those off your hands and invite you to join us all for a couple of pints the night before the ride in Liverpool. I'll PM you my details and, as soon as I find out where we're all meeting up, I'll PM you that too. I've got to get you some beers for your sixtieth.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
It's funny how you get so used to things though isn't it? I've had this road bike since April and I just cannot use the drops. I tried again last week, did a power wobble and got beeped by an angry BMW driver who subsequently drove me into the verge.

Alan O

Über Member
That's an absolutely fantastic gesture, thank you so much. I will definitely take those off your hands and invite you to join us all for a couple of pints the night before the ride in Liverpool. I'll PM you my details and, as soon as I find out where we're all meeting up, I'll PM you that too. I've got to get you some beers for your sixtieth.
Now that sounds good! A pint or two the night before would be great - I'm sure I could be allowed out for that :okay: Got your PM details too.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Just picked up my mystery parcel from the Post Office, you've just got to love the name of the supplier:
DSC_1064.JPG

Now to open.

Just picked up my mystery parcel from the Post Office, you've just got to love the name of the supplier:
View attachment 424065
Now to open.
So customs accepted the tick in the box saying that it was "a gift" even though the outside of the package was clearly marked as being from a bike shop? A very super shop that gives stuff away. Curious. I often come across ebay stuff that turns out to be from Taiwan or China but always leave it if it's over £15.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
So customs accepted the tick in the box saying that it was "a gift" even though the outside of the package was clearly marked as being from a bike shop? A very super shop that gives stuff away. Curious. I often come across ebay stuff that turns out to be from Taiwan or China but always leave it if it's over £15.
Yes, I know. I suppose I should feel guilty. And I do, a little. I promise not to do it again. After the groupset arrives.

I do know what you're saying though, but can we maybe start another thread to discuss the ethics, or lack of, of doing this sort of thing?

So, now we're all just waiting for you to pick up the bike from the powder-coater?
Anything else you're waiting on?
What saddle are you going to use?
What's going to be your first tour on this bike - excluding the charity ride? Any ideas where you want to go? How long?

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
So, now we're all just waiting for you to pick up the bike from the powder-coater?
Anything else you're waiting on?
What saddle are you going to use?
What's going to be your first tour on this bike - excluding the charity ride? Any ideas where you want to go? How long?
Once the chainset arrives, I'm pretty much good to go. I'm just about to start ten days of late shifts though so fettling time will be at a premium.

I've decided, for the charity ride, to re-fit the original saddle as I know it's very familiar with my backside. But I think a Brooks would have to be on a future shopping list (they look the mutt's nuts if nothing else).

With regards to the first tour I think it'll pretty much be take a week off work, get the wind at my back and set off. Three days out, three days back and one day to catch up on the alcohol consumption. A nice loop of roughly sixty miles a day, along quiet country lanes, liberally interspersed with welcoming hostelries. Sounds like a plan does it not?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've decided, for the charity ride, to re-fit the original saddle as I know it's very familiar with my backside. But I think a Brooks would have to be on a future shopping list (they look the mutt's nuts if nothing else).

I'm a big fan of Brooks saddles, they seem to suit me backside, but for my latest bike I fancied something different. I opted for a Gilles Berthoud Aravis, bit more than a Brooks, but IMO it's better looking & as comfy, worth a look if/when the budget can stretch that far :blush:

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I'm a big fan of Brooks saddles, they seem to suit me backside, but for my latest bike I fancied something different. I opted for a Gilles Berthoud Aravis, bit more than a Brooks, but IMO it's better looking & as comfy, worth a look if/when the budget can stretch that far :blush:
I will certainly do that, thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Blinkin' 'eck! They are rather pricey aren't they? That'd about double the value of the bike.

Top Bottom