No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With regards to the first tour I think it'll pretty much be take a week off work, get the wind at my back and set off. Three days out, three days back and one day to catch up on the alcohol consumption. A nice loop of roughly sixty miles a day, along quiet country lanes, liberally interspersed with welcoming hostelries. Sounds like a plan does it not?
It does! ^_^
Camping?

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
It does! ^_^
Camping?
I think so, with judicious bale out points along the way if I begin to yearn for some creature comforts.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Just thought I'd just give you all a quick update on progress.

In a nutshell, not a lot.

I'm yet to hear from the powder coaters so I'll be giving them a call in the morning to check on how long it'll be.

I've received a few more parcels (some, rather unfortunately, intercepted by the good lady. I think she's starting to realise what's going on.):

The slime tubes (so my first bit of construction can finally begin now I have the wheels, tubes and tyres), some good quality cable cutters, the bar ends (now redundant due to @Alan O's generous donation of a set of butterfly bars) and another mystery parcel that requires collecting from the Post Office (I'm going to have to get a bigger letter box).

So, still pretty hamstrung at the moment. Even if I can pick up the frame and forks in the next couple of days, I'm still reliant on the chainset and headset bearings to arrive before I can do anything truly constructive (or destructive, as the case may be).

To be fair, with work and school holiday child minding commitments at the moment, my free time is rather sparse.

At least the fundraising has started to take off. Sponsorship forms have been distributed and, once again, people's generosity continues to amaze.

So, thanks for following. I promise I'll keep you all updated with progress (or lack thereof).

I've received a few more parcels (some, rather unfortunately, intercepted by the good lady. I think she's starting to realise what's going on.):

I know you think this off-topic serge but I don't think it is - for the guidance of other folks sourcing bits for a build.

What did you get charged - for customs? VAT? Handling charge? How much did it add up to?

Must admit that for a chainset for the type of bike you are building I would have been inclined to just go to Spa Cycles. No border complications with Yorkshire. Yet.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I know you think this off-topic serge but I don't think it is - for the guidance of other folks sourcing bits for a build.

What did you get charged - for customs? VAT? Handling charge? How much did it add up to?

Must admit that for a chainset for the type of bike you are building I would have been inclined to just go to Spa Cycles. No border complications with Yorkshire. Yet.
No problem.

I wasn't charged anything extra. The price quoted on eBay was £45.00 and that's all I paid. I just turned up at the Post Office, showed my ID, furnished them with my signature and collected the parcel.

I'll be picking up what I think is the chainset this morning but, for whatever reason, that has not been marked as an international delivery requiring a signature. It wasn't delivered due to being too large to fit through the letterbox.

I'll post a photo of the packaging as soon as I get back.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
OK so, quick blast to the Post Office to pick up my parcel:
DSC_1067.JPG

I'll let @Blue Hills pick over that, slightly different MO.

Briefly thought "Shall I wait until later and let Poppy open it?" then quickly demolished the box (in my defence, she may be having a sleepover tonight so wouldn't be back anyway).
DSC_1068.JPG

You can't beat brand new shiny bits can you?

Enough of this dallying, away to work to earn enough to pay off the credit card.

Top Bottom