No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Need more info!! ^_^

Do the tubes come with slime already inside or do you add it?
Is the slime instead of or combines with air in the tube?
If you get a puncture you just remove the source & pump it up again?
With air or slime?
So... you're using normal tyres, but "special" slime tubes?
Got a link to your tubes?
I've read about tubeless tyres, but this is different, right?
Thanks!

P.S. This is what happens when you start one of these threads..... you get lots of questions! ^_^
They're normal inner tubes with the slime already inside.

Just pump them up as normal and away you go.

As you say, if you get a puncture, remove the offending article and reinflate.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Slime-Pre-Filled-Self-Healing-Inner-Tubes_6418.htm

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Well this is a bit of a turn around. Before I started frequenting this site I thought a cassette was what I put in my tape deck and a bottom bracket was what was holding up my lowest shelves. Now people are asking me for advice.

Wonders will never cease.

I used the same slime tubes as in your pic from. Got them from J E James.
They really do the job. In fact to the extent I left them in for years. The rubber finally went manky and one day the rear valve just blew off.
It was like sitting on a green catherine wheel. It was all over the bike & me.
The real fun came when I realized the lock ring was seized so couldn't get the damn thing off, and after 300 punctures sealing the tube had glued itself to the inside of the tyre!

So my top tip is to take them out and check them over every so often.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Had some slime inner tubes fitted on a bike trailer as the tyres were a real pain to get off if they punctured. Left trailer in back of car one very hot day. Returned to car hours later to find inside coated in slime. Looked like a scene from Alien. Presume heat had caused tubes to explode.

Great thread btw.
Thanks.

The only problem I've ever had with a slime tube was when I managed to buy one without any slime in.

That necessitated a detour to deepest, darkest Daventry for a replacement. Halfords swapped it for me at no cost, the beauty of e-receipts.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I too did have a slime tube explode with a big bang on a very hot day.
Mind, that was after it had been on the wheel for at least 3 years, finally the valve had failed.
We were sat at the coffee stop, so all good, I just changed to a new inner, the old one didn't leak much, guess there was hardly any slime left in it.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Got another missed parcel to pick up from the Post Office this afternoon. If it's the headset bearings, all that's left to pick up is the frame and fork and we're away!

tom73

Guru
Got another missed parcel to pick up from the Post Office this afternoon. If it's the headset bearings, all that's left to pick up is the frame and fork and we're away!

Oh soon be build time :hyper: let's hope not to many tool's are not thrown in anger. Taking a moment to work out what's wrong and try again with a clear head often work's. For every other time I find a big hammer fixer's most thing's. :smile:

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Oh soon be build time :hyper: let's hope not to many tool's are not thrown in anger. Taking a moment to work out what's wrong and try again with a clear head often work's. For every other time I find a big hammer fixer's most thing's. :smile:
The large knockometer has already been wielded during the dismantling phase.

I will take your advice on board though. I'm very much in the "measure twice, cut once" camp (basically because I have no idea what I'm ruddy doing).

So, slow and steady wins the race (and other such meaningless claptrap).

Still no word from the powder coaters though. I'm loathe to contact them again for fear of peeing them off. To be fair, I've got five days off work starting on Thursday (minus one day earmarked for the prodigious imbibing of wobbly juice, or day on the lash if you prefer), so I should, hopefully, break the back of it then.

tom73

Guru
The large knockometer has already been wielded during the dismantling phase.

I will take your advice on board though. I'm very much in the "measure twice, cut once" camp (basically because I have no idea what I'm ruddy doing).

So, slow and steady wins the race (and other such meaningless claptrap).

Still no word from the powder coaters though. I'm loathe to contact them again for fear of peeing them off. To be fair, I've got five days off work starting on Thursday (minus one day earmarked for the prodigious imbibing of wobbly juice, or day on the lash if you prefer), so I should, hopefully, break the back of it then.

Good man :okay: Anyway well you are waiting it's more time to check how to do stuff and fine tune the plan.

I have to say I quite like the idea of building a bike not sure my bank balance is quite as ready.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Good man :okay: Anyway well you are waiting it's more time to check how to do stuff and fine tune the plan.

I have to say I quite like the idea of building a bike not sure my bank balance is quite as ready.
That's a very good idea. I think the time between now and picking up the frame will be spent planning in which order I'll be (inexpertly bodging) expertly fitting the components. I can feel a wallchart coming on.

tom73

Guru
That's a very good idea. I think the time between now and picking up the frame will be spent planning in which order I'll be (inexpertly bodging) expertly fitting the components. I can feel a wallchart coming on.

:okay: Oh even better can't beat a good wallchart and a good old check list. Nothing like ticking off stuff and standing back and thinking not a bad day's work.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
You've set me off now! Here goes with a preliminary plan off the top of my head:

Bearings and fork,
Stem,
Bars,
Wheels (so I can take it off the stand post fettle),
Bottom bracket,
Cranks,
Derailleurs,
Chain,
Brake and gear levers,
Cables,
Seatpost and saddle,
Mudguards,