No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Two likes so far and no "you daft wazzock you've forgotten such and such".

Highly unexpected.

I assumed you already had a bell :whistle:

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I assumed you already had a bell :whistle:
I'm still undecided on the bell. I know I should have one, but I just can't bring myself to use them.

I had one in the past (on the bike that was passed on to me by my late step-father and subsequently stolen) and I always felt embarrassed to use it. I don't know why, I just always felt it signified "get out of my way" rather than "excuse me please".

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I'm still undecided on the bell. I know I should have one, but I just can't bring myself to use them.

I had one in the past (on the bike that was passed on to me by my late step-father and subsequently stolen) and I always felt embarrassed to use it. I don't know why, I just always felt it signified "get out of my way" rather than "excuse me please".

While travelling along the cycleroute the other day, I came up behind a couple walking side by side. I politely called "excuse me please"

As I was passing, the women said "Where's your bell?" to which I replied "it's in the shed, along with my tassles and dolly basket"

I thought her husband was going to wet himself :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I assume you've got pedals, yes?
And bar grips?
Pedals yes, I'm going to use the M530's off my road bike. I've got a spare set of cheap Boardman pedals I can put on that.

As for the grips, I need to wait and see what's on the butterfly bars that @Alan O's kindly donated to me. Maybe look at some funky bar tape?

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
What does everyone think about the order? Sensible? Or have I missed something obvious?

It was literally off the top of my head so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
OK, so I think the things that are worrying me the most at the moment are:

Fitting the headset bearings,
Fitting the front derailleur in the correct position,
Reconnecting the chain,
Routing the cables and cutting the outers to the correct length.

Any tips gratefully received.

Alan O

Über Member
Pedals yes, I'm going to use the M530's off my road bike. I've got a spare set of cheap Boardman pedals I can put on that.

As for the grips, I need to wait and see what's on the butterfly bars that @Alan O's kindly donated to me. Maybe look at some funky bar tape?
There's nothing on them, just bare metal bars - perfect for tape :okay: Surprised they haven't arrived yet - PO said they should be there today (Friday)

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
There's nothing on them, just bare metal bars - perfect for tape :okay: Surprised they haven't arrived yet - PO said they should be there today (Friday)
I think that must be the parcel that Mrs Serge kindly offered to pop into town to pick up for me (then called me afterwards complaining that I hadn't warned her how big it was going to be).

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I now just have to decide whether to go for black bar tape to match the saddle or orange to match the trim.

Answers on a postcard please.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
The wanderer returns, bearing goodies.
DSC_1077.JPG

DSC_1081.JPG

That's it then. Once I have the frame and fork, work can begin.

I now seem to be passing house construction blocks.

Top Bottom