No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
As for the grips, I need to wait and see what's on the butterfly bars that @Alan O's kindly donated to me. Maybe look at some funky bar tape?

Definitely black bar tape with that set up!

Once again, thanks @Alan O for the kind gift.

Alan offered those bars to me when I first got here, but I had already ordered some from eBay on his earlier recommendation. Top man, that Mr O. Anyway, I used bar tape first with grips at the ends, but recently bought some foam tubing which covers most of the bars. It's comfortable, and I like it. The stuff I bought was cheap from eBay, and already has an inner-tube patch on it where it's started to split at a bend, but I'm sure there's better quality stuff available, perhaps from wheelchair suppliers?

JhnBssll

Veteran
Here you go, this is the same as the stuff I used:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pro-Sport-Control-Bar-Tape-with-Bar-End-Plugs-and-Fixing-Tape_91469.htm

Seems they've only got black with white stripe available though at the moment, have a look on eBay maybe?

20180809_221642.jpg

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member

I'm still undecided on the bell. I know I should have one, but I just can't bring myself to use them.

I had one in the past (on the bike that was passed on to me by my late step-father and subsequently stolen) and I always felt embarrassed to use it. I don't know why, I just always felt it signified "get out of my way" rather than "excuse me please".
I think bells may be a cultural thing.....

I live in NL and everyone has a bell (except the racer wannabees) and they are used frequently and are not seen as offensive "Get the hell outta my way" signals, more of a polite "I'm coming up behind you".

Mind you, it depends how people use them. Some people ring, in what could be seen as an aggressive manner, others in a more polite manner.

It took me a while to get used to it at the start, but now I wouldn't consider it appropriate to cycle without a bell.

I remember touring in Italy and on the first day where there was a significant amount of normal roads getting very frustrated with all the motorists "blasting" me with their horns. Yet they always gave me lots of space? Then, I realised that what they were doing was less "blasting" but more "tooting" - they were letting me know there was a car coming up behind is all. Quite civilised, in fact! But my conditioning was that when a car honked the horn it was because they hated me!

I strongly recommend using a bell anywhere you come in contact with pedestrians - or slower moving cyclists. By all means follow up with a cheery "Hello" if a bell feels awkward, but the attitude needs to change on both sides - a bell is not an instruction, nor is it nerdy or childish.

By the way, that applies to racer wannabees too. I despise the b*stards who zip past me, way too close with nary a warning. I've got a heavy bike, loaded with panniers. Give me space!!

OK, so I think the things that are worrying me the most at the moment are:

Fitting the headset bearings,
Fitting the front derailleur in the correct position,
Reconnecting the chain,
Routing the cables and cutting the outers to the correct length.

Any tips gratefully received.

The first two, I think will be the most difficult.
I can see the headset being frustrating.
The only time I removed a front derailleur I had marked its position before removal - but that's not an option for you. But lots of people do it all the time. It might take time, but it's doable.
The chain is easy enough to do. You have quicklinks? The issue is getting the correct length. Do you have a chain breaker tool?
As for the cables, a good cable cutter is vital! When I put new brakes & cables on mine, I just cut the outers to the same length as the old ones. A like for like replacement. However, I'll be redoing that job and using longer outers on the front (at the handlebars) to allow better manipulation of the cables around my handlebar bag.
My assumption is that a longer cable won't make any significant difference. If anyone has any objections to that, I'd love to know! ^_^ Thanks!

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I think bells may be a cultural thing.....

I live in NL and everyone has a bell (except the racer wannabees) and they are used frequently and are not seen as offensive "Get the hell outta my way" signals, more of a polite "I'm coming up behind you".

Mind you, it depends how people use them. Some people ring, in what could be seen as an aggressive manner, others in a more polite manner.

It took me a while to get used to it at the start, but now I wouldn't consider it appropriate to cycle without a bell.

I remember touring in Italy and on the first day where there was a significant amount of normal roads getting very frustrated with all the motorists "blasting" me with their horns. Yet they always gave me lots of space? Then, I realised that what they were doing was less "blasting" but more "tooting" - they were letting me know there was a car coming up behind is all. Quite civilised, in fact! But my conditioning was that when a car honked the horn it was because they hated me!

I strongly recommend using a bell anywhere you come in contact with pedestrians - or slower moving cyclists. By all means follow up with a cheery "Hello" if a bell feels awkward, but the attitude needs to change on both sides - a bell is not an instruction, nor is it nerdy or childish.

By the way, that applies to racer wannabees too. I despise the b*stards who zip past me, way too close with nary a warning. I've got a heavy bike, loaded with panniers. Give me space!!
A bell it is then, I'll just have to get over myself.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
The first two, I think will be the most difficult.
I can see the headset being frustrating.
The only time I removed a front derailleur I had marked its position before removal - but that's not an option for you. But lots of people do it all the time. It might take time, but it's doable.
The chain is easy enough to do. You have quicklinks? The issue is getting the correct length. Do you have a chain breaker tool?
As for the cables, a good cable cutter is vital! When I put new brakes & cables on mine, I just cut the outers to the same length as the old ones. A like for like replacement. However, I'll be redoing that job and using longer outers on the front (at the handlebars) to allow better manipulation of the cables around my handlebar bag.
My assumption is that a longer cable won't make any significant difference. If anyone has any objections to that, I'd love to know! ^_^ Thanks!
I have the chain breaker tool and some good quality cable cutters so no worries there.

I've been having a bit of a swot up this morning on fitting the bearings (whilst it's quiet at work) and I don't think it's going to be as tricky as I first thought. I'll be fitting the wheels to the frame and fork first so I can ensure the fork is sitting in the lower bearings properly before tightening, so slight change to the order there.

Good point about the cable outers at the front as I want to be able to attach a bar bag in the future. I love the look of the one made by Restrap. If I cut them long I can always shorten them in the future (a little more tricky the other way around).

Top Bottom