No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I came home from work today to an empty house so thought: "sod it, I'll get those tubes and tyres on".

Out to the garage to collect all the parts (thought I'd be brave and do it in the front room before Mrs Serge got home):
DSC_1069.JPG

Do you think those tyre levers are going to be big enough?

As you can see, I also brought in the cassette on the off chance the initial fettling went to plan.

First job, fit the rim tape:
DSC_1071.JPG
DSC_1070.JPG

Almost as difficult as trying to fit into those cycling shorts I bought recently that were a size too small.

Next up, tubes and tyres (with countless thoughts at the back of my mind of how difficult Marathons are to get on):
DSC_1072.JPG

Apart from pinging the tyre levers across the room on several occasions, it all went rather swimmingly.

As I'd been fairly successful (in other words: no blood had yet been spilled), I thought I may as well have a bash at fitting the cassette.

First job: take some photos in case it falls to bits when I cut the cable ties.
DSC_1074.JPG

Quick swot up on YouTube then jump right in.
DSC_1075.JPG

Blinking heck, I hope all the jobs are as easy as that. Literally just slide it on and tighten it up. At this rate I'll soon be experienced enough to get a job at Halford's.

Finally, the QR skewers.
DSC_1076.JPG

The only slight fly in the ointment is one is black and the other is chromed. I'm not sure how much that is going to annoy me. Hay ho, as long as the buggers don't fall off, I guess I can live with it.

I'm pretty chuffed with my first fettle (now cue all the replies pointing out which bits I've put on backwards).

The frame should be ready for collection on Friday and, according to Amazon, the headset bearings are in transit. So the build should soon be progressing apace.

My tentative plan is to get it all up and running by Saturday the 8th of September so things can bed in and be adjusted as necessary before the big day (cables, gears, spokes, etc.).

So, roughly three weeks from the time I get the frame to when I get a sparkling new bike. No pressure!

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Just a small addendum to my previous post.

For anyone out there planning on doing the same as me, the best purchases I've made so far have been the cycle specific tools. The whole thing would have been literally impossible to attempt without them and I've only just started.

Happy fettling!

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
@Serge loving the step by step pictures.
I am looking forward to learn from the most difficult bits.
Thank you for making the effort to share.
They say a picture paints a thousand words and I tend to use a thousand words to describe something fairly simple (sesquipedalianism has always been a fault of mine), so a plethora of pictures seems to be the way forward.

And thanks for the encouragement, it really does help knowing you're all out there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I came home from work today to an empty house so thought: "sod it, I'll get those tubes and tyres on".

Out to the garage to collect all the parts (thought I'd be brave and do it in the front room before Mrs Serge got home):
View attachment 424666
Do you think those tyre levers are going to be big enough?

As you can see, I also brought in the cassette on the off chance the initial fettling went to plan.

First job, fit the rim tape:
View attachment 424673 View attachment 424674
Almost as difficult as trying to fit into those cycling shorts I bought recently that were a size too small.

Next up, tubes and tyres (with countless thoughts at the back of my mind of how difficult Marathons are to get on):
View attachment 424675
Apart from pinging the tyre levers across the room on several occasions, it all went rather swimmingly.

As I'd been fairly successful (in other words: no blood had yet been spilled), I thought I may as well have a bash at fitting the cassette.

First job: take some photos in case it falls to bits when I cut the cable ties.
View attachment 424676
Quick swot up on YouTube then jump right in.
View attachment 424677
Blinking heck, I hope all the jobs are as easy as that. Literally just slide it on and tighten it up. At this rate I'll soon be experienced enough to get a job at Halford's.

Finally, the QR skewers.
View attachment 424678
The only slight fly in the ointment is one is black and the other is chromed. I'm not sure how much that is going to annoy me. Hay ho, as long as the buggers don't fall off, I guess I can live with it.

I'm pretty chuffed with my first fettle (now cue all the replies pointing out which bits I've put on backwards).

The frame should be ready for collection on Friday and, according to Amazon, the headset bearings are in transit. So the build should soon be progressing apace.

My tentative plan is to get it all up and running by Saturday the 8th of September so things can bed in and be adjusted as necessary before the big day (cables, gears, spokes, etc.).

So, roughly three weeks from the time I get the frame to when I get a sparkling new bike. No pressure!
Just an idea but why not swap to 'Allen Key' skewers, only about a tenner a pair.

View: https://youtu.be/yyuF7O29THw

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Good work chap, nice progress :okay:

It's nit-picking, but the only thing I would change would be to line the tire logos up with the valves. Makes finding and repairing punctures much easier (and looks pretty) :blush:

I'm looking forward to seeing the frameset :okay::becool:
Damn, I've read that somewhere on here before as well.

Too late now, those buggers aren't coming off in a hurry. Getting them on was akin to arm wrestling an angry octopus on steroids.

Good advice for the next one though.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I put my Schwalbes on backwards once. A combination of going too fast and getting too cocky! I won't make that mistake again!^_^ - it really makes a difference!
I have to admit, I did Google some pictures of bikes just to triple check I was putting them on the right way round (you really ought to be able to buy beginners tyres with arrows on them).

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Just to back up, a little. You mentioned something about slime for the tubes/tyres?
Can you elaborate a little more?
Certainly. I bought the "Slime" tubes for additional puncture protection. They're filled with a green gunk that automatically seals a puncture. I used them on the old MTB and I can't fault them. I've pulled giant Hawthorns out of the tyre before, pumped it back up and set off on my merry way. That was in March and the tyre is still fully inflated now. Well worth the small additional outlay in my humble opinion.

Certainly. I bought the "Slime" tubes for additional puncture protection. They're filled with a green gunk that automatically seals a puncture. I used them on the old MTB and I can't fault them. I've pulled giant Hawthorns out of the tyre before, pumped it back up and set off on my merry way. That was in March and the tyre is still fully inflated now. Well worth the small additional outlay in my humble opinion.

Need more info!! ^_^

Do the tubes come with slime already inside or do you add it?
Is the slime instead of or combines with air in the tube?
If you get a puncture you just remove the source & pump it up again?
With air or slime?
So... you're using normal tyres, but "special" slime tubes?
Got a link to your tubes?
I've read about tubeless tyres, but this is different, right?
Thanks!

P.S. This is what happens when you start one of these threads..... you get lots of questions! ^_^

Top Bottom