No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
OK, after being thrashed at dominoes by my five year old, it's time to fill you in on the reason behind the charity ride.

In the words of Mick Ellis, the gent who has kicked off the whole thing:

"PLEASE READ...

One of my best mates Tim Smith gave me a call and told me how cut up he was about his son’s best friend Luke Phillips.

Luke is a 12 year old boy from Nuneaton who Sadly lost his mum to cancer just over a year ago, which is devastating in itself for anyone to deal with let alone a boy of this age. His dad took the roll on of both parents until only a couple of weeks ago, the most tragic thing that ever could of happened, did. Luke’s dad took him out on his motorbike on Monday 2nd July and as he went round a corner they hit a lorry coming the other way. Luke suffered life changing injuries causing amputation. If this wasn’t enough for this little boy to deal with, 2 days after becoming stable his older brother had to break the news to him that his dad had sadly died at the scene. His brother Nathan who is only 19 years old himself has also had to deal with the most heartbreaking news that no family should ever have to go through. Nathan has now stepped up putting his own life to one side to focus on his brothers recovery and becoming his guardian/brother/Role Model who I could guarantee his dad Dave Phillips would of been so proud of. After talking to Nathan he really is one of the nicest young kids I’ve ever spoken too. These boys have been left with absolute devastation and now have only got each other. This has hit both myself and Tim hard, Tim for being so close to the family and we would both like to help these boys out. Tim, myself and a couple of other lads, Alexander Spadavecchia and Adam Marc Green are already planning a sponsored bike ride later on in the year to try and raise some money to help them in any way we can. But I’ve also set up this just giving page and I’m begging for anyone out there to be kind enough to donate a little to try and get these two boys back on their feet. PLEASE SHARE, as I want to show these boys as much support as possible. Thank you x

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/nathanlukephillips"

The latest news is that the Just Giving page has already passed the £5,000 mark.

As I'm sure you'll agree, it's a tragic story and I'm determined to do as much as I can to raise as much money as possible for the two lads.

So, wish me luck. I'll be encouraging everyone I know to follow this thread so expect a few more guests in here over the next few weeks.

The only slightly bum clenching problem is the chainset and brakeset are being shipped from China,

Won't there be customs duty on those, plus VAT, plus the PO fee for collecting the VAT?

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Well I timed that well, just walked through the back door as the posty knocked at the front. Yet another package!

DSC_1053.JPG

Looks like the cuddly toys' excitement is yet to wane.
DSC_1054.JPG

Not a bad little rack bag for a tenner.

minininjarob

I would be tempted to put a higher rise stem on that GT so you can look up and enjoy the views a bit more. Maybe some butterfly bars too.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I would be tempted to put a higher rise stem on that GT so you can look up and enjoy the views a bit more. Maybe some butterfly bars too.
I'm starting to lean that way after reading one of the earlier posts, in the original photo it does look rather low.

I'll be refitting the original one for starters and see how I get on.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
To stop this thread degenerating into the equivalent of one of those YouTube videos where you watch over privileged Americans unwrapping expensive toys, I thought I'd best pull my finger out and actually do something constructive.

The one slight drawback with that idea is that I am yet to receive any combination of parts that I can actually fit together. So the only thing I could think of doing was polishing my original bits (steady @Fnaar).

So, straight from the parts bin:

DSC_1055.JPG

After a thorough wash:

DSC_1056.JPG

Finally, after the first polish:

DSC_1058.JPG

Not bad for a first attempt methinks (although I don't think my right arm has had so much use since I was fourteen).

Makes a change from opening parcels anyway.

The rims are the same but I've gone for the dynamo hub with 36 spokes as opposed to the current 32. And they're shiny!

Joking apart, the current rims are over twenty years old and I've never been great in the past at changing the pads as often as I should. I vividly remember the metal on metal screeching on an unexpectedly fast descent on my way to France some time ago. It wouldn't surprise me if I had thicker fag papers than those rims.

Fair enough, so! ^_^
A winter project for you will be to play around with the old ones! Can the hubs be serviced? Spoke replacement/tensioning etc!
You see, this is loads of fun! ^_^^_^

To stop this thread degenerating into the equivalent of one of those YouTube videos where you watch over privileged Americans unwrapping expensive toys, I thought I'd best pull my finger out and actually do something constructive.

It's a great feeling when you bring something back, isn't it? ^_^

Keep on rolling!

Alan O

Über Member
I'm starting to lean that way after reading one of the earlier posts, in the original photo it does look rather low.

I'll be refitting the original one for starters and see how I get on.
I've got a spare set of butterfly bars if they're any use to you, 25.4mm mount. No charge - just send me a PM with your address if you want them.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Fair enough, so! ^_^
A winter project for you will be to play around with the old ones! Can the hubs be serviced? Spoke replacement/tensioning etc!
You see, this is loads of fun! ^_^^_^
Already planning that! The original hubs look immaculate. Once the build is complete, they'll be my practice set.

Sorry to be a bore. Is that the chainset? My understanding was that anything over £15 value triggered extra charges. Interested in how this pans out.

Nice thread.

Alan O

Über Member
What a lovely offer! I may just take you up on that.
Yes, please do - it's a modest gesture compared to what you and others are doing for those two lads.

Seeing that you're starting here in Liverpool, I'd love to join you for the ride. But it happens to be the day of my 60th birthday, and I can think of one dearly beloved person who would be less than pleased if I finished the day 120 miles away in Nuneaton :wacko:

Anyway, the butterfly bars... I got them a couple of years ago when I was also building a touring bike - mine is based on a 1980s Raleigh Royal touring frame I got for £40. I know a lot of cycle tourists love them and it seemed like the ideal time to try them. And they're actually very nice - I can see why people like them so much as they offer some very comfortable hand positions.

But I think that, after my decades in the saddle, my brain is so tied to the randonneur pattern drop bar that I just can't manage without my drops.

So, the butterfly is all yours if you want to try it - and if you find you don't like it and don't want to keep it, just pass it forward to someone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom