No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A 26" rigid MTB seems an entirely sensible base for a tourer, as you've got plenty of gear ratios and fairly relaxed frame geometry.
Things that are standing out to me are:-
Tyre choice, you don't really want to cover long distances on draggy knobblys do you?
Lack of mudguards.
Bar height doesn't look very comfortable.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
A 26" rigid MTB seems an entirely sensible base for a tourer, as you've got plenty of gear ratios and fairly relaxed frame geometry.
Things that are standing out to me are:-
Tyre choice, you don't really want to cover long distances on draggy knobblys do you?
Lack of mudguards.
Bar height doesn't look very comfortable.
OK, I may as well list some of the things I'm intending to do with the build.

The only things I'm keeping from the original bike are the frame, the forks, the seatpost, the head tube and the bars.

Everything else was pretty much rusted to sludge (although the BB still seems fine so will go in the spare parts bin).

New wheels with dynamo hub ordered (including front and rear lights so saves me from worrying about compatibility), Marathon Supreme tyres and slime tubes (belt and braces), full Alivio groupset and Alivio V brake set, Jagwire brake and gear cable set (with orange outers (trust me, I know what I'm doing!)), Ergon grips, an admittedly cheap rear rack and panniers and a heartfelt prayer to whatever gods there may be that my girlfriend doesn't see my credit card statement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Oh and SKS Bluemels mud guards. And some GT decals. And probably lots of other stuff I've already forgotten.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Sure everything will be fine, my first few tours were on a £250 spesh hybrid, never let me down, but my fitness/ability did :blush: Sounds like you are going to enjoy the whole journey though & that's the main thing :okay:

Elysian_Roads

Have to agree with @Nigel-YZ1, it's time for another epic bike build thread. Good luck @Serge, looking forward to seeing how you progress.:okay:

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I have to say that since the magnificent bamboo bike thread I've been looking for a constructive thread to follow, and having put the Brexit thread on ignore I'm sure this thread will renew my faith in the future if not humanity. If not there's always copious amounts of Koppaberg in the fridge.

Not like there's any pressure you understand :okay:
Aaagh! Please don't compare this to the bamboo bike thread, people will just end up severely disappointed! It's going to be more like a bamboozled bike thread.

Elysian_Roads

Aaagh! Please don't compare this to the bamboo bike thread, people will just end up severely disappointed! It's going to be more like a bamboozled bike thread.
Don't worry about that.

A lot of the interest in a thread like this is to see how problems that arise are dealt with, especially for those following whose spannering knowledge is pretty non existent but would like to have a go.:whistle:

Elysian_Roads

Look on it less as a problem, more of a life enriching opportunity.... Which I am sure I will the next time I go to tackle a task on the bike and end up with a lot of head scratching ^_^.

Top Bottom