No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No - serge just proved that bikes are simple things......take your time and they are easy to work on.
Yes...….. and no.
Simple for some, but others just don't get 'it' and cannot get there head around things like bearing pre-load or gear indexing. There are people in life that just cannot, and should not, be allowed to pick up a tool as they have zero understanding or aptitude in that area. This is not to say they are stupid, they can have other skills that far surpass a large proportion of the population, but they simply have no concept of mechanical assembly.

No - serge just proved that bikes are simple things......take your time and they are easy to work on.

Everything is simple when you know what you're doing.

When you don't know anything about bike mechanics, rocket science might seem easier. I know it did to me.^_^

I think this thread is less about the mechanics and technicals, and more about the spirit of building a bike,

Personally, I think just about everyone can do it. I also think everyone should do it - at least once.
But not everyone thinks they can do it.
Hopefully Serge has shown those people that the right attitude and spirit will compensate for the initial lack of knowledge.

No disrespect intended, but a bit of inspiration is, well, more ...... inspiring than being told it's not rocket science.

I'll leave the last word to the Master ;)
Alcohol and tobacco should be the first purchase for any budding bike builder. And maybe crisps.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Yes...….. and no.
Simple for some, but others just don't get 'it' and cannot get there head around things like bearing pre-load or gear indexing. There are people in life that just cannot, and should not, be allowed to pick up a tool as they have zero understanding or aptitude in that area. This is not to say they are stupid, they can have other skills that far surpass a large proportion of the population, but they simply have no concept of mechanical assembly.
I have to admit, I thought I fell into that category but I managed to prove myself wrong!

I suppose I've never been averse to trying something new though. During my working life I've been a lab technician, an odour and effluent treatment technician, a group environmental and energy manager, an environmental and quality auditor, a landscape gardener, a uPVC window and conservatory installer, a block paver, a publican and now I'm a chef. All with zero to minimal training.

I suppose all I'm trying to say is, you'd be amazed at what you can do if you just give it a bash.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have to admit, I thought I fell into that category but I managed to prove myself wrong!

I suppose I've never been averse to trying something new though. During my working life I've been a lab technician, an odour and effluent treatment technician, a group environmental and energy manager, an environmental and quality auditor, a landscape gardener, a uPVC window and conservatory installer, a block paver, a publican and now I'm a chef. All with zero to minimal training.

I suppose all I'm trying to say is, you'd be amazed at what you can do if you just give it a bash.
Absolutely, but there is a small section of the population that just cannot do certain tasks for whatever reason. As an example, my next door neighbour is a clever man, has had a successful career in business, travelled the world in a management role, given presentations to customers and colleagues and even in retirement was in demand for advice and support, yet give him an electric lawn mower and he will run over the power cable every time!

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
If you're wondering why there's been no updates today, it's because I thought it prudent to catch up on my domestic duties before the return of Mrs and Junior Serge.

I'm going to pop out and buy some cheap bar tape tomorrow as the bare bars are a little harsh on my delicate, Trump-like hands. I thought it'd give me a chance to practice before the blingy black and orange bar tape arrives as well.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yes...….. and no.
You're describing me Skol (except maybe the "other skills" bit)

tom73

Guru
If you're wondering why there's been no updates today, it's because I thought it prudent to catch up on my domestic duties before the return of Mrs and Junior Serge.

I'm going to pop out and buy some cheap bar tape tomorrow as the bare bars are a little harsh on my delicate, Trump-like hands. I thought it'd give me a chance to practice before the blingy black and orange bar tape arrives as well.

operation cover up is it :okay:

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I think I'm suffering from PBD (Post Build Depression). I just can't seem to motivate myself to do anything. I'm still sat in my dressing gown and slippers watching daytime TV. If there's anyone in the area, can you pop round and give me a slap? Cheers in advance.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Thanks for the slap whoever that was, I've finally got the bike back on the stand.

I've managed to sort out the headset wobble. Turns out I'd put the bottom bearing in upside down! I told you I was an amateur.

I'm trying to sort out the front derailleur now. It seems to be sticking for some reason, it won't shift down without me manually pushing it into place. I'm a bit stumped at the moment. Nearly there though.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Turns out I'm an idiot. I finally realised I'd fixed my lock mount around the gear cable on the downtube, no wonder it wouldn't shift!

All sorted now and ready for a quick bimble.

Well, I think that's about it then. Many thanks for all the comments, advice and encouragement. I literally could not have done it without you.

Hopefully I'll start seeing you on some forum rides in the near future.

That's all folks!

That's all folks!

Whoah, there, Serge!

That's all??

What about the price list? And the Dummy's guide to Building a bike?

At least the prices? You promised! ^_^

We understand if a "new" poster comes along and gives an accurate picture of the prices because you've "lost" all the details ^_^

And then there's this .......
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/members-travelogues.46/

You think "that's all"?
Silly Boy ^_^^_^

Top Bottom