No Ruddy Idea But Here Goes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
A very entertaining thread @Serge.

My question is where did you get the decals from?

I am vaguely thinking of repainting my frame, but haven't found anywhere selling Genesis decals

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
I decided "sod it, I'm going out", donned full waterproofs and set off.

DSC_1181.JPG

Oh my god, it's so comfortable. I'd forgotten how comfy big fat tyres are.

The brakes are excellent, I do prefer V brakes to cantilevers.

The gears definitely need adjustment, it was pot luck which gear I was going to end up in.

The biggest problem though is there was definitely play in the steerer. I'll strip that down tomorrow and see what's occurring.

All in all though, chuffed to bits. I've already plotted a nice 50 odd mile route for Monday to give it a proper working. I'm sure my toolkit will fit in the panniers!

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
It's not rocket science, bikes are pretty simple things
They look more complicated than they are, certainly. I think it's a fear of the unknown that held me back at first.

With a deadline and you lot on my back I really had no choice but to dive in and give it a bash.

Great fun and very satisfying. Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone, it really made a difference.

tom73

Guru
Out all day and I find a finished bike :okay:

Great work man , one cracking bike you’ve put together.

I salute you sir :notworthy:

Enjoy the ride but just remember if the wheel come’s off don’t be going off on one about just which numbly did that. ;)

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
@Serge fantastic job, really well done, you have a talent for making bike mechanics easy!
What is your mini pump? I love the look of it, and the way you fitted it to the bike.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...gQOXh4pM--mCyNkGapv61p45me1eQwYoaAmcGEALw_wcB

This is the pump, it's a good deal at the moment. I'm sure I paid about £35.00 for mine.

And thanks, you certainly gave me a much needed kick up the backside when you made this a featured thread (swine!).

And it is a lot more straightforward than you think. You can always rely on YouTube if you get completely stuck, although I found myself using it less and less at the build progressed.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I decided "sod it, I'm going out", donned full waterproofs and set off.

View attachment 426674
Oh my god, it's so comfortable. I'd forgotten how comfy big fat tyres are.

The brakes are excellent, I do prefer V brakes to cantilevers.

The gears definitely need adjustment, it was pot luck which gear I was going to end up in.

The biggest problem though is there was definitely play in the steerer. I'll strip that down tomorrow and see what's occurring.

All in all though, chuffed to bits. I've already plotted a nice 50 odd mile route for Monday to give it a proper working. I'm sure my toolkit will fit in the panniers!
The headset probably just needs adjusting.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Well done, Serge,
For a first build loose gears and steering is an excellent result!
A bit of tweaking and all should be good.

I hope you've many happy tours on that machine.

I'm sure this thread will be an inspiration for many people...... and for bike shops to start selling Carlsberg & cigars! ^_^^_^

Happy Riding!
Alcohol and tobacco should be the first purchase for any budding bike builder. And maybe crisps.

Top Bottom