No substitute for a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
Just because i live in London now doesn't mean i always lived there. Welsh hill farmers seem to manage in old Subarus. I bought my 1st 4x4 when i was having to go on quarry call outs and drive through 3 or 3 feet of thick mud to get to the problem so they were never vanity vehicles

I also posses a B+E licence so know the rules and laws regarding towing
Outbacks have a max towing weight of 1700 braked or 1150 unbraked, but I wouldn't want to be towing that much in one. The clue is sheep farmer. A trailer with ~6 sheep in it isn't going to weigh very much.

subaqua

What’s the point
What smaller vehicle is legally able to tow a 1 ton trailer with a 1.5~2 ton load in the trailer?

who dys think I am ? Quentin wilson ?

subaqua

What’s the point
Outbacks have a max towing weight of 1700 braked or 1150 unbraked, but I wouldn't want to be towing that much in one. The clue is sheep farmer. A trailer with ~6 sheep in it isn't going to weigh very much.

750kg unbraked is the law or do you mean train weight ?

green1

Über Member
750kg unbraked is the law or do you mean train weight ?
Thats the max towing weight the chassis can take. If I tried to tow my loaded trailer with that it would pull the back of the chassis off the car. We did that with an old Land Rover series 3 back of the chassis had to be replaced twice in 2 years.

subaqua

What’s the point
Thats the max towing weight the chassis can take. If I tried to tow my loaded trailer with that it would pull the back of the chassis off the car. We did that with an old Land Rover series 3 back of the chassis had to be replaced twice in 2 years.

I know what you mean. the last jeep was rated for 3500Kg - it would pull well over twice that without complaint ( was done many times on Quarries and up in them thar hills )

Linford

Just because i live in London now doesn't mean i always lived there. Welsh hill farmers seem to manage in old Subarus. I bought my 1st 4x4 when i was having to go on quarry call outs and drive through 3 or 3 feet of thick mud to get to the problem so they were never vanity vehicles

I also posses a B+E licence so know the rules and laws regarding towing

So why make out you didn't ? - If you were familar with the regs and requirements of moving heavy loads around, why question it ?

FWIW, I looked at getting Subaru Forester as a towing vehicle, but it simply wasn't heavy enough. In addition to this, the transmission is AWD as opposed to 4WD which means that it is a lot less capable coping with low traction conditions like my car which has deep and wide tread patterned all terrain tyres, auto locking hubs as well as an LSD on the back axle, and a centre locking differential to the front.

Hill farmers run tractors as well as their little pickups as they don't need to transport their animals to events 30 miles up the motorway at the weeekends.
The vehicle is fit for purpose at the end of the day, and if the hill farmers needed a bigger one, I have no doubt they would just go and get one....

subaqua

What’s the point
So why make out you didn't ? - If you were familar with the regs and requirements of moving heavy loads around, why question it ?

FWIW, I looked at getting Subaru Forester as a towing vehicle, but it simply wasn't heavy enough. In addition to this, the transmission is AWD as opposed to 4WD which means that it is a lot less capable coping with low traction conditions like my car which has deep and wide tread,pattern all terrain tyres, auto locking hubs as well as an LSD on the back axle, and a centre locking differential to the front.

Hill farmers run tractors as well as their little pickups as they don't need to transport their animals to events 30 miles up the motorway at the weeekends.
The vehicle is fit for purpose at the end of the day, and if the hill farmers needed a bigger one, I have no doubht they would just go and get one....

where did i do that? or are you having another of your episodes where you imagine things people post

Linford

where did i do that? or are you having another of your episodes where you imagine things people post

You were asking about a small vehicle with the same towing capacity as a larger heavier one.

It is all about Mass, not Horse Power.

subaqua

What’s the point
You were asking about a small vehicle with the same towing capacity as a larger heavier one.

It is all about Mass, not Horse Power.

its not often i get to use this
leavetheinternetedit.jpg

it wasn't me who asked.

Linford

its not often i get to use this
leavetheinternetedit.jpg

it wasn't me who asked.

What you said was :-
Post - #156
Nobody NEEDS a 4x4. theres thousands of smaller vehicles that will pull a trailer full of hay that don't use as much fuel or take up as much space on the roads , and probably don't have some of the blindspots your WP has.

Green1 asked you to name one which can tow a heavier load safely than its own mass (or in so many words) which you have yet too

I'm still waiting for your answers - Oh, the space on the roads is a red herring. My car has a smaller footprint than a Mondeo estate - Vehicle height doesn't equate to congestion :rolleyes: , and the migh higher viewing platform gives a much bigger advantage than a lowered sports car on country roads with high hedges.:thumbsup:

You seem to have the answers to it all, so fill your boots and answer the question ^_^

Name a car which can safely do what mine does with the same offroad ability and has a significantly smaller footprint ? - needs to tow 2000kg :thumbsup:

DRHysted

Guru
In the same way as a helmet saved your life?

No.
Once was when towing the trailer (pretty light at one tonne), I had to take avoiding action due to a super mini driver trying to take my bonnet off (I don't know what it is about super mini drivers but they all seem to be idiots). Stopping myself from killing the other road user by becoming involved in a horrific crash of their actions, unsettled the trailer to such a point that one wheel became airbourne. Due to my truck weighing 2.5 tonnes I managed to get everything back under control, it took all three lanes of the motorway. If i had been driving a normal weight car (as I do now) the torsional forces from the trailer would have pulled the car over.

I now tow the same trailer with a Mondeo estate which weighs 1800kg, and I have had to adapt my driving style as the trailer can drive the car. The greater mass of the towing vehicle makes for a stable and safe (both for yourself and other road users) platform.

DRHysted

Guru
I am not defending Linford, as I don't know him or what he has done in the past.

But I like the live and let live approach to life. I can not stand the haters, the banners, or the people who believe they know what others need. Need has many different aspects, my mother has 6 dogs, they are essential to her mental well being, does this mean she needs them.

To know a man you must walk a mile in his shoes. Old but true.

Top Bottom