No substitute for a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

No.
Once was when towing the trailer (pretty light at one tonne), I had to take avoiding action due to a super mini driver trying to take my bonnet off (I don't know what it is about super mini drivers but they all seem to be idiots). Stopping myself from killing the other road user by becoming involved in a horrific crash of their actions, unsettled the trailer to such a point that one wheel became airbourne. Due to my truck weighing 2.5 tonnes I managed to get everything back under control, it took all three lanes of the motorway. If i had been driving a normal weight car (as I do now) the torsional forces from the trailer would have pulled the car over.

I now tow the same trailer with a Mondeo estate which weighs 1800kg, and I have had to adapt my driving style as the trailer can drive the car. The greater mass of the towing vehicle makes for a stable and safe (both for yourself and other road users) platform.

Er, something you need to know - Anecdotal evidence from real world experiences is irrelevant to SRW. As a statistician, he needs cold hard numbers which he can manipulate to give an answer which fits in with his world view :thumbsup:

Linford

2078391 said:
Just stop it.

Well if I did that, I'd get in everybody's way. I think they should ban silly sports cars which have a viewing height of a 3 year old, and replace them with 4x4's which have a similar viewing height as a cycle :thumbsup:

Overtaking in a low car on country roads is well dangerous because of that :sad:

DRHysted

Guru
Er, something you need to know - Anecdotal evidence from real world experiences is irrelevant to SRW. As a statistician, he needs cold hard numbers which he can manipulate to give an answer which fits in with his world view :thumbsup:

I actually did an A level in statistics.

green1

Über Member
Well if I did that, I'd get in everybody's way. I think they should ban silly sports cars which have a viewing height of a 3 year old, and replace them with 4x4's which have a similar viewing height as a cycle :thumbsup:

Overtaking in a low car on country roads is well dangerous because of that :sad:
Deciding when to go takes longer, but once you decide to go and sink your foot the time on the wrong side of the road is a fair bit shorter. :whistle:

400bhp

Guru

Why the need to be so nasty/snide?

Stuff like this really doesn't help.

DRHysted

Guru
Tell me you don't do it for a job...please ^_^

No, but I learnt alot.
The main thing being don't trust statistics unless you have the raw data.

Linford

Why the need to be so nasty/snide?

Stuff like this really doesn't help.

You've gone and done it now with that quote. I'm on his ignore list after he threw his toys. It isn't nice being told by him that any real life experiences have no value because they can't neccessarily be backed up with a dataset. See what he has said to me over the years and I'm quite polite by comparison...

400bhp

Guru
You've gone and done it now with that quote. I'm on his ignore list after he threw his toys. It isn't nice being told by him that any real life experiences have no value because they can't neccessarily be backed up with a dataset. See what he has said to me over the years and I'm quite polite by comparison...

I don't know the background, but why not put him on ignore then ignore him/don't bring him up in conversation?

It doesn't achieve anything does it?

Linford

Deciding when to go takes longer, but once you decide to go and sink your foot the time on the wrong side of the road is a fair bit shorter. :whistle:

Now I prefer the m/bike to cars. Same viewing height, and in my case 670BHP per tonne at the back wheel and a lot easier to get back onto the correct side of the road ;) The 4x4 is just plodding wheels to move stuff around with

Top Bottom