No such thing as a free lunch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

domtyler said:
More like seven or eight quid in Itsu generally when I do buy lunch here.

So if you up the average to seven pounds fifty then that works out at:

46*5*7.5= £1,725 :ohmy::ohmy:

you spend SEVEN OR EIGHT QUID in the canteen? ;) :biggrin: rip off.
you wanna walk down the road and go to a kiosk that sells jacket potatoes or something.
I often get a jacket potato with beans, AND a cornish pasty, AND a large baguette to eat later before cycling home, for about a fiver.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
We save £4 a day in bus fares just cycling the school run alone!
And we all have packed lunches too.
Skint but happy tho.

bonj2

I really don't understand skint people who live in london. London's an expensive place to live. OK, it's good, but it's not worth being skint for.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Today I have a bread roll (one of a pack of 6 reduced to 30p to clear). 5p. Two slices of salami - about 6p. Cream cheese - at a guess, 5p's worth. One donut from a reduced pack of 4 - 10p (luxury!). Tea - I can make at work - call it a 10p for milk and teabag. That's <counts> 36p.

Yesterday, due to not getting to the shops the day before, I had to buy a sarnie, crisps and twix from Morrisons - and that only set me back 1.86 (but the sandwich was pretty thin on filling).

£5 for lunch, what a luxury!

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
Today I have a bread roll (one of a pack of 6 reduced to 30p to clear). 5p. Two slices of salami - about 6p. Cream cheese - at a guess, 5p's worth. One donut from a reduced pack of 4 - 10p (luxury!). Tea - I can make at work - call it a 10p for milk and teabag. That's <counts> 36p.

Yesterday, due to not getting to the shops the day before, I had to buy a sarnie, crisps and twix from Morrisons - and that only set me back 1.86 (but the sandwich was pretty thin on filling).

£5 for lunch, what a luxury!

Yuck! :wacko:

Who would want to eat like that though?

Mr Pig

I'm the same. I was thinking about how much I could justify spending on a new bike, then I realised a £500 bike would pay for itself in no time on comuting alone! We have a car but it's the rest of the family who use it most, I could live without it.

Alcdrew

It is amazing, I've just done some quick sums and I save a fortune. Worked out todays packed lunch cost me circa £1.36, so say an average of £1.50 PD, compared to the other day when I went over Tesco and got lunch as I left my packed one at home which cost me £4.80. I'm saving £3.30 PD based on say 200 meals a year (to allow for days off work and days I forget/ don't have packed lunch) I'm saving £660 per year, on food alone. Been awhile since I drove to work, but sure that used to cost me £10 a week in petrol, then other running costs of average £600 per year(service, MOT, Insurance etc..) thats at least another £1000-1100 per year.

So total saving £1,600-1,700 per year. Not quite as good as DOM, but still good.

domtyler said:
Who would want to eat like that though?

Pensioners. You see them kicking each others sticks out at the 'reduced to make a quick buck, before it goes to dogfood' section.

Include the costs of making your own lunch, bread, filling, biscuits/crisps and you won't be saving that much, half what you think. I think I went to the trouble of working it out once and found I could just compete with the 'man in a van' sandwich makers, knocking 'em out at £1.50 a throw. Mine were better quality though, I think he actually raided the supermarket bins :wacko:

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
Are you Martin Lewis in disguise? :wacko:

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Patrick Stevens said:
I suspect that Dom is more used to fillings of hand harvested scallops smoked over sessile oak chips and garnished with dill and fingers of gravadlax. :wacko:

Who told you? ;)

Top Bottom