No such thing as a free lunch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
By bringing sandwiches from home I have calculated that I am saving myself over a hundred pounds a month!

By cycling to work I am saving another hundred and fifty!

Just these two little things are saving me around three grand a year! :biggrin:

And I don't even have to make the sarnies myself! :sad:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Result! Drinks are on you!

cannondale boy

Über Member
I have been more cautious when it comes to lunch time now. The price of everything has went up steeply because of petrol prices + proviteering (but know one would tell you that).

It was a year ago that i realised that i was spending to much, and yes the sandwich industry is huge...they make £4.5 billion a year and employ 300,000!!!!

A home made sandwich is the way to go.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
cannondale boy said:
I have been more cautious when it comes to lunch time now. The price of everything has went up steeply because of petrol prices + proviteering (but know one would tell you that).

It was a year ago that i realised that i was spending to much, and yes the sandwich industry is huge...they make £4.5 billion a year and employ 300,000!!!!

A home made sandwich is the way to go.

It is quite amazing how much it adds up isn't it?

Three grand a year is most definitely not to be sniffed at! :sad:

ChrisKH

Guru
I started doing this last year (sandwiches) and I now spend nothing in the week, which is probably just as well as my wife spends enough for both of us.........then there's junior's piano and orchestra fees, cubs, football, basketball, swimming,......is it any wonder I'm broke? :sad:

domtyler said:
By bringing sandwiches from home I have calculated that I am saving myself over a hundred pounds a month!

By cycling to work I am saving another hundred and fifty!

Just these two little things are saving me around three grand a year! :biggrin:

And I don't even have to make the sarnies myself! :sad:

So you spend over £4.50 a day just on sandwiches (assuming you work 5 days a week)! So what is the sandwich of kings? :biggrin:

Actually, if you have done your sums right and taken into account the food that is required to make your own sandwiches up then you must have been spending a fortune on sandwiches! :sad:

ChrisKH

Guru
magnatom said:
So you spend over £4.50 a day just on sandwiches (assuming you work 5 days a week)! So what is the sandwich of kings? :sad:

£4.50 is about average for a sandwich, packet of crisps and a soft drink down south.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
So you spend over £4.50 a day just on sandwiches (assuming you work 5 days a week)! So what is the sandwich of kings? :sad:

More like seven or eight quid in Itsu generally when I do buy lunch here.

So if you up the average to seven pounds fifty then that works out at:

46*5*7.5= £1,725 :biggrin::ohmy:

domtyler said:
More like seven or eight quid in Itsu generally when I do buy lunch here.

So if you up the average to seven pounds fifty then that works out at:

46*5*7.5= £1,725 :sad::ohmy:

What ever happened to the simple ham sarnie?

Cycling 'saves' me £180 approx on the train per month.
I bake me bread (waste of time says Dom :biggrin:) and have a cheese sandwich every day! :biggrin: And two bits of flapjack padded out with assorted fruits (no - the edible sort):sad:
Must save a fortune - and doesn't cost a penny in gas either - the oven is electric.:biggrin:

Sometimes succumb to the odd Patisserie Valerie custard doughnut though :biggrin: - if someone is passing by Old Compton Street for any reason...

Then there is the health, bonhommie and code of the road to respect and be grateful for - and the weather, and all the goodies necessary for cycles to roll.:biggrin:

Yeah - squids in!

Maz

Guru
On the odd day I drive to work I am fully laden with shopping bags full of ironed clothes and microwave rice, fruit n stuff to last me at least a month.

bonj2

i save at least a fiver every time I cycle to work. You hardly save any taking your own sandwiches. Dont' know how you've arrived at a 3-figure sum monthly. What do you have at the canteen instead, truffles and caviar?

Top Bottom