No such thing as a free lunch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Patrick Stevens said:
Someone went round his restaurants the other day and published a list of all the out of season stuff flown in from Thailand etc.

Ramsey has interests in and is the figurehead of the Verre Restaurant in Dubai, where just about everything is flown in out of season.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Arch is right about buying bread for 30p instead of over a pound. You usually get the reduced bakery stuff after 8pm. Once i've got the bread, i usually freeze it as i might not use it in 2 days!

Maz

Guru
If you go to a supermarket towards closing time on the day before Good Friday, you can pick up dirt cheap bunches of bananas...10 for 10p for example. Bananas are too perishable and won't keep in the refrigeration units.

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Have a look here http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk/

Just came across it the other day. Some 'apparently' more expensive versions of food are just an excuse for companies to up the price. Often the differences between cheaper and more expensive items taste and nutrition wise are a lot less than you think....

Absolutely. I've found that Sainsburys basic chopped tinned tomatoes (21p) are every bit as good as Napolitana ones or similar at 45p or more.

Shrink wrap 4 Baking Potatoes in a tray and hup! goes the price compared to picking 4 big ones out of the loose spuds...

And Cannondaleboy is right - if I had a proper sized freezer, and not just an icebox, I'd never have to buy a full priced loaf ever (as it is, I managed mostly to live off reduced rolls, because I can't get through a loaf before it goes off).

Got a nice single portion of smoked haddock for a quid yesterday (half price)... Shop at 5pm, that's the trick...

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
I've found that Sainsburys basic chopped tinned tomatoes (21p) are every bit as good as Napolitana ones or similar at 45p or more...
I wish you could convince my wife about that :smile:

Maz said:
I wish you could convince my wife about that :biggrin:

Just think if you bought 1250 Sainsburys chopped tomato tins you would save £300, enough to buy a reasonable new bike!! :sad:

Seriously though we do use chopped tomatoes so I will be informing the wife of your suggestion. Woe betide if you are wrong......:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
I wish you could convince my wife about that :sad:

Just tell her I say so...:smile:

Really, after the first year of Uni as a mature student, I'd tried most economy brands of everything, and it's true some things are not so good, but tinned tomatoes are pretty standard. You can always add a good squidge of tomato purree if they seem a bit thin.

Rice is another thing - there's not much you can do to bugger it up, ditto dry pasta...

Dead cheap teabags however... We invented the term 'dog tea'... Now I get poncey Clipper Fairtrade;), but I get then cheap because a bunch of us have formed a little co-op and get stuff in bulk from a whole food wholesaler. I get a big bag of basmati rice the same way...

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
Well, you certainly implied you ate them, or that's what it sounded like to me. There's a simple way to get round the battery chicken issue if you're poor - don't eat chicken except on special occasions - same applies to other meats. Don't eat preprocessed ready meal crap, and don't buy more than you need and end up eating more than you ought, or chucking out leftovers. Learn to use cheaper cuts. I grew up in a very frugal household and it's habit I've kept, thankfully.

Ramsey is obviously promoting his latest book or something, and going over the top for attention. That said, there is no reason why we have to have the choice of asparagus or green beans in December - unless they are a glut frozen from the summer.

I am certain that a lot of the chicken I eat is in fact battery birds, like if we go to Nando's or buy chicken pieces for sandwiches etc. But if we have roast chicken then that would be a decent bird.

BTW, I must thank you for your advice re: making the roast last into three meals. We have done this the last couple of times, save some for a curry or whatever the next day and boil up all the bones and left overs for stock to make Risotto etc. Works a treat thanks! :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Well just buy one then!

http://www.asda-electricals.co.uk/shop/product/norfrost/c4cfw.html

At less than a hundred quid, it would surely pay for itself in a year or two.

yeah, I should have got round to getting one when I had more money, although it would involve some rejigging in my tiny kitchen to fit it in. And now, well, I may not be there long term and it would be a pain to relocate it when I move. Anyway, I've got into the habit of managing. I do have some freezer space, I use it for the very best bargains like nice sausages or cuts of meat. Anyway, glad to hear the roast chicken advice is working well - it's just what I grew up with, and my Mum before me and all the generations back no doubt, to our Saxon roots. My Dad's side, having been Normans, probably ate roast suckling pig everynight with pheasant garnish (or peasant!). Mind you, my Great granddad on that side went from running a baker and confectioners shop to dying in the workhouse, so I'm not sure when it went wrong.... But I digress...

Magna, something I've found with tomatoes is that a good shake before you open them redistributes the juice a bit - what can look like thin juice unshaken, is thicker if you give it a quick shake - plus it means you get less adhering to the tin at the bottom. Never waste the bits sticking to the bottom.. :smile:(oo er...)

We are on an economy drive at the moment. I earn a reasonable wage as does my wife, however, with two kids now going to nursery which pretty much eats up my wifes wages (she works 2.5 days now) a new car to pay for (needed the extra space) and household bills rising things are certainly tighter. So if I can save money I will.

One for the professionals out there. Remember you can claim back tax on registration fees you need to pay to many professional bodies. What makes it really worthwhile is if you haven't been doing it up until now you can get 6 years worth of tax back! When you consider how much these fees are and that you can get 22% back (standard tax payer) then it can add up. I am (have to be) a member of two professional bodies, and my wife is a member of one as well, so between us it could be a reasonable sum.

Hey maybe we should set up a money saving thread! :smile:

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Hey maybe we should set up a money saving thread! :angry:

I already did, you're in it!! :angry:;)

Aunty is also interested in looking after us it seems:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7413264.stm

Could you go for a day without spending a single penny in the shops? How about two days then? Or even three on the trot?

I've been on home made sandwiches for years now which has saved me thousands, also there is a kettle at work so that I can make tea here rather than buy coffee, cycling instead of the tube, my own breakfast cereal and milk in the fridge at work. I certainly notice a big difference in my bank balance these days when all these measures are put together. :o):biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom