No such thing as a free lunch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Lets think... Yesterday I picked up a sarnie, a drink, and some crisps. Think I spent about three quid.

I then cycled out across the fen, picked half a kilo of wild mushrooms and a bag load of wild salad.

Should I have to pay market value for a whole load of wild herbs and mushrooms, I'd be in profit by about £30. Obviously, I wouldn't be buying such things :smile:

I don't worry about spending two, three, five or even seven or eight quid on lunch. Most of the food we eat is from the allotment, bought in bulk from local wholesalers and farmers (especially meat), or picked wild. We both cycle, saving dosh there too of course.

Is there any such thing as a free lunch? Probably not, but learn to identify a few wild plants to be found in nearly any urban park or wild space and you can effectively run a healthy profit.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Cab said:
Lets think... Yesterday I picked up a sarnie, a drink, and some crisps. Think I spent about three quid.

I then cycled out across the fen, picked half a kilo of wild mushrooms and a bag load of wild salad.

Should I have to pay market value for a whole load of wild herbs and mushrooms, I'd be in profit by about £30. Obviously, I wouldn't be buying such things :rolleyes:

I don't worry about spending two, three, five or even seven or eight quid on lunch. Most of the food we eat is from the allotment, bought in bulk from local wholesalers and farmers (especially meat), or picked wild. We both cycle, saving dosh there too of course.

Is there any such thing as a free lunch? Probably not, but learn to identify a few wild plants to be found in nearly any urban park or wild space and you can effectively run a healthy profit.

Sounds like good advice although the person on the telly this morning was showing how Cow Parsley can be made into a nice broth but not to confuse it with the almost identical in appearance Hemlock which is highly poisonous!!

I think I will leave my trust in the retailers to not sell me anything poisonous rather than run that risk! :smile::rolleyes:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I make my own sarnies and tea at work but the tinned mackerel, corned beef, cheese and PG Tips are a bit pricey so I'm thinking of slaughtering the neighbourhood cats and reaping the nettles as a cost-cutting excercise. I'll let you know if it works.
I'll use the skins as carpet slippers.:smile:

Cab

domtyler said:
Sounds like good advice although the person on the telly this morning was showing how Cow Parsley can be made into a nice broth but not to confuse it with the almost identical in appearance Hemlock which is highly poisonous!!

Naah, hemlock is lacier, bigger, has a spotty stem and smells radically different. Cow parsley is okay in a soup, but better mixed with some other wild herbs.

Top Bottom