No such thing as a free lunch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't forget, making your own will save on the other sort of pounds - as you probably won't be filling it with mayo !

Home made Sarnies save me a quid or so a day, but also stop me going to the shops for more stuff. Petrol is my biggie - £350 per month to maybe £30 these days maximum (and it's the posh stuff I use as the car get's so little use)........ but that also involved changing jobs.

Oh, and over 30lbs of weight lost....

Arch

Married to Night Train
What's wrong with my lunch - the filling or the reductions? You're not one of those daft people who thinks food becomes poisonous once the sell by date is up are you, dom?

I'd rather spend 30p on a pack of rolls that will last me perfectly well for a couple of days, than £1.50 on a huge loaf that will go off by the time I get to the end.

GrahamG

Guru
I'd definitely spend £3 on lunch here, not including fruit, so that's over £60 a month - although I treat myself to a Falafel King once a week.

Dom - I've recently discovered the joys of not making them myself after moving in with the other half :biggrin: I cook most nights though :evil:

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
What's wrong with my lunch - the filling or the reductions? You're not one of those daft people who thinks food becomes poisonous once the sell by date is up are you, dom?

I'd rather spend 30p on a pack of rolls that will last me perfectly well for a couple of days, than £1.50 on a huge loaf that will go off by the time I get to the end.

I suppose, but don't you wonder about the production? How exactly do they make it that cheap? What is the actual nutritional value of this stuff? What about taste and quality? Surely that bread is that spongy powdery bright white stuff?

ChrisKH

Guru
domtyler said:
I suppose, but don't you wonder about the production? How exactly do they make it that cheap? What is the actual nutritional value of this stuff? What about taste and quality? Surely that bread is that spongy powdery bright white stuff?

And what are you suggesting Dom; she makes the bread herself? I rarely see 'quality' bread available from most sandwich retailers btw.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
GrahamG said:
I'd definitely spend £3 on lunch here, not including fruit, so that's over £60 a month - although I treat myself to a Falafel King once a week.

Dom - I've recently discovered the joys of not making them myself after moving in with the other half :thumbsdown: I cook most nights though :thumbsdown:

Heh heh heh! :evil: I don't even have to cook in the evenings! :thumbsdown: Food production is definitely the wife's remit.

The flipside is that I have to take care of ALL housework and DIY! :biggrin::thumbsdown:!:thumbsdown:

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
ChrisKH said:
And what are you suggesting Dom; she makes the bread herself? I rarely see 'quality' bread available from most sandwich retailers btw.

If Arch is really on such a tight budget then there may not be an option I guess, but a half decent loaf hardly costs a fortune from the supermarkets. Personally I get most of my bread from small producers ordered through organicdelivery.co.uk as it is real bread, not made in the industrial Chorleywood process using genetically modified wheat strains. Far better for you nutritionally, and you don't have to eat as much either as it is much denser than the fluffy white crap.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:

What are you talking about? I buy reduced-to-clear rolls, so I can generally afford nicer ones. I know just the best time to go shopping, for that reason.

And a £1.50 loaf ain't the spongy powdery stuff, that's more like 25p, and horrible. A decent Hovis sliced is over a quid. I could live on the cheapest poorest quality stuff (battery chicken anyone?), but I choose to do better than that and manage by economising wherever I can without compromising quality. Reduced-to-clear stuff is an easy economy to make, and means I get better stuff for the same price.

Of course, sometimes I make a salad instead, cous cous, or pasta or I have leftovers of my own home cooked dinner, with no additives or anything. Which seems alright to me.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
If Arch is really on such a tight budget then there may not be an option I guess, but a half decent loaf hardly costs a fortune from the supermarkets. Personally I get most of my bread from small producers ordered through organicdelivery.co.uk as it is real bread, not made in the industrial Chorleywood process using genetically modified wheat strains. Far better for you nutritionally, and you don't have to eat as much either as it is much denser than the fluffy white crap.

I'm starting to wonder if you're an imposter in Dom's body. You insist on organic non GM bread, but you're happy to eat battery chicken pumped full of water and god knows what else?

ChrisKH

Guru
domtyler said:

I think that's admirable.

However, as this company delivers by overnight courier to my home address at a cost of £8.95 I won't be rushing to use them. I think this would be difficult for those on a budget.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
I'm starting to wonder if you're an imposter in Dom's body. You insist on organic non GM bread, but you're happy to eat battery chicken pumped full of water and god knows what else?

I never said I eat battery chickens myself. I was arguing for the right of the shops to provide them to people who may not be able to afford to eat top quality free range.

What gets my goat is millionaire celebrity chefs campaigning to get cheap foods banned when they would never themselves be in a position where they had to consider buying them. I see that fucker Ramsey is now trying to ban anyone from selling out of season produce from abroad!! :evil::biggrin:!

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
I never said I eat battery chickens myself. I was arguing for the right of the shops to provide them to people who may not be able to afford to eat top quality free range.

What gets my goat is millionaire celebrity chefs campaigning to get cheap foods banned when they would never themselves be in a position where they had to consider buying them. I see that fucker Ramsey is now trying to ban anyone from selling out of season produce from abroad!! :evil::biggrin:!

Well, you certainly implied you ate them, or that's what it sounded like to me. There's a simple way to get round the battery chicken issue if you're poor - don't eat chicken except on special occasions - same applies to other meats. Don't eat preprocessed ready meal crap, and don't buy more than you need and end up eating more than you ought, or chucking out leftovers. Learn to use cheaper cuts. I grew up in a very frugal household and it's habit I've kept, thankfully.

Ramsey is obviously promoting his latest book or something, and going over the top for attention. That said, there is no reason why we have to have the choice of asparagus or green beans in December - unless they are a glut frozen from the summer.

Top Bottom