No TV Licence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I think the TV licence is too cheap. I'd happily pay four or five times that to stop being advertised at without my consent.

perplexed

Guru
I've got a huge TV and a massive remote.......just sayin' ...... here's Fenton changing channel for me.

View attachment 343620

You let your butler wear shoes?

He'll be getting ideas above his station if you don't watch it...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Silly question. You have a TV, don't have an ariel (or decide it's not connected), and decide you don't use i-player, so is that OK not to have a license.

Just asking as I have young colleagues that watch lots of TV, but it's all through 'internet sources' but not I-player.

Me, I have a license and have 'other sources' !

OP
OP
numbnuts

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Silly question. You have a TV, don't have an ariel (or decide it's not connected), and decide you don't use i-player, so is that OK not to have a license.

Just asking as I have young colleagues that watch lots of TV, but it's all through 'internet sources' but not I-player.

Me, I have a license and have 'other sources' !
I think the law states - if you have a TV receiver i.e. a telly you must have a licence

rivers

How far can I go?
We have a TV, but we don't even have freeview, so no TV licence. For half the price of a TV licence, I have amazon prime and netflix. Does us fine. You don't need a TV licence if you don't receive TV.

From the TV licence website
You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

This applies to any provider or device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think the law states - if you have a TV receiver i.e. a telly you must have a licence
I think it's more a case of, you can have a TV receiver and if you convince them that it's not used for watching live broadcasts, you don't need a licence.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I think it's more a case of, you can have a TV receiver and if you convince them that it's not used for watching live broadcasts, you don't need a licence.

If you don't watch live or catch-up TV, you don't need a licence, period.

You are not under any obligation to "convince" anyone of anything.

byegad

Legendary Member
Back when the first Mrs Byegad and I married, and long before I met the present Lady Byegad, we had no TV. Every three months TV Licensing wrote to us and demanded we buy a licence. I would politely write back and tell them we didn't own a TV. Given our then penury the cost of a stamp was not easily found.

Eventually after a couple of years of this harassment I wrote a really snotty letter telling them to basically 'do one'. It was immensely satisfying to write and three months later TVL wrote threatening me with prosecution because I didn't have a licence. I ignored them, moved a few weeks later and duly started the whole sorry process again.

Should I ever find myself without a TV in the future I'll not pay, not reply and defy them to come search. I feel the £145/or so fee is good value for money, compared to SKY it's cheap. But the tactics used in chasing the fee smack of a police state.

DaveReading

That's not the case. The law says that if you have equipment installed capable of receiving a live broadcast you are required to have a license.

Only if it is installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service (Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004).

And it's licence (when used as a noun), not license.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
And what do the explanatory notes for the legislation define "installed" as...?

My understanding was connected to an aerial - certainly when my company had monitors up on the wall to brainwash us with company slogans and useless information we did not have any licenses.

We currently don't have licenses for the TVs that we use for teleconferencing either. They have tuners built in, but they are not tuned or connected to an aerial.

DaveReading

You missed a bit off your quote from Regulation 9.... "whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose."

I missed it off because, like any clause that starts "whether or not ..." it doesn't have any bearing except to confirm that there are no exceptions to the preceding.

Yes, you need a licence for watching BBC even if you also use your TV for playing DVDs. So what ?

If it is installed and capable of being used to receive a broadcast then a licence is required.

But that's not what it says.

Top Bottom