No TV Licence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Do I still need a licence if I run a cable from my neighbours virgin box ( the receiver) to a monitor in my house ?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
When anyone comes through your gate to get to your door they are allowed to presume that if the gate isnt locked that you allow them to do so.

Write to them telling them you no longer allow their employees or agents to acces your property.

If your door opens onto the street this wont work.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I suggest you read the primary legislation, which is quoted upthread. It is very clear: if you have a televisions receiver installed or (note it is 'or' - not 'and') use it for receiving broadcasts you need a licence. Nothing in the Regulations contradicts that.
The reality is different though... many people have a TV for video game use or purely for watching DVDs or listening to digital radio (or so they claim), and haven't been prosecuted for not having a license.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
From the TV Licensing site:

3.0 Licensable activity – under the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended) licensable activity broadly means using or installing any device to: a) watch or record any television programme service; b) watch or record any television programme at the same time (or virtually at the same time) as it is being shown on any television programme service; or c) (as of 1st September 2016) watch or download any BBC programme on demand on BBC iPlayer, even if it is accessed through another provider, such as Sky, Virgin Media, Freeview or BT. Licensable activity does not include: a) watching programmes by means of pre-recorded media such as DVD and Bluray; b) downloading or watching S4C TV on demand on BBC iPlayer or listening to radio programmes on BBC iPlayer. c) downloading or watching on demand programmes from other providers, such as: • ITV Hub, All 4 or Demand 5 • BT Vision, Virgin Media or Sky Go • Netflix or Now TV BBC TELEVISION LICENSING NO LICENCE NEEDED POLICY [BBC001] v4.6 Page 6 of 10 • Apple, Roku or Amazon

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/ss/Sat...goBlobs&blobwhere=1370006350329&ssbinary=true

Venod

Eh up
The law is clear (even though the TV Licensing web-site gives a somewhat different interpretation of it): if you have equipment installed capable of receiving a live broadcast you are required to have a license. TV Licensing are not required to evidence that you are watching live broadcasts.

We have been through this before and your still giving people the wrong advice.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bbc-tv-licensing.144239/

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As I indicated upthread, TV Licensing take a particular view - but the law itself is very clear. If you want to make sure that you are compliant with the law, rather than at the mercy of the whims of Crapita (who we know play fast and loose with the law) then the legislation is the thing to look at.

Well seeing as the law allow the BBC (who are TV Licensing) to decide under section 364 of the Communications Act I think people are safe

(1)A licence for the purposes of section 363 (“a TV licence”)—

(a)may be issued by the BBC subject to such restrictions and conditions as the BBC think fit

Plus - nowhere is the law defined as "installed or used". The BBC quite rightly don't count installed to just be present in the property.

U

User6179

When anyone comes through your gate to get to your door they are allowed to presume that if the gate isnt locked that you allow them to do so.

Write to them telling them you no longer allow their employees or agents to acces your property.

If your door opens onto the street this wont work.

You cant remove implied right of access in Scotland but works in England .

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Basically, unpacked and capable of being used.

That's too basic a view on what's required to constitute the offence, for if it's sitting in a room with no power lead plugged in and no aerial connected then it can not be classed as either installed or used.

From a TVL spokesthingy:

"The licensing requirement is not for ownership of a device, but for the installation and use of the TV receiving equipment.
If you only ever use television receiving equipment to watch pre-recorded DVDs or videos, or your TV receiving equipment cannot receive programmes as they are being broadcast in the UK, then you do not need a licence.

Those who wish to make it clear that they do not need a licence can take the following actions to detune their television set, but this is not compulsory:-
• remove the television from the aerial;
• cover the aerial socket so that it can't be used
• ensure that when channels on the television are selected no television signal is received."

Top Bottom