Noisy carbon bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
An organized ride last weekend was the first time I've come into contact with modern carbon road bikes in any number, actually out on the road - and I was amazed by how noisy some of them are.

Whereas my old steel bikes are practically silent, some of these were making really loud sort of whirring noises, whooshing noises, ratchety noises... can't think how best to describe them.

So I'm wondering is it the freehubs, bottom brackets, wheel bearings, or what? And why are they making them so noisy when the art of making them quiet was cracked decades ago?

mark st1

Plastic Manc
It's a noise fit for the gods. Love it :wub:

jarlrmai

Veteran
Freehub and also carbon deep sections make a lovely road noise. Other wise my carbon bike is very quiet.

Drago

Legendary Member
Carbon is a very stiff material and will transmit noise whereas steel will absorb it.

But carbon can't be stiff - its compliant and absorbs road buzz. Que confusing!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My carbon bike is silent but I do hear the noise you describe with many aero type carbon bikes i.e. Giant Propel.
It is not the noise from a freehub the rider will be pedalling and usually overtaking me.

Bryony

Veteran
My partner has just been given some carbon wheels that he has now put on his ally road bike and the wheels are quite noisy especially the clicking while he's not pedaling.

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Interesting, thanks. I hadn't thought about stiff carbon tubes acting like sound boxes, but I can see that.

Good point about freehubs too - the noisy bikes I heard were overtaking me and not coasting.

Top Bottom