1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non cyclists look upon cyclists as weird

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by johnnyb47, 12 Nov 2017.

1. johnnyb47

johnnyb47 Über Member

Hi.
    Do you ever experience people who don't cycle, judge you as a strange character for cycling. I find it really funny sometimes when talking to non cyclist friends about some of the goals I've managed ,and then to see there attitudes and expression on there faces.
    Being proud this year of managing to cycle across wales in a day ,I tell them about it when the subject of cycling crops up. Some of the comments you get back are hilarious."You must be mental" or " you've got to much spare time and need to get out more and get a life mate".
    To a non cyclist some look upon you as if you've got some sort of disease or mid life crisis going on ,and hope one day it can be cured with therapy lol.
    Just tonight a friend of mine has been doing a spot of matchmaking for me and told the "other party" I enjoy cycling but don't worry he's not obsessive with it , as if it could be some sort of potential disease i could be harbouring for the future. They often look at it as "what's the point of cycling there just to stop for a drink and bite to eat only to come back home"
    As hard as I try to explain why, they just don't get it.
    It is funny though watching there reactions of thinking I'm one bulb short of a pack :-) :-)

• Like Like x 16
  2. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

I got similar cycling to work, either in Leeds city centre or doing the four day weekend on split shifts.

Classed as completly mad for doing Dublin to Ennis in the one go/day.

• Like Like x 7
  3. BSOh

BSOh Active Member

I get smirks at times from the grown-ups in my family. As if they think its somehow childish to own a bike. But they play computer games. Go figure.

• Like Like x 16
  4. classic33

It's this time of year that the comments about being completly nuts for cycling come to the fore. Moreso if its wet & windy or there's snow on the ground.

• Like Like x 11
  5. OP
    OP
    johnnyb47

johnnyb47 Über Member

I couldn't of put those words better my myself.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

Acceptable obsessions for adults include men in shorts kicking a ball around a field, cars, beer. If you include Radio 4 listeners, add political party leadership challenges. Everthing else is trainspotting.

• Like Like x 10
  7. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

I will be swimming up and down a 25 metre swimming pool a 100 times starting at 7am, I bet you think I am a bit odd. I do.

• Like Like x 2
  8. classic33

What's wrong with trainspotting?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

FTFY

• Like Like x 5
  10. classic33

Not that strange, early morning swims.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

It can get obsessive though. My neighbour can't have a conversation about anything but cycling,watts, and zzzz
    I no longer cycle with him.

• Like Like x 4
  12. flake99please

flake99please I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

Apart from my most immediate family, I dont care what anyone else thinks of me.

• Like Like x 10
  13. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Not that strange to us maybe, but some do not understand why and think it is an odd thing to do.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Drago

Drago Guru

'Weird' in this case means 'not bone idle lazy'.

• Like Like x 7
  15. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

Only in the UK you get this type of reasoning. On the continent, cycling is well respected and valued.

• Like Like x 5