Non cyclists look upon cyclists as weird

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Normal people cycle. Nobbers don't.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Only in the UK you get this type of reasoning. On the continent, cycling is well respected and valued.

Cycling in the UK has traditionally been regarded first and foremost as a utilitarian transport activity, mostly participated in by those too young to drive and the working classes who were not wealthy enough to be able to afford to run a car. For the factory workers and people like window cleaners riding with their ladder balanced on their shoulder, cycling was simply a means to an end; it enabled them to get to the place where they earned their living. I doubt many of those riders would have chosen to go out on a bike in their spare time, just for the sake of cycling itself.
OK, there have always been some enthusiast cyclists, but they will have been vastly outnumbered by the utility ones. Most of those gave up cycling and took to cars as soon as they were able to afford NOT to have to cycle in all weathers, hence many drivers regard cyclists as "weird". Even I regard cycling in foul weather as weird, if the rider owns a car. For my, cycling should be both enjoyable and serve a purpose, and being rained heavily on, blown about all over the road, and slipping and sliding in snow & slush is not something I'd choose to do unless it was totally unavoidable. I would sooner walk a short journey in foul weather than cycle, no more pleasant, but a lot less dangerous.

Touchy subject with me too...........

Coming from a cyclist hating family doesn`t help matters, I always get bombarded with "they do this " "why do they do that?" etc etc etc. So I`m pretty much alone.

Then, when you tell anybody about something big that you are doing (I had this when doing LEJOG a few years ago), all you get is "YOU MUST BE MAD":evil:

FFS, how about some encouragement instead?!!

Finally I do love it when it`s pouring with rain and I arrive at work, all my kit on and looking like a drowned rat, only to get asked "have you cycled in?:eek:?"

I give up.........................:banghead:

If you think people see cycling as weird, try flying kites as a hobby!
In my six years of kite buggying I managed 50mph on newgale beach, got lifted 20ft by a particularly large (9 square metres) kite in barely 5mph wind and broke more bones than rugby and cycling combined!
And they still thought it was childish...:smile:

Levo-Lon

Guru
People look at me gone out at work when I say it' only 7 miles to work on the bike and 10 in the van.
They just don' get the freedom and fresh air bit.

They get even more wide eyed when I say I'll do a 20 mile ride on the way home if it' a nice day..

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yet a lot of them will happily drive to the gym and sit on a bike that doesn't go anywhere!

Yes that IS weird, but I do have to say I think going to the gym in general is weird, no matter what means of transport got you there I can't think of anything more boring or more pointless.. It always strikes me as ironic that people will buy things like cars with power-assisted everything, to reduce physical effort, then they go to the gym to lift weights etc because they do virtually no physical activity in their everyday routine.. Why not just generally do more physical activity during the course of the day, then you won't need to waste time and money down the gym!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yes that IS weird, but I do have to say I think going to the gym in general is weird, no matter what means of transport got you there I can't think of anything more boring or more pointless.. It always strikes me as ironic that people will buy things like cars with power-assisted everything, to reduce physical effort, then they go to the gym to lift weights etc because they do virtually no physical activity in their everyday routine.. Why not just generally do more physical activity during the course of the day, then you won't need to waste time and money down the gym!
Weirder still... loads of my work mates go to the gym. When i joined Aldi i reckoned it was like joining a gym but with a wage rather than fees... yet they go to the gym aswell!

Drago

Legendary Member
If you think people see cycling as weird, try flying kites as a hobby!
In my six years of kite buggying I managed 50mph on newgale beach, got lifted 20ft by a particularly large (9 square metres) kite in barely 5mph wind and broke more bones than rugby and cycling combined!
And they still thought it was childish...:smile:

That sounds dodgy, really dangerous.

I want a go!

Top Bottom