Non cyclists look upon cyclists as weird

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When you think about it cycling is a bit odd.
For example - what possesses anyone to get on a bike, pedal for 5-6 hours and then get off in exactly the same spot they started?
I freely admit to being a bit weird :smile:

just like them golfists, they spend ages whacking a ball round a field to to get it in a hole, then they take it out and start again,:wacko: and they also end up back where they started.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The weirdest bit for me is getting up at stupid o clock to go out for a ride. This Sunday it was hammering down with rain outside at 6am and the voice in my head was yelling Stop it! Go back to bed! This is not normal!
There's good reasons why our group's rides start at 10... although on Saturday we started from some of Norfolk's WW1 trenches after 11.

Riding for transport makes sense to me: it's about as quick, journey times are more consistent, parking is closer and easier, plus it gets you exercise - not sure why you wouldn't. Even in bad weather, you're gonna have to deal with that on the walk from the car park anyway or your destinations are going to be severely restricted aka no fun.

I don't get riding in circles without stopping at the fine drinking opportunities or sights along the way. You lot are odd ;)

Lonestar

Veteran
Not now but probably in the 1980's I felt a bit eccentric as to not having a car (ever) and cycling virtually everywhere.

At work I have less bother than I used to have in the past.If there is a bit if the cyclist slagging off thing again I don't get involved with the half-wits.

classic33

Leg End Member
Once told I should consider a bit of exercise. Said when having my colestorol tested(My blood was too thick!)

At the time I was doing 250 miles a weekend, and I'd stopped off at at supermarket between shifts to do a bit of shopping.

Nowt odd about cycling.

Oldbloke

Guru
Some (English) friends of ours were dumbfounded after seeing me on my bike 40 kms from home, said they think twice before driving that far.

As for my commuting days, 6 miles each way in the '90s, well some people I worked with thought I'd lost the plot completely. Even when I pointed out that my ride was quicker than the same distance in a car, they didn't get it.

Widge

Baldy Go
I get this a lot-and mostly laugh it off.......my hobby (if you can call it that!) is riding my road-bike from pub to pub around hilly South Devon. All the locals and land-lords think I am eccentric/mad/bonkers and don't hesitate to take the piz out of me...but I wear the chiding but good natured insults like a badge of honour. I am a RUBBISH roady however...mainly because of all the beer and my laborious progress up hills, so 'real' roadies 40 years my junior DO take the mickey out of me-and that stings (hic!)

Best
w

Lonestar

Veteran
When you think about it cycling is a bit odd.
For example - what possesses anyone to get on a bike, pedal for 5-6 hours and then get off in exactly the same spot they started?
I freely admit to being a bit weird :smile:

No more than whacking a ball around a golf course and trying to get it into a hole.(ooer)

....or that F1 where they whizz around a circuit all day trying to go as fast as they can.

crazyjoe101

I very rarely get this, but I am fairly young so maybe people think I have more time without family life etc.
I used to get the odd 'ohh that's too dangerous, you must be mad' from people at work but most people are quite supportive or impressed etc. if I tell them how far I end up riding on audaxes and the like. In London most people have experienced enough traffic to recognise cycling as a sensible way to commute.

People think I'm odd, and they're quite right to do so. What they don't realise is that I'm even more odd when I don't cycle. :crazy:

One of the reasons I loved my previous job is that out of a team of 7, 5 of us were regular riders and therefore there was no judgement for, e.g. riding up a mountain for the sake of it. It's the only place I've ever worked where being a rider was the norm, compared to the current place where they think I'm some kind of alien for not driving 5 miles, yet every morning the whatsapp chat is full of "omg i can't believe this traffic"

One of my favourite things ever was the looks of blank incomprehension mixed with loathing I got from truck drivers during a mid-ride lunch in a truck stop in February.

Top Bottom